New York Yankees Official Thread - at Angels; 37-18

Not talking WAR. I’m just talking about the ability to be in games, and that likely leads to more outcomes that tip in our favor.
Yea, I knew what you meant, still don't think a #3 starter and a middle relief guy adds 8 wins. We'd be better, so we agree there.

Cole is definitely a number 1 starter but definitely not an ACE by any means since they took away the sticky ****.

Cole is definitely a number 1 starter but definitely not an ACE by any means since they took away the sticky ****.
I mean he's the favorite to won AL CY. How is that not an Ace?

Screenshot_20210919-161957_Chrome.jpg

This team loves to lose to bad teams. I don’t know how they make the playoffs. This offense is worthless. Wish you could bench the whole ****in team for a game.

dam, i'm reading that the yanks are ready to let Gary walk next year/ not resign him him. i'm really 50/50 on this. he can be a monster at the plate but his confidence may be done here and theres nowhere else to play him. i thought when he came up he was a solid future piece but he makes way too many mistakes. his bat can be solid but he looks like he's stuck swingin for the fences every ab. sucks cause i really like Gary, even have a t shirt jersey. if we did resign him, i wouldn't be mad but he's defintely gotta work on his defense. i would be mad seeing him go light it up for another team, killing us a couple times a year. wish things were better for him, dude had so much potential ....

It’s gonna be like every other guy they let walk….. Have no plan otherwise, and then throughout the season possibly 2-3 seasons start asking “What are we going to do about x”

Handful of examples of this the last few years.

Big reason why they had a young team in the ALCS in 2017. And now it looks like they may need to tear a decent portion of it down.

If the response is let Higgy be the catcher for a few years until some other guy is ready, that’s a horrible plan.

I spent a little bit of the morning looking at everything Gary, comparing to the team and the rest of catchers, Offensively.

The biggest thing I see is Launch Angle. It’s like 7-8 degrees too high. When you look at 2016-17, Launch angle was 7&13 degrees. The last 3 years have been 19, 19 & 21.
Judge and Stanton are at 11 & 10 degrees.

Everything else is either improved or consistent from those first two monster years. He actually has a better eye, and one of the better ones in the league at catcher. More selective on pitches in the zone. Similar power.

But that launch angle has turned hard hits in to decent fly balls. If you want better consistency offensively, that’s where to focus.

Again, I view the entire catcher position differently than the other 8 spots that hit.

like i said, i wouldn't be mad if they resigned him but he really needs to work on his defense. he's making little league mistakes, dropping fly balls, looks scared to cover the plate in a collision situation and has wayyyy too many balls in the zone just go by him. still has a cannon, but that ain't enough. look at how our ace don't even want him back there when he's pitching.

i'm too old school for the new stats, launch angle etc, and most Yankee fans nowadays are too inpatient for the mistakes and quick to boo. that looks like it bothers him and his play, same with Gleyber. looks like they try too hard to make up for their mistakes at the plate. at the catching position being a smart defensive guy back there outweighs being a beast at the plate, thats just a super bonus if u got it.

Depends on the money with Gary. I think we're all biased bc of what we thought he'd be. He's not that guy. He's just a guy. He's improved defensively but he's not Prime Molina back there. His bat is HR or nothing now. He's better than the alternatives we currently have on the roster but we could find a replacement pretty easily. I'm cool with keeping him but not for big money or long years. I'd do 3 years for $35m or something like that.

Ace’s are fickle. There have been aces in the past who have personal catchers. It doesn’t matter because even if we say well Cole doesn’t want him. The pitching staff with a bunch of Press Button in case of emergency type of guys is toward the top of the league and he’ll have caught 65-70% of the games this year. Missed 10% due to injury.

Has a good arm. Calls a good game. Is a bat you can’t get careless with if you’re on the mound. The things we’re discussing and the average Yankee fan complains about is tantamount to almost nothing.

avg Yankee fan ain't looking at stats and numbers like u do. avg fan is seeing the mistakes that costs us games down the stretch against teams that we should be beating. that game ainst the O's was over and his defense cost us that. dont gimme it was raining, a good defensive catcher doesn't make those mistakes. and lets be real here, not something thats been recent either, he's been having balls go by him all year. he's had moments where u literally baffled at how bad he is. and if our ace don't want him back there, u think another guy feels comfortable throwing their best moving stuff at him, ie Kluber even Chapman ?

Ace’s are fickle. There have been aces in the past who have personal catchers. It doesn’t matter because even if we say well Cole doesn’t want him. The pitching staff with a bunch of Press Button in case of emergency type of guys is toward the top of the league and he’ll have caught 65-70% of the games this year. Missed 10% due to injury.

Has a good arm. Calls a good game. Is a bat you can’t get careless with if you’re on the mound. The things we’re discussing and the average Yankee fan complains about is tantamount to almost nothing.
He's a guy. If he hadn't come up as a hyped Yankee, none of us would care. He's easily replaceable. I get that you're a fan and want to keep him but he's just not worth committing a lot of money or years to him. Solid, not great, player.

He's a guy. If he hadn't come up as a hyped Yankee, none of us would care. He's easily replaceable. I get that you're a fan and want to keep him but he's just not worth committing a lot of money or years to him. Solid, not great, player.

I think everything is up to debate. He won’t get Realmuto money.

It’s probably somewhere between James McCann 4/$40mil and Grandal 4/$73mil.

What do you see us doing with Gio,Voit, Rizzo and Gallo? Gleyber is Def safe for another year. I can see us Keeping Voit and trying to resign Rizzo cheap but I don’t think Gallo or Gio will be with us next year.

I think everything is up to debate. He won’t get Realmuto money.

It’s probably somewhere between James McCann 4/$40mil and Grandal 4/$73mil.
McCann was coming off 2 years that were significantly better than Gary's last 2 years. I don't think you grasp just how average to bad he's been.

What do you see us doing with Gio,Voit, Rizzo and Gallo? Gleyber is Def safe for another year. I can see us Keeping Voit and trying to resign Rizzo cheap but I don’t think Gallo or Gio will be with us next year.
Gallo is signed and I don't see them trading him.

I honestly don't think the Yanks or Boone think much of Gleyber anymore. Just a feeling i get. Of course i could be wrong and they give him another year at his regular position (2b) or they try and package him in a deal for some pitching and sign a guy like Baez and stick everyone back at their regular positions. I think Voit is gone too, especially if the Yanks resign Rizzo. He aint gonna want to play this DH/backup role next yr. Gallo ain't going either, think the Yanks wanna see what he does in a full year here. Don't forget Hicks comes back next year so unless we trade him which i don't think will happen, that sticks Stanton back at DH where he obviously wasn't happy. Cash gonna have to show some skills this offseason and not just open his Yankee wallet...

Moving Gleyber off SS signals to me that they'll at least be in on Seager or Story in free agency.

Other than that, I can't see Cashman being too reactionary with sweeping changes.

Back
Top Bottom