New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Stros, 23-13

Ehhhh I mean he's rocking a .422 OPS. I like his spunk and he's played good defense but I think you're going overboard on how successful he's been so far.

Since they were all in on defense.

He already has 6 DRS. The leader for the year has 20 in 930 more innings.
Fielding Bible has him at 6. Fangraphs has him at 5, with Trevino leading at 17.

Also has only played a handful of games and just missed a homerun in 1 at bat and had a huge walk and doesn’t look inept at the plate.
Also would more trust him than anyone in the bottom half of the lineup other than Trevino

Last edited:
Since they were all in on defense.

He already has 6 DRS. The leader for the year has 20 in 930 more innings.
Fielding Bible has him at 6. Fangraphs has him at 5, with Trevino leading at 17.

Also has only played a handful of games and just missed a homerun in 1 at bat and had a huge walk and doesn’t look inept at the plate.
Also would more trust him than anyone in the bottom half of the lineup other than Trevino
I think you're misunderstanding DRS. 5 DRS doesn't mean he saved 5 runs. It's not a counting stat. And in small sample sizes, all defensive numbers are terrible.

There are some reasons for caution, however. First, DRS is relative to positional average so you want to factor in the fact hat some positions are harder to play than others. For that reason we have the positional adjustment, which we add to UZR to get DEF. If you prefer DRS, you could add DRS to the adjustment and get a DRS-based DEF.

The other thing to remember is that DRS isn’t going to work well in small sample sizes, especially a couple of months or less. Once you get to one and three-year samples, it’s a relatively solid metric but defensive itself is quite variable so you need a good amount of data for the metrics to become particularly useful. There’s plenty more to say about this issue, but that’s for another entry. In general, DRS isn’t perfect because it doesn’t factor in shifts, positioning, and can’t perfectly measure everything it needs to, but it’s still among the best options out there.

And I'm not saying he's bad. I like the kid. Just saying he's been so successful that all the others have to come up too seems to be altering the reality that he's hitting .160 with a .040 iso and a 23 wRC+. Small sample size and I think he comes around but ignoring reality and celebrating his call up as super successful is just weird to me.

forgot where i saw the tweet, but they took his DRS from right field and projected what it would look like over a full season. he'd had the greatest season from any right fielder ever lol.

forgot where i saw the tweet, but they took his DRS from right field and projected what it would look like over a full season. he'd had the greatest season from any right fielder ever lol.
And Gary Sanchez rookie season was a 61 HR pace and 1000+ for his career. Small sample sizes cause issues lol.

But at the plate, from what I've seen, he doesn't look overmatched/overpowered like some rookies do when they're called up. He's put together solid ABs, so in time it'll turn around.

I think you're misunderstanding DRS. 5 DRS doesn't mean he saved 5 runs. It's not a counting stat. And in small sample sizes, all defensive numbers are terrible.

There are some reasons for caution, however. First, DRS is relative to positional average so you want to factor in the fact hat some positions are harder to play than others. For that reason we have the positional adjustment, which we add to UZR to get DEF. If you prefer DRS, you could add DRS to the adjustment and get a DRS-based DEF.

The other thing to remember is that DRS isn’t going to work well in small sample sizes, especially a couple of months or less. Once you get to one and three-year samples, it’s a relatively solid metric but defensive itself is quite variable so you need a good amount of data for the metrics to become particularly useful. There’s plenty more to say about this issue, but that’s for another entry. In general, DRS isn’t perfect because it doesn’t factor in shifts, positioning, and can’t perfectly measure everything it needs to, but it’s still among the best options out there.
This is like a college report paper :lol: My Brain is Fried.

I would say at the very least Peraza has shown he can handle every level with ease. Not calling him up is malpractice.

Volpe I can understand not wanting to break his confidence.

It’s the Florial situation for Peraza. He’s at the very least too good for AAA. Worst case would be not good enough for MLB. But he’s definitely already past AAA need

Man I’ve said it a few times - I’m there LD week and happy to pay for tickets for ALL OF YALL

It sounds like you do in fact got that rolex money
:lol:
, but wassup anybody else in the area 👀 I’ll pay for my own ticket but I definitely appreciate the love

I wouldn’t say ALWAYS he’s a newer poster that goes head to head with essential1 essential1 who has been posting in here for 10+ years - he’s a big Rolex fan so I will allow it (I’m far too poor for that type of lifestyle)

😂😂😂
Haha I don't intentionally bump heads with essential1 essential1 , we just have some disagreemtns at times. No hard feelings, we're all on the same team.

I would say at the very least Peraza has shown he can handle every level with ease. Not calling him up is malpractice.

Volpe I can understand not wanting to break his confidence.

It’s the Florial situation for Peraza. He’s at the very least too good for AAA. Worst case would be not good enough for MLB. But he’s definitely already past AAA need
Fwiw I'm not against bringing up Peraza. I'm over Donaldson. I just don't think hanging our hat on Cabrera is a good reason bc he has struggled bad at the plate. But it's very small sample size, hope he figured it out.

Usually takes 27 a few weeks to get back. We need his offense bad but I dont even care, just need him to show up in the post season like he’s been doing.

Cortes on the IL now, that’s ****in brutal. He’s been solid again, ****

Last edited:
Curse that damn Green Monster by the way.

He would have had at least one homerun in the wild card game.

It’s an atrocious stadium. But for some reason, I like away games at Oakland more than any other away games. Couldn’t remotely tell you why.

I know Rizzo has been raking all season, but I’m curious about the makeup of this lineup if they were to try it.

1- DJ
2- Gleyber
3- Judge
4- Stanton
5- Rizzo

I know it makes it less dynamic because there’s no lefty to break up the first half of the order at the 2 or 3 spot. But I’m thinking in terms of optimization, and I know Judge at the 2 is to steal an extra at-bat every few games.

Putting Gleyber at the 2 spot will let him see way more hitter friendly pitches. DJ will get on at a high clip, and if you’re a pitcher you’d rather try your hand with Gleyber than you would Judge. That is going to lead to more things to drive , you will stay on the plate for Gleyber because DJ on, Gleyber on with a walk for Judge is disaster central with Judge, Stanton, Rizzo as the 3-4-5.

On the opposite end with what does happen with Gleyber batting 5th it puts him at a much higher pressure situation where he has to do more with less. Even amongst a huge slump he’s at 105 OPS, gonna end up with 50 XBHs for the year. But none of us are gonna say it’s been a great year. Solid bounce back year with ups and downs. Problem is with Donaldson, IKF and Benintendi, none of which are power hitters (this season for Donaldson) it puts so much more on Gleyber and he’ll see less pitches to hit because it’s not strong at the 6-7 spots. Take your chances with those 3 even though Benintendi can hit, but you’re not worried about him hitting a HR.

Rizzo at the 5 on the other hand, is a much better option to cap the top half of the order.
Rizzo has a great eye, and will get on more as they try to pitch around him.

I would then follow it up with Trevino - 6 as he’s been solid most of the season since May.
Then you can throw Tendi in the 7th spot to have a lefty bat to stagger. Then whoever is 8th or 9th will always come up with with one of the 3 guys prior from 5-6-7 on base on average.

I know it won’t happen because they like Rizzo’ bat to split the top half. But I do think Gleyber in the 2 spot and Rizzo at the 5 could do a lot for Gleyber and Rizzo’s patience could be helpful for 6-7-8 spots

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom