New York Yankees Official Thread - at Angels; 37-18

Idk if Cashman or Hal is to blame, but they can both go at this point. I get not wanting to do 10 years for $350m on Correa but a 3 year deal that's realistically a 1 year deal bc he'll opt out? Absolute joke we didn't sign him. The Twins dumped IKF in us and then went and upgraded. That's the **** we're supposed to do.

Yankees are in on Story. At this point, they have no choice but to sign him at whatever the terms because not getting Correa for that deal, or even saying hell we’ll give you the same length but an extra $10mil a year is embarrassing.

Also long term on Story could make sense, move him to 3B in 2 years. But alas Correa was right there.

Last edited:
that Correa deal was perfect.... can't believe we couldn't make a similar offer but instead content on picking up Donaldson and his contract smh

this whole offseason has me :smh:

from trading Gary and Gio to gettin back Donaldson ( this douchebag is gonna have to really win me over ), not signing Correa, this offseason been a real letdown.

i'm just salty. Gary was my guy, i thought he could get it together. if he does with Minny it'll make it feel that much sh*tt*er

from trading Gary and Gio to gettin back Donaldson ( this douchebag is gonna have to really win me over ), not signing Correa, this offseason been a real letdown.

i'm just salty. Gary was my guy, i thought he could get it together. if he does with Minny it'll make it feel that much sh*tt*er

i thought the same thing about Gary... he was wild inconsistent but always felt he would get it together.... but nevermind now since hes traded

If Gary gets it together in Minny, doesn't mean he would have here. He was broken here. Hope he does well in Minny.

Should change the name of the team from the Yankees to the 3 Putzes

Hopefully someone gets the reference.

So they didn’t go after any free agent because of Giancarlo and Cole’s contract. And have to do an extension with Judge.

I absolutely 100% hate it here.

Nobody asked them to increase the salary at 3B by $16.5 mil over Gio with Donaldson to get 10% better, maybe, best case scenario.
Nobody asked them to re-sign Rizzo and increase the payroll $10.75mil over Voit when we could have lived with Voit getting injured and plugging DJ there again if need be.
You spend Gary’s contract on IKF and Rotrverdt. When Rotrverdt is not even as good as Higgy. I get wanting to move on from Gary, but have a damn plan.

Not only that Yankees could have had a clean break from Gary, Voit, and Gio after this upcoming season if they wanted anyway.

They basically fielded the Wild Card team from last year when the Red Sox and Blue Jays got better and the Rays always pull through.

There were 4 game changing Short Stops on the market, two of which signed well below what we expected, and they were in on none of them. Instead they place all their eggs in the basket of a kid who is 20 years old, and hasn’t played above A ball. He’s good, but if he reaches Correa’s peak or current production, we would be surprised as hell. Could have signed the SS and pivoted.

Not only that, Yankees don’t have a great track record either
Since 2008 we’ve seen them screw up all these guys or not be able to develop them to varying degrees; Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Manny Banuelos, Ian Kennedy, Jesus Montero, Andrew Brackman, Austin Romine, Phil Coke, Slade Heathcott, JR Murphy, Gary Sanchez, Eduardo Nunez, Mason Williams, Dante Bichette Jr., David Phelps, Tyler Austin, Greg Bird, Eric Jagielo, Ian Clarkin, Luis Torrens, Miguel Andujar, Rob Refsnyder, Jacob Lindgren, Jorge Mateo, Jake Cave, James Kaprielian, Domingo Acevado, Dustin Fowler, Gleyber Torres, Blake Rutherford, Clint Fraizer, Luke Voit, Justus Sheffield, Chance Adams, Albert Abreu, Dillon Tate, Estevan Florial, Billy McKinney, Dermis Garcia, and on the road for Deivi Garcia

It’s a miracle Aaron Judge become great. And the others on the list are Brett Gardner, Dellin Betances (not here), Luis Severino (has barely pitched in over 2 years but has been a top tier), German (who is an inconsistent but at least has reached his potential), Loaisiga who they bungled as a starter and luckily they stumbled by accident on him being a monster in the bullpen and Montgomery who I have no complaints about.

Front office isn’t even remotely trying. And as much as I’m on the Fire Cashman train because this is embarrassing. Hal is the real problem here. He’s cutting corners and thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, but in actuality is the dumbest.

if they were truly cheap then and not want to sign any free agents then why couldnt they just run in back with the same team...i feel like the trades made us worse imo and then to add insult to injury you dont sign anyone.... they better resign judge though at the end of the day...i think the bad contracts they gave hicks and dj really limited the flexibility here... not even talking about how much both is getting paid but the years they got...it kinda reminds me of ellsbury who got a long deal for no reason

I feel like Hal's mentality is to be good enough to make the playoffs every year while making as much money as possible. Be good enough to make playoffs and hope you get hot. He has no desire to have a stacked team like the Dodgers. On one hand i get it, best team rarely wins and it's all just a crapshoot in the playoffs, but it's frustrating as **** as a fan.

The worst part is they are banking on defense to “win a title” and I mean it has so place. But it really equates a distant 3rd behind hitting and pitching to win.

It’s probably going to be a long season from the SS and Catcher position.

Not to mention they need a bounce back year from like 4 of the 9 guys coming back too :lol:

So I did a little dive numbers wise on salaries.

The current 27 man roster including Britton is $238 million
A week ago (with a blank at SS) is $212 million

So we spent 26 million to run back a similar team from the wild card team (essentially).
-IKF while a skillful fielder had worse production of what Gleyber did from the offensive side, and Gleyber had a miserable year. IKF would have led the team in hits last year, while also being 10th in OPS+ compared to the 9 guys who had the most starts at each position. He's an improvement over Gleyber at SS defensively, yes , and slightly better on the bases, but it's a move that doesn't matter in the scheme of things, and looks worse when there were better options, overall cheaper for the overall payroll, and we created most of the room for a team to sign the better option.
-Donaldson a great hitter. But he's 36. If we're lucky, offensive production wise, he'd rank 4th out of Donaldson, Correa, Story, Seager, Semien. On a worst case, he misses 50 games. Hits low 20s HRs, and we wonder what the hell are we supposed to do next year paying him $21mil. Also Cashman talked about getting younger and more athletic. Donaldson was the second slowest 3rd baseman.
-Then you move to Catcher. We've argued it a million times, and even if I concede the move on from Gary. Higgy and Rortvedt may be the worst catcher depth chart in the entire league. That is saying a lot because catcher is a wasteland. I'm not even arguing for Gary. Who cares, he's gone. But this can't be who they play a full season with a catcher. As bad as Higgy was after April from the plate, Ben's track record in the minors would be lucky to reach Higgy.
-Also if we just said screw it and went Voit & DJ platoon at 1B. Would we be worse than what Rizzo is? My guess is no, for $11mil less. And if Voit gets injured. Shrugs. It isn't far off production wise from the penciled in Rizzo all year versus DJ.

The next part is where it is frustrating. The Yankees leaked that they were not in on Free Agents because they are paying Cole and Stanton and have to pay Judge, and worried about the payroll. Well they needlessly spent an extra $26 mil for no reason that won't be on the team within 2 years. Also I'm sick of hearing about Cole and Stanton. They balked on Harper, who proved to be a value deal so far, to sign Cole. And nobody told them to trade for Stanton, I'm tired of hearing about his contract. You made the trade, live with it. Not only that has been the best hitter in the playoffs the last 2 years.
Let's stay they traded Voit and signed Freeman. Or traded Gary and signed Correa:
Gary, Gallo, Judge, Tallion, Chapman and Britton were all free agents after this year that is $53million that would have come off the books.

If we signed Correa or Freeman $30mil a year deal instead of paying Rizzo, Donaldson & IKF, the total salary going into 2023 offseason would be $189million carries over (estimated arbitrations) to $186million (estimated arbitrations)

They are somehow penny pinching, and also are not good at penny pinching at the same time. It's fascinating

Back
Top Bottom