New York Yankees Official Thread - at O’s, 19-10

Ellsbury basically was something that prevent signings from happening even in the year he was signed and year after. Like big name ones too.

I thought Ellsbury could have worked out for the short term due to being a lefty bat and speed but dude disappeared from the face of the earth quite literally

My wish list for 2022 season, Bring back Spider Tac and let the players use Roids and other performance enhancing ****.

Just need to develop a tackier ball. Ball has virtually no seams and is super slick, even when broken in/rubbed down.

:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:
He’s still my Captain

290DB909-AFD7-4187-8E50-808B4F0C8A1A.jpeg

if DJ regresses to who he was pre-Yankees in Colorado as opposed to somewhere in between Colorado and Yankees. WOOF

Also wouldn’t put him leadoff anymore. Need speed and athleticism on this team.

Which DJ LeMahieu will Yankees get in the future?
Ryan Morik

There was a long list of disappointments from the 2021 Yankees – the one that tops the list, arguably, was DJ LeMahieu.

After finishing in fourth and third place in the 2019 and ’20 AL MVP voting, respectively, his numbers took a massive nosedive.

His OPS this year (.711) not only was below league average, but it also was 300 points lower than his MLB-leading 1.011 from 2020. Granted, that was not sustainable for LeMahieu, as it was a 60-game season, and he never was a high-OPS guy, even in Colorado.

But that decline was still disappointing. He won the batting title last year, the second of his career. In 2019, he slashed .327/.375/.518.

Regression was expected, but he wasn’t even an offensive threat. And unfortunately, 2021 might have actually been a glimpse of what’s going to happen for the remaining five years of his six-year deal.

In 2021, Baseball Savant considered him “unlucky.” While he hit .268, his expected batting average (xBA, which takes into account, mostly, exit velocity and launch angle) was actually .279. That -0.011 difference made him be considered the 65th“unluckiest” player for batting average, out of 319 qualified players.

The same goes for his slugging percentage (.362) and his xSLG (.391). That was the 34th largest negative difference in MLB.

So, maybe it simply was just bad luck this season… until you look at his 2020 metrics.

In the pandemic-shortened season, he was actually, by far, one of the luckiest hitters in all of baseball.

As previously mentioned, his .364 batting average led the big leagues last year. But according to Baseball Savant, he was only "supposed" to hit .308. That made him the 13th luckiest player in baseball, out of 331 qualified players that year.

In terms of slugging, he was the fourth luckiest (.590 actual SLG vs. .453 xSLG).

So, what changed?

Honestly – almost nothing.

LeMahieu’s bat-to-ball metrics from 2020 to 2021 are hardly different – in fact, some of his analytical numbers actually were better this season than last.

His hard-hit percentage went down (45.7 percent to 43.3 percent), but his average launch angle increased from 2.3 percent to 5.0 percent. He actually had more barrels per “batted ball event” (contact in fair territory) this season than last. His sweet-spot percentage also went up. His average exit velo went down less than one mph, but that small of a number hardly makes a difference.

In 2019, luck was on his side, but barely – while considered “lucky” in our previous stats mentioned that season, it’s very marginal. We can say that in 2019, he was legitimately good.

That's not to say he wasn't in 2020 - the results were there. But they were certainly inflated based off expected results.

Disclaimer: these numbers aren’t a perfect science. These numbers don’t take in to account the holes that were found, and if LeMahieu’s bat is a tick earlier or later in dozens of swings here and there, these words may not even be written.

But they are certainly a good basis. These numbers are a major reason why the Yankees let Didi Gregorius go – and that was a move that, although hurtful for Yankee fans, seems to have worked out in favor of New York - Gregorius was one of the worst shortstops on both sides of the ball this season.

The bat-to-ball metrics have stayed practically the same for three seasons, now, so there’s no reason to believe they’ll improve dramatically.

The fact is, LeMahieu simply came back down to Earth this past season.

We all knew 2020 was a bit of an anomaly for LeMahieu – but after taking a deep dive, we can’t help but wonder if 2021 LeMahieu is what the Yankees will be stuck with

Last edited:
Here’s my thing, If Hal really thinks it’s the players and not Boone. Then there should be a change at almost every position sans Judge, Stanton. Who were the only 2 to really produce in the last month. Maybe Gio and Gleyber too.

And from the SP, it should be 4 new starters in the rotation.

If not, then Hal is full of ****.

Last edited:
honestly besides cole and montgomery we need a whole new SP staff

was annoyed we didnt take a shot at charlie morton or robby ray last season

^ that proves my point that phil was wrong for sending judge home in that wild card game... but its water under the bridge now...we have a lot of holes to fill... and as much as i wanted boone gone im starting to think it is the players...every year in the playoffs the guys just cant hit and always leave runners on base... stanton has been great the last 2 post seasons though...we already know the starting pitching is not all that and the closers are probably the only thing decent on this team...and can we finally let gardy walk geez... nevermind he got a player option smh

Thames, Pilittere and Nevin were let go.

They’re not going to let Boone go.

word was Cashman was the one to tell Nevin that he wasn’t going to have his contract renewed because that’s one of Boone’s best friends and thatthey considered him to be in Boone’s ear too much.

Supposedly leaked that those questionable calls that Boone made through the year were influenced by Nevin. If keepingBoone they’re going to force him to go with the staff of their choosing.

I’m okay with it, ONLY if they follow up with their word that they think it was players underperforming and wasn’t Boone.

Then make wholesale changes, across the board. If all they do is let Gary go and make 2-3 guys the scapegoat and largely stand pat (outside Judge/Stanton and the Pen) then it’s all bull**** and my opinion moves to this is awful.
Should be 4-5 new players in the lineup, 2-3 new SPs.

I’m okay with it, ONLY if they follow up with their word that they think it was players underperforming and wasn’t Boone.

Then make wholesale changes, across the board. If all they do is let Gary go and make 2-3 guys the scapegoat and largely stand pat (outside Judge/Stanton and the Pen) then it’s all bull**** and my opinion moves to this is awful.
Should be 4-5 new players in the lineup, 2-3 new SPs.
4-5 new position players is a little ambitious. I could see us with a new C, SS, and CF. Not sure I see a 4th. Agree on SP though. I'd be totally cool with Max on a huge AAV deal and Verlander on a gamble deal.

The Dodgers may look to deal Bellinger after an atrocious season. I'd like to buy low on him bc he can be elite.

It’s more so, making moves… Can’t say it’s the players fault as they did all year, and come back with 20+ of the same guys. Especially if the new crop of guys are just tinkering where you’re not expecting huge increase in production.

For example, if they scapegoat Gary, which I’m expecting, I better not see Higgashioka as the starter. That’s just not a serious move.

The problem with the season was consistent hitting and baserunning.

The pitching was actually very good, a different catcher isn’t going to make the pitching staff who hovered around top 5 all year much better. Only significant increases of pitching talent can. Tallion and Montgomery can’t be relied on as front end starter or even middle starters, too much inconsistency.
So if you scapegoat Gary it better be for a more consistent hitter whether that means Average/OBP and driving in runs.
Same thing for Gleyber, if you scapegoat him, it better be for someone who is producing at bat.
Scapegoating Voit for Rizzo isn’t serious because the production at bat isn’t there to show it.

At SS, it can’t be a stop gap, I’ve read Andrelton Simmons one time and that was one time too many, sign somebody and deal them in a few years if you feel Volpe or Oswaldo are ready.

It’s more so, making moves… Can’t say it’s the players fault as they did all year, and come back with 20+ of the same guys. Especially if the new crop of guys are just tinkering where you’re not expecting huge increase in production.

For example, if they scapegoat Gary, which I’m expecting, I better not see Higgashioka as the starter. That’s just not a serious move.

The problem with the season was consistent hitting and baserunning.

The pitching was actually very good, a different catcher isn’t going to make the pitching staff who hovered around top 5 all year much better. Only significant increases of pitching talent can.

So if you scapegoat Gary it better be for a more consistent hitter whether that means Average/OBP and driving in runs.

At SS, it can’t be a stop gap, I’ve read Andrelton Simmons one time and that was one time too many, sign somebody and deal them in a few years if you feel Volpe or Oswaldo are ready.
I'm just over Gary. If we're going to have a weak bat back there, give me some elite defense. Gary's body language has been awful the last few years and I'm just over him. He brings nothing to the table.

His pitch framing is awful. Does his pitchers no help there. Bellinger on a low cost deal I'd be all over. Still want Correa and think he's perfect for a shift to 3rd to prolong his career and when Vlope or one of the other shortstops are ready.

Back
Top Bottom