New York Yankees Official Thread - at Angels; 37-18

Give him whatever he wants, then name the Grand Concourse after him and then leave Cashman on a deserted island with a volleyball ....

Give him whatever he wants, then name the Grand Concourse after him and then leave Cashman on a deserted island with a volleyball ....
Haha I was all for moving on from Cashman prior to the season but he seems to have put together a good club.

Wow Gallo couldn't give that a dive ? :smh:
It's a tie game if he dives and doesn't get it. The run thar scored meant nothing, the one left at 3b would have tied it. And hell it could have been a game winning inside the park HR.

Chap hitting that season slump that he usually gets. Gotta weather the month or so it lasts, and then he’ll go back to being all star level.

First 12 games. 0 runs
Last 4 games, 4 runs.
Literally the same **** as last year :lol:

Literally the same **** as last year :lol:

Pretty much.

The give and take. Just gotta weather it and not give a damn about it for a few weeks, then he’ll go back to elite most nights with the occasional doesn’t have it.

Haha I was all for moving on from Cashman prior to the season but he seems to have put together a good club.

Some luck there. I’ll take the luck happily.

Still some holes in there that won’t get better, that were clear as day were going to happen. The other part is praying for health, and no regression from the non-Judge/Stanton guys.

Some luck there. I’ll take the luck happily.

Still some holes in there that won’t get better, that were clear as day were going to happen. The other part is praying for health, and no regression from the non-Judge/Stanton guys.
Can't really blame him when we get unlucky and then say he just got lucky now though. The rotation and bullpen are arguably the best in baseball and that's all him. Guys like King, Holmes, and Nestor have been huge hits so far. Rizzo has been great. We aren't getting much production at the plate from the catchers but we can't overlook what they've done with the staff. Would the staff be as good with Sanchez? Idk, but I doubt it. We needed some roster and personality changes and we seem to have hit the right buttons. But yea, injuries have been our downfall the last few years. We're going to call off, not going to win 120 games, but we'll win 100+ and I think we'd have signed up for that 3 months ago.

Can't really blame him when we get unlucky and then say he just got lucky now though. The rotation and bullpen are arguably the best in baseball and that's all him. Guys like King, Holmes, and Nestor have been huge hits so far. Rizzo has been great. We aren't getting much production at the plate from the catchers but we can't overlook what they've done with the staff. Would the staff be as good with Sanchez? Idk, but I doubt it. We needed some roster and personality changes and we seem to have hit the right buttons. But yea, injuries have been our downfall the last few years. We're going to call off, not going to win 120 games, but we'll win 100+ and I think we'd have signed up for that 3 months ago.

Bullpen was going to be elite. That he gets all credit for. And will always get my nod. He can find arms in the pen like nobody’s business.

I didn’t even bring up Sanchez on this. But the answer is they’d be nearly as good. They were 6th in ERA with him catching 2/3 of the innings last year. Rotation slightly better, maybe. But if Trevino is the backup to Sanchez and not Higgy probably ends up the same. I don’t care, they were going to move him regardless, it’s over. But it’s not some huge change if he was catching. If your pitchers can’t toss it, doesn’t matter if Ivan Rodriguez was back there, they’d still get smoked.

Nestor being this good though is hard to explain because 12 months ago, he was a fringe MLB player, and just put it together brick by brick. Somehow an Ace. If he regresses too far it will legit break my heart.

I’d say where I have a ton of worry is the problems will pop up and the ship can sink quick is if/when Hicks gets injured. Then you have 3 huge holes in the lineup. Whoever plays CF because they won’t have Judge do it every day. IKF and the catcher. And that is where if any of the other guys in the lineup slump is where they will drop a ton of games quick.

Bullpen was going to be elite. That he gets all credit for. And will always get my nod. He can find arms in the pen like nobody’s business.

I didn’t even bring up Sanchez on this. But the answer is they’d be nearly as good. They were 6th in ERA with him catching 2/3 of the innings last year. Rotation slightly better, maybe. But if Trevino is the backup to Sanchez and not Higgy probably ends up the same. I don’t care, they were going to move him regardless, it’s over. But it’s not some huge change if he was catching. If your pitchers can’t toss it, doesn’t matter if Ivan Rodriguez was back there, they’d still get smoked.

Nestor being this good though is hard to explain because 12 months ago, he was a fringe MLB player, and just put it together brick by brick. Somehow an Ace. If he regresses too far it will legit break my heart.

I’d say where I have a ton of worry is the problems will pop up and the ship can sink quick is if/when Hicks gets injured. Then you have 3 huge holes in the lineup. Whoever plays CF because they won’t have Judge do it every day. IKF and the catcher. And that is where if any of the other guys in the lineup slump is where they will drop a ton of games quick.
I think you're severely underrating the affect of a catcher on a pitcher. Some pitchers have personal catchers for a reason. This is season 3 of Matt Blake as pitching coach, too. I think he gets a lot of credit. He was very highly thought of in Cleveland and they've obviously pumped out SP more than anyone.

If Hicks gets hurt, we roll with Gallo, Judge, Stanton in LF to RF. I'd prefer that honestly. That's what we did tonight. We still have a full lineup with Donaldson at 3b, IKF at SS, Gleyber at 2b, Rizzo at 1b, and Donaldson at DH. Or Donaldson at 3b and DJ somewhere else with that person at DH. When Hicks plays right now, Stanton is DH and one of infielders sits instead of playing DH. I'm cool with playing Hicks to give guys day off to keep them fresh, but our optimal postseason lineup has Hicks on the bench.

I think you overrate the effect a catcher has on a pitching staff.
They were a top 5 staff last year with Gary as the catcher. And if Gary is as bad a catcher as some people paint him to be, and if the catcher makes a huge difference, they wouldn’t sniff top 10, hell even top 15. Or Gary is much better than people wanted to give him credit for. Can’t be they were a top 5 staff in spite of Gary, then say they are better because of Trevino and Higgy. Either catcher has an impact or he doesn’t.

So since we have that it is inconsequential who the catcher is, then it’s Matt Blake. And I’m fine giving him all the credit. Rather than rating catchers as anything more than can sometimes be helpful, but just generally exist because someone has to catch the ball.

As for IKF, it hasn’t been much different than what Gleyber was last year. Only difference is Gleyber has much higher expectations. Not good, not terrible. On the defensive side though, there’s been nothing that says oh man this guy is a gold glover, in reality has made a handful of bonehead plays that Gleyber was getting killed for. Again, higher expectations for Gleyber.

I think you overrate the effect a catcher has on a pitching staff.
They were a top 5 staff last year with Gary as the catcher. And if Gary is as bad a catcher as some people paint him to be, and if the catcher makes a huge difference, they wouldn’t sniff top 10, hell even top 15. Or Gary is much better than people wanted to give him credit for. Can’t be they were a top 5 staff in spite of Gary, then say they are better because of Trevino and Higgy. Either catcher has an impact or he doesn’t.

So since we have that it is inconsequential who the catcher is, then it’s Matt Blake. And I’m fine giving him all the credit. Rather than rating catchers as anything more than can sometimes be helpful, but just generally exist because someone has to catch the ball.

As for IKF, it hasn’t been much different than what Gleyber was last year. Only difference is Gleyber has much higher expectations. Not good, not terrible. On the defensive side though, there’s been nothing that says oh man this guy is a gold glover, in reality has made a handful of bonehead plays that Gleyber was getting killed for. Again, higher expectations for Gleyber.
Top 5 and #1 are different. They've been much better this year. Hard stop. I know you're a Gary stan but him leaving was addition by subtraction. He was always in a slump and always pouting and that carried over to the club. It was time for him to go. I hope he does great in Minny but we needed the change.

But overall you're vastly underrating catchers. Not just ability behind the plate but just general rapport with the pitchers. Gary never seemed to have that. Cole flat out asking for a different catcher was a sign of that. Pitchers need to know they can bury a slider on 0-2 with a man on 3b and not worry about it going to the backstop. That stuff matters. It's not just a net back there catching a machine. It's called a battery for a reason and the catcher can help the pitcher a lot. A young pitcher being able to just get on the mound, get a signal, and throw is huge for that pitcher. But he has to trust the catcher. If he doesn't, he's trying to call his own game and shaking off pitchers and worrying about that side of it rather than just pitching. So yea, and I don't mean this is a dickish way, but if you played ball, especially as a pitcher or a catcher, you'd know how important that relationship is.

Agree on IKF. He's just a guy filling a spot until Volpe is ready and I'm ok with that.

Top 5 and #1 are different. They've been much better this year. Hard stop. I know you're a Gary stan but him leaving was addition by subtraction. He was always in a slump and always pouting and that carried over to the club. It was time for him to go. I hope he does great in Minny but we needed the change.

But overall you're vastly underrating catchers. Not just ability behind the plate but just general rapport with the pitchers. Gary never seemed to have that. Cole flat out asking for a different catcher was a sign of that. Pitchers need to know they can bury a slider on 0-2 with a man on 3b and not worry about it going to the backstop. That stuff matters. It's not just a net back there catching a machine. It's called a battery for a reason and the catcher can help the pitcher a lot. A young pitcher being able to just get on the mound, get a signal, and throw is huge for that pitcher. But he has to trust the catcher. If he doesn't, he's trying to call his own game and shaking off pitchers and worrying about that side of it rather than just pitching. So yea, and I don't mean this is a dickish way, but if you played ball, especially as a pitcher or a catcher, you'd know how important that relationship is.

Agree on IKF. He's just a guy filling a spot until Volpe is ready and I'm ok with that.
As a former catcherr - this. All of this.

I know this is like a day or 2 old but cancel culture is the dumbest **** man :smh:

The fact that someone went digging 10 yrs into this dude's Twitter to find some dirt just to get him in trouble is pathetic. Nobody should have to pay later in life because u repeated something stupid as a teenager . People act like they never said something stupid when they were young ...

I know this is like a day or 2 old but cancel culture is the dumbest **** man :smh:

The fact that someone went digging 10 yrs into this dude's Twitter to find some dirt just to get him in trouble is pathetic. Nobody should have to pay later in life because u repeated something stupid as a teenager . People act like they never said something stupid when they were young ...
"Cancel culture" isn't a thing. That was just someone being a ****. Probably a Sox or Mets fan. Agree its dumb to bring up something someone said at 17 that had no hate attached to it at all.

Back
Top Bottom