NEW YORK YANKEES SEASON THREAD VOL. ROAD TO 27

So it looks as if Joba will be coming out of the pen early in the season and finish as a starter towards the end. Regardless what people say a season under thebelts of Kennedy and Hughes the starting pitching should be ok, unfortunately our mid relief is still atrocious. Other than that we'll lead the league inHR's RBI's and runs scored, but our defense has been
sick.gif
the pastfew seasons.

That is just dumb.....he needs to be left as the set up man, then let him be the closer whenever Mo is done.

Farnsworth is going to be working the 8th innings down the stretch? lol (i know they'll trade for someone, but still...)

Do you think Joba is more valuable as Mo's replacement, or as a starter?...bc I feel like it's a tough decision...

Having a starter like that would be great for us, but not many ppl can come out of the bullpen and shut it down like him, he already proved he can be acloser...

Originally Posted by allen3xis

That is just dumb.....he needs to be left as the set up man, then let him be the closer whenever Mo is done.

Farnsworth is going to be working the 8th innings down the stretch? lol (i know they'll trade for someone, but still...)

The long term plan is for him to be a starter. People don't realize he was brought up to be a starter. Thats what he knows best. He'd be in therotation from day 1 this year but this is the only logical way to limit his innings. Basically, he'll set up until probably June, then he'll go toTampa or Scranton to work on his curve and change and come back in the second half to start. It makes a lot of sense.
By July-August, if Sanchez is ready,he will take over the 8th inning role. He is NASTY. He could be what Joba was last year without a doubt. Horne, Melancon and a bunch of others will also be abig part of the pen this year.

Yall think you should be playin around like that when...

either one of :

NY
Boston
Cle
Detroit

are gona miss the postseason?

It may not break out like that, but if all those teams are bunched together, its not wise, imo

Word Let JOBA rest till the all star break. Then get him in as a starter.

Forget Mussina that dude is one $@*+%## old piece of ##*+.

if they want to make him pitch half the season as a reliever and half as a starter, IMO, he should be a starter in the first half and a reliever in the secondhalf.....it just makes more sense.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

if they want to make him pitch half the season as a reliever and half as a starter, IMO, he should be a starter in the first half and a reliever in the second half.....it just makes more sense.

It doesn't because its a lot harder to acquire a quality starter for the stretch run and Humberto Sanchez should be good to go by August. Other youngrelievers will be ready to come up in the second half as well.

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

if they want to make him pitch half the season as a reliever and half as a starter, IMO, he should be a starter in the first half and a reliever in the second half.....it just makes more sense.

It doesn't because its a lot harder to acquire a quality starter for the stretch run and Humberto Sanchez should be good to go by August. Other young relievers will be ready to come up in the second half as well.
Exactly, let Joba start some games in the second half to get ready for starting the post season and let some young guns prove themselves able to givequality innings outta the pen

They're trying to keep Joba in there early in the season, so that some other guys can almost audition for his spot.

They pretty much want to wait until someone else has risen and proven themselves before they remove their more reliable relief arm and toss him in therotation.

They're also trying to keep his innings around 140 this season.

Makes sense to me. I have a feeling he'll get trapped in the pen, though.

It does make sense if they wanna leave Joba in the pen in the beginning of the year...but i think if they are planning for him to start at anytime during theseason he should start a few spring training games.

Damn BASEBALL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't underlook the prospects. We've got a few under the radar that nobody will be expecting.

Humberto, Alan Horne, Tabata.

What you know about that?!?!?!? If you're not a Yanks fan, chances are, you haven't.
IN CASH, WE TRUST.

Spring training games start next week
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Rotation, rotation: Mike Mussina and Jeff Karstens will each throw about two innings during starts for Wednesday's intrasquad game,Girardi announced. Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain will then do the honors in Friday's scrimmage against South Florida.

Wang will get the ball at 1:05 p.m. ET on Saturday to kick off the Yankees' official exhibition season, taking on the Phillies in Clearwater, Fla.
oh and some great news on Hughes, looks like he's poised to have a great year

Phil Hughes is throwing harder now than he did last year, said Yankees catcher Jose Molina.

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees' catching tandem was ready to hit the streets after another early afternoon at camp when Jose Molina dropped by with a tidbit for Jorge Posada.
Having just completed receiving Phil Hughes' latest bullpen session, an impressed Molina told Posada, "You know what? Phil looks like he has more pop."
Posada concurred, and the backstops aren't the only ones who have noticed.
Said manager Joe Girardi: "You watch him and he leads the groups in running. He just looks like an athlete, a thoroughbred and a leader."

After Hughes' debut season was interrupted by a pop of a different kind -- his left hamstring giving out in the middle of a no-hitter -- the 21-year-old Hughes has set out to keep only positive things on his plate in 2008.

Hughes confirms he's hitting the glove with more force than in his debut season, when he won five games for New York, plus one more in the playoffs. But more importantly, he has confidence that nothing else will go wrong.

"It's not so much the velocity," Hughes said. "It's really the fact that I've felt more comfortable and I've been able to trust my body. I don't have any inklings or thoughts in the back of my head that something will flare up again. I think that's the key, to trust all my pitches and finish everything."

If nothing else, Hughes should feel at home in Tampa. This offseason, Hughes reported regularly to the Yankees' training facility on Himes Avenue, even while general manager Brian Cashman was fielding calls from Twins counterpart Bill Smith, dabbling with a potential deal for Johan Santana.

Even as he attempts to carve his own identity, Hughes is receiving plenty of assistance. Mike Mussina suggested to a clubhouse manager early in Spring Training that Hughes' locker be moved to neighbor his, so the veteran could loop Hughes in with Ian Kennedy if any impromptu pitching discussions broke out.

Then, when Andy Pettitte reported to Tampa, he took it upon himself to walk Hughes, Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain through the same intense workouts Pettitte used to attack with Roger Clemens. Even with so much scrutiny upon the Rocket, his lifting and running regimen still draws admiration.

It helps, of course, that Hughes heeded the call for better fitness. Girardi let it be known that Spring Training '08 would not be a country club, and Hughes showed up ready to go. Spending weeks over at the Minor League complex under the supervision of pitching coach Dave Eiland have been paying dividends early.

"He's in great shape," Girardi said. "All the reports on him that I saw from when he was working down at Himes said he was different. He'd worked really hard.

"... He knows what to expect a little bit more going through."

God damn, it feels like baseball season is coming out of left field...literally. Just yesterday most of us were rejoicing over the Giants and here comes SpringTraining
eek.gif

Originally Posted by jrp44

Damn BASEBALL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Chea.
pimp.gif

I agree with the OP though...I look at our bullpen, and besides having Mo there...can we really rely on anyone else? (Joba, but he's going to eventuallybe a starter). I foresee our bullpen blowing games in the 7th and 8th again...
smh.gif
mad.gif

I'm definitely curious to see though how Phil Hughes and the rest of the young guns respond this year. We'll see which of our prospects are worthkeeping for the long hall and who looks like they're going to be a bust.

Fede DPT- this will also serve as the regular season thread when Opening Day comes around. Just letting you know so you can change the title when the timecomes. And if you don't change it, but you see that one of the mods has changed it, you'll now know why.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Fede DPT- this will also serve as the regular season thread when Opening Day comes around. Just letting you know so you can change the title when the time comes. And if you don't change it, but you see that one of the mods has changed it, you'll now know why.

Okey dokey smokey.
we wont have pitching again this year....sad but its the truth....not rly our fault twins are dirt cheap

Wang, Pettite, Hughes, Kennedy and Joba at the end of the year. Only thing we lack is mid relief, they will make moves.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Spring training games start next week
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Rotation, rotation: Mike Mussina and Jeff Karstens will each throw about two innings during starts for Wednesday's intrasquad game, Girardi announced. Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain will then do the honors in Friday's scrimmage against South Florida.

Wang will get the ball at 1:05 p.m. ET on Saturday to kick off the Yankees' official exhibition season, taking on the Phillies in Clearwater, Fla.
oh and some great news on Hughes, looks like he's poised to have a great year

Phil Hughes is throwing harder now than he did last year, said Yankees catcher Jose Molina.

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees' catching tandem was ready to hit the streets after another early afternoon at camp when Jose Molina dropped by with a tidbit for Jorge Posada.
Having just completed receiving Phil Hughes' latest bullpen session, an impressed Molina told Posada, "You know what? Phil looks like he has more pop."
Posada concurred, and the backstops aren't the only ones who have noticed.
Said manager Joe Girardi: "You watch him and he leads the groups in running. He just looks like an athlete, a thoroughbred and a leader."

After Hughes' debut season was interrupted by a pop of a different kind -- his left hamstring giving out in the middle of a no-hitter -- the 21-year-old Hughes has set out to keep only positive things on his plate in 2008.

Hughes confirms he's hitting the glove with more force than in his debut season, when he won five games for New York, plus one more in the playoffs. But more importantly, he has confidence that nothing else will go wrong.

"It's not so much the velocity," Hughes said. "It's really the fact that I've felt more comfortable and I've been able to trust my body. I don't have any inklings or thoughts in the back of my head that something will flare up again. I think that's the key, to trust all my pitches and finish everything."

If nothing else, Hughes should feel at home in Tampa. This offseason, Hughes reported regularly to the Yankees' training facility on Himes Avenue, even while general manager Brian Cashman was fielding calls from Twins counterpart Bill Smith, dabbling with a potential deal for Johan Santana.

Even as he attempts to carve his own identity, Hughes is receiving plenty of assistance. Mike Mussina suggested to a clubhouse manager early in Spring Training that Hughes' locker be moved to neighbor his, so the veteran could loop Hughes in with Ian Kennedy if any impromptu pitching discussions broke out.

Then, when Andy Pettitte reported to Tampa, he took it upon himself to walk Hughes, Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain through the same intense workouts Pettitte used to attack with Roger Clemens. Even with so much scrutiny upon the Rocket, his lifting and running regimen still draws admiration.

It helps, of course, that Hughes heeded the call for better fitness. Girardi let it be known that Spring Training '08 would not be a country club, and Hughes showed up ready to go. Spending weeks over at the Minor League complex under the supervision of pitching coach Dave Eiland have been paying dividends early.

"He's in great shape," Girardi said. "All the reports on him that I saw from when he was working down at Himes said he was different. He'd worked really hard.

"... He knows what to expect a little bit more going through."

Nice
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

What will be the impact of Joey Girardi?????

Back
Top Bottom