New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Stros, 23-13

Aaron Judge, captain of the Yankees: His teammates share tales of leadership​

Chris Kirschner
Mar 29, 2023
TAMPA, Fla. — Anthony Volpe’s first encounter with Aaron Judge came just days after he was chosen by the Yankees in the first round of the 2019 draft. Volpe was in Florida at the team’s player development complex meeting the minor-league staff when he crossed paths with Judge, who was there rehabbing from an oblique injury.
ADVERTISEMENT

Even then, Volpe remembers captain-like behavior from Judge. He catered lunch from Texas de Brazil, a popular Brazilian steakhouse, and rented an ice cream truck to come by the complex.
“He was an amazing player,” Volpe said. “But I don’t think he was getting paid like that yet.”
Volpe said Judge introduced himself and told the younger player that if he ever needed anything from him, he should not hesitate to reach out. He was there to help.
Four years later, a new era of Yankees baseball is here. Volpe will become the team’s youngest player to make his debut since Derek Jeter, while Judge becomes the Yankees’ first official captain since No. 2.
Before the Yankees officially named Volpe the team’s starting shortstop, he was in Tampa working out at the team’s facility in December. For the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, Volpe returned home to Watchung, N.J., though a couple of teammates he’d been staying with remained in Florida to continue training. When Volpe returned, he learned that Judge was around the facility and watched his teammates hit. Judge didn’t take cuts with them. Still, he helped pick up the balls afterward.
“It’s like the smallest tidbit but the fact that I asked them how training was going and pretty much the first story they told was that one? It went a long way,” Volpe said. “I wasn’t surprised but it just shows that he’s who everyone says he is. He’s someone who I have looked up to before but he is the perfect captain to have.”
When Volpe received news this weekend that he officially made the Yankees, one of the first people to call him was Judge. As soon as Volpe answered the phone, Judge ribbed his newest teammate: “Have you packed your bags for Scranton?’
Volpe won’t be heading to Triple A. Instead, he’ll continue his development in The Bronx and form what the Yankees hope is a long-term partnership with The Captain.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic surveyed the Yankees clubhouse for a personal story or moment that spoke to why MLB’s most storied franchise made Judge the team’s 16th captain in the organization’s history. We’ve listed their answers in order of who’s been with Judge the longest, starting with two teammates from his big-league debut in 2016.

Aaron Hicks

“I think I’ve been around for the longest — 100 percent, I’m the longest here with him. I think becoming a captain is something that happens over time. How much time you have with the organization, obviously coming up with all of the guys that are currently with the team now. I guess it’s establishing yourself first and then becoming a leader for a certain amount of time. I think everything he’s done is the correct way. There’s nothing you can really foresee in anyone’s career. He hit over 50 home runs in his first full year. He’s been consistent as a hitter. Doing all that stuff is how you get the respect you deserve in order to have a captain label. He’s definitely a guy who wants to maximize everyone’s potential and always wants to push you. Anybody that is willing to push someone else to do better is someone you want in your corner.”
yankees.jpg

Aaron Judge and Aaron Hicks (Elsa / Getty Images)

Luis Severino

“The thing is, this is the first year that Judge is the captain for our fans. For us, it’s been years before that. We’ve seen him as our captain years before this happened. The way he plays the game, it doesn’t matter if he’s 0-for-4 or 4-for-4, he’s the same guy when we win the game. He just cares about winning games, caring for people and all of his teammates. I’ve never seen somebody care for other people more than him. That’s why he is where he is now.”

Kyle Higashioka

“He always goes out of his way to go above and beyond to bring everyone together, even off the field. He’s the guy who initiates team meetings whenever we have to have a players meeting. Off the field, he’s always setting up dinners so we can all hang out so we can get closer as a team. To me, that’s what someone who embraces the role of leadership does. I think we all appreciate that and we all think he’s more than deserving of that title.”

Gleyber Torres

“My first year in the big leagues was in ’18. In spring training, I had a really good conversation with him and we had a really good relationship from then. After games, we would always go to dinner. He helped me as a younger guy in what is a big situation in New York. Just all of my talks with Judge, he helped me so quickly to understand how to mature in every situation. Right away, I felt like he was already the captain on the team in 2018. Every conversation he has with every player, I see the leadership. It’s no surprise to me when they announced he was going to be the captain because I feel and I know all of the boys already felt like he was our captain years ago.”

Giancarlo Stanton

“You realize from the moment you meet him that he’s different. The coolest thing is just you see him come on the scene in ’17 and you only have a TV and outside perspective of him. You get to be on the same team and understand the ins and outs about his personality and how he goes about his business. It’s cool to see someone who has the same attributes. For example, our swings, we have long arms, long limbs and big bodies. We have two different ways of attacking the ball and being successful. It’s cool to see a different approach with the same type of body. I didn’t know until not too long ago that I was one of his favorite players. It’s definitely cool. When I first came up, I had an open stance and very similar to his. He’s a little lower now. I’m sure we see a little bit of each other in one another. We both play right field. We both have home run pop. He’s a cool doppelgänger.”

Jonathan Loáisiga

“One of the things that I can pinpoint besides him being a great person, a great teammate and everything you could possibly want, one of the things he’s done over the years, especially with younger guys who come into the clubhouse for the first time, he’s there to greet them, prepared to chat and ask them how they feel. He makes it pleasurable. If they need anything or if they have questions, he makes himself available. I’ve seen it with all of us at some point. For me, especially last year during some rough times I had pitching, he was there for me. He told me I’m one of the better pitchers we have in the bullpen. I know you’re going to get out of it. Just keep fighting. I know you’ll be able to do it. He’s that kind of person.”

DJ LeMahieu

“I just think he’s not afraid to say what needs to be said. He’s got a pretty good pulse on the team and how everyone’s feeling. It takes a special person to confront those challenges and adversities and have someone speak on it to put everyone’s mind at ease. It’s a rare quality to have and he’s got it. Every team has got those moments where something needs to be said and he’s not afraid to step up to the challenge.”

Nestor Cortes

“I think his best quality is even though he probably knows he’s the leader and everyone follows him, what gives him that title is he doesn’t make decisions on who he is or what his name is. He likes to test the waters and see what people are feeling about certain things. He wants to know everyone’s opinion on important decisions we have to make. Even with small things like what music gets played. He asks us if we’re OK with the music being played. He’s not like, ‘I’m the leader. I’m the captain. F-you guys. I’m playing whatever I want.’ He helps diversify the music with the clubhouse we have. He plays Spanish music. He plays Bad Bunny. He plays rap, hip-hop, country. It’s a small thing but it’s those little things that show you who he is. Everyone knows what kind of baseball player he is, but the fact that he doesn’t want to step over anybody and make anyone feel like they’re less important than him is what makes him special.”

Gerrit Cole

“Sharing the 62 (homer) game, I got to share my history with him (Cole set the franchise’s strikeout record with 257 last season.) That’s my favorite moment. He just loves the Yankees. He loves the game. He genuinely loves being the captain in every aspect that comes with it. When he has those conversations with people, those teaching moments, those learning moments, introductory moments, people are probably just struck by the genuineness of him. I think it’s something unique to experience when you get close to him.”
USATSI_18599776-scaled.jpg

Aaron Judge with Gerrit Cole and Nestor Cortes. (Brad Penner / USA Today)

Michael King

“The first time I walked into Yankee Stadium, I barely knew anybody on the team because I got traded the year before and didn’t know anybody in the Triple A, big leagues level at the time. I didn’t have a big-league camp. I had no interaction with any of the big-league players. I walk into the clubhouse and the training room is right in front and he was on the table getting work done. As soon as he sees me, he gets off the table, runs up to me, daps me up and says, “It’s about damn time, Kinger!” He treated me like a superstar like he is. Having the superstar on the team treat me like that made me feel so much more comfortable. I’ve always thanked him for that. He treated me like his best friend and like I should be a part of this team. It made me feel like I fit in here.”

Clarke Schmidt

“Everyone sees the interviews and how engaging he is. People could easily look at it and be like there’s no way he’s like that every day and every time. When you meet him and are around him a lot, he’s genuinely putting a ton of effort into you. He pours into the conversation. He’s very active and engaging in everything he does. He’s uplifting. If I had a good outing last season, he’d be the first person to come up to me after the game, dap me up and tell me great job. If you had a bad one, he’s the first one to tap you on the leg and be like, ‘Bro, we got you. Keep your head up.’”

Anthony Rizzo

“He’s been the face of the franchise. What he does behind the scenes as far as preparation, coming in every day and being the same person whether he has a really good game, a good week or a bad week, you’d never know. He comes in with the same energy every day and it’s a huge quality to have in this game. There’s not like one moment though that sticks out. You meet a ton of people in baseball and there’s always going to be people you naturally talk with more and he’s one of them for me. It’s not like ‘Mean Girls’ like, ‘Ooh, this guy is going to be my friend!’ I don’t care what he looks like, at least for me it doesn’t matter. That’s my guy.”

Wandy Peralta

“When you’re a captain, there are so many qualities that you need to have. At the forefront, the level of respect with which he speaks to people. You can see how much he cares and you know it’s genuine. That’s how it’s always been with me and people around here in the clubhouse. When I came here to the Yankees, he greeted me and welcomed me into this clubhouse. That’s the kind of person he is. He cares about you. He cares about your family. He cares that you find yourself in a good spot, regardless of how his day is going. That’s something I admire. I’m very happy to have him as a captain here. He makes everything better.”

Clay Holmes

“One moment I remember in Milwaukee when he was in the high 50s (for home runs). It had become a real thing then. There was a lot more media around, especially national media filling the clubhouse. He was the story of baseball. I was in the locker next to him in Milwaukee and it seemed like he had 10 things to sign from the other team. I remember seeing that and with all of the media around he never changed. I made a joke to him about it. I asked, ‘Does it annoy you having to sign all of this stuff for other players?’ And he was like, ‘Nah. I love it.’ There was a license plate that was sitting on top of the baseballs and jerseys to cover it up. I was like, ‘Who is getting a license plate signed?’ He ended up signing the license plate for me as a joke and he put it in my locker. I still have it. He has all of this stuff going on and he’s still himself. The coolest thing is he never lost sight of his teammates. He was still the same leader in the clubhouse. It’s not easy to handle that stuff.”

Isiah Kiner-Falefa

“The biggest thing for me is he was always checking in with me. It’s nice to have someone of that caliber care about you. When someone cares about you and they ask how you’re doing, how’s your family and is genuinely interested in talking with you, it makes a big difference in how you feel. Last year in the beginning was tough because it’s a new place and you don’t know what’s going on. He made it really easy to fit in quickly. Another thing, he doesn’t care about his personal stats. He cares about winning. In August, he put the team on his back when we had a lot of injuries and were struggling. He wasn’t worried about the home run chase. He wanted to win games. In the clubhouse, he was uplifting guys even though we were terrible. That stretch was brutal. It’s not just one moment with Judge. He goes out of his way every day.”

Jose Trevino

“He wanted to get to know me as a person right away. I came over late in spring and he’s trying to get ready for the season. He didn’t have to take the time to ask about my family, where I’m from and what I like to do off the field, but he did it. And this wasn’t just a one-time conversation. He’s asking me these things throughout the season. He wasn’t captain yet but as a captain, you want to get to know the guys in the clubhouse more and I’m new but he took the time to get to know me. It’s important, especially if you want to contribute, because you don’t want to be here just taking up space around guys like him.”

Oswaldo Cabrera

“What I learned from Judge, it’s what LeBron (James) says, ‘Stay present.’ That guy won too many things last year and had an incredible year. When I came to Tampa (in January), that guy was already here working. So I said to myself, ‘If this guy is the MVP last season and he’s already here, I need to be here earlier than him.’ But he’s an amazing person. I was with my dad and brother at the complex catching fly balls with Judge. My dad and brother were outside of the fence and Judge was at home plate. He asked me if that was my brother and dad. He started running to go meet my dad and brother outside of the outfield fence. Nobody does that. That’s a leader. It’s those little things that he does that will stay with me for a long time.”

Ron Marinaccio

“One of the games, I was coming back through the clubhouse after I pitched. He might’ve been using the bathroom or something. It was a tied game at the end of the game. I said something like, ‘Let’s get this done.’ He was like, ‘I got you.’ Two minutes later, you see him hit a walk-off homer. It’s stuff like that where it’s almost like a fairy tale. He says it and goes and does it. But he always makes you feel comfortable. You don’t feel like you have to impress your teammates because you feel like everyone has your back when the main presence in the clubhouse is behind you.”

Harrison Bader

“The one thing that stands out to me is on the very first day I was here, he came over and sat down to grab lunch with me. He was just there and made me feel very welcome. It wasn’t over the top. He didn’t make me feel like a superstar. He just made me feel like a new teammate and welcomed me into the clubhouse. I just really appreciated that and respected him for it because it was nice of him to do it. When you have your teammates reinforce why you’re here and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, it makes you feel more confident that the new environment you’re in is one where you’re wanted and desired for your talent. It felt really good for him to do that.”

Greg Weissert

“I’m sure everyone remembers my debut (Weissert hit a batter on his first pitch in an August game in Oakland, then balked, then hit another batter on his second pitch. In all, Weissert threw 15 pitches, five of them for strikes.) Even since the first day I got up there, he’s been super easy to talk to. I had never been to a big-league camp. I had hardly met any of the guys before besides the guys I had played with in the minors. When I got up there, he treated me like I was part of the team right away. It made my assimilation into the big leagues so much easier because I felt a little more comfortable and not so on edge all of the time. During my debut, I was sitting on the bench and, obviously, it could not go any worse. He was sitting there trying to make me laugh it off and he was blocking the camera. Those little things go a long way.”
volpejudgestanton-scaled.jpg

Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and Anthony Volpe. (New York Yankees / Getty Images)

Anthony Volpe

“In my opinion, it has nothing to do with baseball. When I was a fan, it did. What goes a long way to us when we’re younger players in the minor leagues and we’re grinding through it all is when someone like him makes us feel welcome.”

just seen Bald Vinny ( bleacher creature ) post that he's losing a ton of money making a sh*tload of these shirts to sell before games

338448271_206964935273921_8958312520728051736_n.jpg

should've been

338182316_1937502999949818_6540383535717850404_n.jpg

now he's tryin to get people to help him recoup his losses. ready for tomorrow :nthat:

Will be weird seeing someone other than Gardner rock 11. He wasn't an elite player but damn 15 years in pinstripes is a lot.

The Athletic really has some of the best Yanks coverage

Yankees’ 10 burning questions for the 2023 season: Predictions? MVP? Rule change impact?​

TAMPA, FL - MARCH 16: New York Yankees Outfielder Aaron Judge (99) at bat during the spring training game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the New York Yankees on March 16, 2023 at George M. Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, FL. (Photo by Cliff Welch/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By Chris Kirschner and Brendan Kuty
Mar 29, 2023

As the 2023 MLB season kicks off, there are a lot of new things to learn. There are a number of major rule changes that were designed to speed up the game and increase offense. The new balanced schedule will result in all 30 teams playing every team. And an action-packed offseason saw free agents taking home major dollars with new teams.
ADVERTISEMENT

To get ready for the New York Yankees’ season, here is everything you need to know:
Scores & Schedule | Roster | Stats

What to expect from the Yankees this season?​

Keith Law’s season projection: 92-70​

The Athletic’s staff voting:

AL East
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TH]TEAM[/TH]
[TH]PERCENT OF VOTE[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Toronto Blue Jays[/TD]

[TD]45.2%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] New York Yankees[/TD]

[TD]32.3%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Tampa Bay Rays[/TD]

[TD]12.9%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Baltimore Orioles[/TD]

[TD]9.7%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Boston Red Sox[/TD]

[TD]0.0%[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The Yankees are the favorites to win the AL East and their acquisition of Rodón combined with the Astros’ loss of Justin Verlander gives New York a slightly better chance of beating Houston if they meet again in the ALCS. — Jim Bowden

Bold prediction:

Aaron Judge will threaten 70 homers. Too bold? Well, then call me Captain Kirk. Look, Judge is coming off a historic 63-homer season. All the talk has been about what he could do for an encore that would be good enough. Nobody expects him to do it again. Well, why not? Many thought he was nuts for turning down the Yankees’ $230.5-million offer last spring, and he turned it into $360 million. Many thought he was injury prone and he’s played 305 of a possible 324 games the last two years combined. Maybe stop betting against him? — Kuty

What moves did the Yankees make this offseason?​

Trades:

• PLHP Lucas Luetge to Braves for INF Caleb Durbin and RHP Indigo Diaz

Free-agent signings:

• OF Aaron Judge, 9 years/$360 million
• LHP Carlos Rodón, 6 years/$162 million
• 1B Anthony Rizzo, 2 years/$40 million
• RHP Tommy Kahnle, 2 years/$11.5 million

Chris Kirschner’s grade: B​

The Yankees took care of their biggest priority in re-signing Aaron Judge. They brought back his close friend in Anthony Rizzo. They added a left-handed ace in Carlos Rodón and a quality bullpen arm in Tommy Kahnle. Both players’ 2023 debuts are now delayed with injuries. Rodón is working his way back from a forearm strain while Kahnle has bicep tendinitis. The Yankees, on paper, are better from where they ended 2022, but it still feels like it’s not enough to get past the Astros just yet. They haven’t properly addressed left field, they’re still too right-hand dominant at the plate and they’re relying on pristine health for a few players who’ve struggled staying on the field consistently. They still need more upgrades before October.

Jim Bowden’s grade: A​

The Yankees absolutely had to re-sign Aaron Judge, and they did it with a record deal to accomplish their top offseason priority. Their second priority was to add another top-of-the-rotation starter, and they checked that box with Rodón, a move that gives the Yankees their best rotation on paper since they hired manager Aaron Boone. They re-signed Anthony Rizzo early in the offseason, and it will be interesting to see how much he benefits at the plate with the new shift restrictions in place. They were hoping to upgrade left field with an addition from outside the organization, but haven’t done so, at least not yet.

Players to watch​

Team MVP?​

Aaron Judge, RF: It’s a safe prediction to think the player who hit 62 home runs last season and signed a $360 million contract in the offseason will be the Yankees’ MVP. Judge remains one of the best overall players in baseball. If he’s healthy, it’s hard imagining any of his teammates coming close to his level of production for this pick to be anyone else. — Kirschner

Who impressed the most in spring training?​

Anthony Volpe, SS: Before spring began, it seemed like the biggest of long shots for Volpe to break camp on the Opening Day roster. After all, the Yankees’ No. 1 prospect only had 99 plate appearances in Triple A this past season after spending most of the year in Double A. The Yankees are notoriously cautious when it comes to calling up their prospects but Volpe made a strong case to break the organization’s historical pattern. All spring, the Yankees stressed their shortstop competition was open and Volpe would be given a fair shot. He’s done nothing but emerge as the clear best option in March. He’s hit well. He’s fielded well. He’s run the bases well. Everything points to him being ready. — Kirschner

Most impacted by the new rules?​

Anthony Rizzo, 1B: Rizzo faced the shift in 82.6 percent of his plate appearances last year, according to Baseball Savant. With infielders restricted to keeping their spikes on the dirt, Rizzo should have a greater chance at pummeling pitches into shallow right field for hits and improving the .224 batting average he posted in 2022. He also has a propensity for hitting the ball hard to left field, and the banning of four-man outfields could help hits land for him there, too. — Kuty

Who has the most to lose (or gain)?​

Luis Severino, SP: Severino is a free agent at the end of the season. When healthy, Severino has some of the most electric stuff in all of baseball. The only question that’s lingered has been his health. He hasn’t posted 20 starts in a season since 2018 and he’s had myriad injuries ever since. That’s already in jeopardy. Manager Aaron Boone announced on March 25 that Severino is expected to begin the season on the injured list with a low grade lat strain. Severino missed two months of the 2022 season with a lat strain. It’s the fifth straight season of Severino dealing with some sort of injury that will keep him down for some time. — Kirschner

Most likely to have a bounceback season?​

Josh Donaldson, 3B: Donaldson returns as the Yankees’ starting third baseman despite a terrible offensive 2022, in which he hit posted a paltry .682 OPS. He’s a former American League MVP and he’s got a career OPS of .852. A rebound isn’t a crazy proposition. The Yankees will be thrilled if the former American League MVP can provide slightly above-average production at the plate. His glove was stellar last season. He deserved, at the very least, a Gold Glove nomination. At age 37, Donaldson swears he’d retire if he thought he was washed up. But he’s also still owed $27 million. — Kuty

Likeliest to outperform their fantasy draft ranking?​

Anthony Rizzo (Ranking: 1B 13): Rizzo, a lefty slugger, stared down pull-side shifts in 82.6 percent of at-bats last year — the second most among current Yankees players. Yes, he’ll still blast a bunch of baseballs into the seats in Yankee Stadium’s short porch, but this season’s shift restrictions should allow him to rip liners for hits into shallow right field and turn him into a more dangerous hitter than he has been in years. — Kuty

Rookie most likely to make an impact?​

Anthony Volpe, SS: Initially, it looked like Oswald Peraza would have been the choice here because it appeared at the start of camp he would be the starting shortstop. But Volpe continued stringing together good at-bats in spring and showed an impressive combination of speed and power. He won the team’s shortstop competition by a landslide. — Kirschner

How good is the Yankees’ farm system?​

No. 1 prospect: Anthony Volpe, SS

Volpe got off to a terrible start in 2022, hitting .203/.312/.373 through the end of May — and that’s with a four-hit game on May 28. He’d been working through some swing changes in those two months, but in late May/early June he decided to go back to his old swing, and it showed, as the 2019 first-rounder hit .279/.369/.528 the rest of the way for Double-A Somerset, earning a September promotion to Triple A to finish the year. Volpe has a beautiful right-handed swing — I don’t know why anyone would try to mess with it — that produces a lot of quality contact and keeps the ball in the air for extra-base power, although I think he’ll settle in as more of a high-doubles guy who might hit 20 homers than a 30-homer guy. He’s a 55-60 runner but it plays up on the bases because he has great instincts both for reading pitchers and reading situations. While at shortstop, he’s got great hands and gets himself into the right position to make plays more than most shortstops I see. I caught a lot of Volpe last year, and he was playing a different game than his teammates. We talk about how the game speeds up for some players as they move up the ladder; Volpe plays like the game is too slow and he’s waiting for it to catch up. I don’t know for a fact that the Yankees have sat out the free-agent shortstop market because they think Volpe’s a star, but I think Volpe’s a star, so I can hardly blame them. . — Law

Organization’s ranking: No. 14

Despite some significant trades and some high picks not panning out so far (since 2019’s Anthony Volpe, who is a top 10 overall prospect, so I’d say that one is panning out), this system is still reasonably strong, with some high-upside guys up top and down in the complex league. They do have a lot of hard throwers in the system and should be able to continue to use those guys for trades going forward. — Law

Required reading​

The most exclusive club in baseball: Aaron Judge, Paul Goldschmidt and the day baseball’s reigning MVPs spent together.
ADVERTISEMENT

‘Welcome to The Dark Side’: Current Yankees recall their first days in iconic pinstripes.
Ranking Yankee Stadium’s new concessions: Chris Kirschner gets you ready with his reviews of chicken tenders, burgers, burritos and more.
Lessons from a Yankees captain: No. 1 prospect Anthony Volpe learning from Willie Randolph.
From trepidation to total trust: How the Yankees’ Matt Blake went from outsider to vital member of the coaching staff.

(Top photo of Aaron Judge: Cliff Welch/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Getting Michael King back, if he's close to what he was last year, really can't be overstated. He was ELITE and could itch multiple innings. A guy like that can cover up a lot of warts early in the season with SP's out. Hard to tell muhc in SP for RP but hope he's back to what he was last year.

Side note: my son is 6 and this is his 2nd gear playing T-ball/coach pitch...last year he picked 29 (bday) but this year he wanted to be 99 :lol:. I was working for his practice when they let coach know size/#...my wife said coach said "we either have a Yankee fan here, or Rick Vaughn on the team" :lol:

Always think about this :lol: some high #s are cool, but they just don't seem right for baseball
He's not wrong though. We have a lot of retired numbers that shouldn't be retired. You can argue that all of the below shouldn't be retired:

• No. 1: Billy Martin
  • No. 6: Joe Torre
  • No. 8: Bill Dickey
  • No. 9: Roger Maris
  • No. 10: Phil Rizzuto
  • No. 16: Whitey Ford
  • No. 20: Jorge Posada
  • No. 21: Paul O'Neill
  • No. 32: Elston Howard
  • No. 37: Casey Stengel
  • No. 46: Andy Pettitte
  • No. 49: Ron Guidry