NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
The knock on trillson was his size, everyone said had he been a few inches taller he would've been top 10 and 3rd QB taken.

Not sure why they acting like it was such a reach.

Which is the biggest crock of **** in my opinion, when it came to Russell. In every other aspect he was a home run. People sometimes fall in love with physical attributes more than I think they should.

The knock on trillson was his size, everyone said had he been a few inches taller he would've been top 10 and 3rd QB taken.

Not sure why they acting like it was such a reach.

Tony Pauline, SI.com: "The Seahawks made another questionable decision, tabbing Wilson in the third frame. Wilson is destined to sit behind newly-signed Matt Flynn and will struggle to see the field at any point over the next three years."

Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports: "The Seahawks spent a third-round pick on Wilson even though the history of QBs under 6-foot is poor, to say the least. You don't spend a third-round pick on a guy who'll be lucky to be Seneca Wallace. You also don't do that after signing Matt Flynn as a free agent. The Seahawks are no closer to solving the QB situation now than they were before 2011."

Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com: "Why does Seattle take him? They paid Matt Flynn and have two others. Strange pick."

Joseph Fell, Cold Hard Football Facts: "Just as soon as Seahawks fans began to shell out their hard-earned money for jerseys with Flynn’s name on the back, Carroll once again demonstrated his flair for the dramatic by announcing that Wilson would be the Seahawks’ starting quarterback this fall. This experiment will prove a disaster. … Starting Wilson will most likely lead to another wasted season, and this move may be the one that leads owner Paul Allen to fire Carroll."

Wes Bunting, National Football Post: "Wilson is a plus athlete who can spin the football and gives you a nice run/pass threat. However he's undersized, is going to struggle to consistently make plays from the pocket and is still learning how to work his way through defenses. He is worth a pick late, but I don't see the guy as a potential starter in the NFL. Reserve only."

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: "Russell Wilson is a great test case for shorter QBs, because he has everything else, but did they need him in the third round after grabbing Matt Flynn to come in and likely start?"

The whole he would have been a top 10 pick didnt seem to come around until later

Last edited:
Mel Kiper almost had it right. I can't believe the semi-comparison to Seneca though. They're nothing alike as quarterbacks. :smh:

Seattle fans got the last laugh though, so that's gotta be a great feeling.

Last edited:
I honestly forget where I read it or head it.

But the person was talking about how Russ played behind a massive NFL size line at Wisconsin and how he performed and it should translate for him.

He went on to say how dude had all the intangibles and was that type of player that had he had the physical attributes there's no doubt he would've gone top 10.

Pistol Pete and Seattle had the last laugh though :pimp:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4692296/bobby-wagner-would-have-been-drafted

had we not traded up for claiborne, bobby wagner would have been our 2nd round pick...

im pleased with mo, i think sky is the limit for the kid...

but with our recent switch to 4-3, one can only imagine the trio of sean lee, bruce carter, AND bobby wagner 
sick.gif
. man, those 3 together would of been sick...sick..

I honestly forget where I read it or head it.

But the person was talking about how Russ played behind a massive NFL size line at Wisconsin and how he performed and it should translate for him.

He went on to say how dude had all the intangibles and was that type of player that had he had the physical attributes there's no doubt he would've gone top 10.

Pistol Pete and Seattle had the last laugh though :pimp:

This guy... you read it on NT

From the very beginning I was skeptical about Flynn being a starter. He really didnt do THAT much to get the contract he did. Outside of the Patriots game in 2010 and the Lions game last year Flynn did very little. He wasnt a huge stand out in pre-season and everytime he came in for Rodgers when we were blowing teams out he'd start off with throwing a pick or having 3 and outs.

Now I understand height matters at the QB position but we can always look at Drew Brees who completely proves that idea wrong. And we can always say Wisconsin had a great line to give Russell a ton of time. But..they say height matters because of passing lanes with the O Line. I remember the game when the Badgers lit up Nebraska that they compared the Badgers line to the Packers line and on average the Badgers line was taller and weighed more. So clearly having that tall of an offensive line didnt bother Russel. He had the best Qb rating in all of college, only threw 4 picks all year. His poise in the pocket is top notch. And hes above average when it comes to athleticism and knows when to take off with it. I dont get how he was that over looked. Especially by a 27 year old rookie.

Now that he's got the job I dont see him giving it up, he'll only get better. Seattle no longer has a good problem on their hands with the QB situation. Now they have a problem with what theyre gonna do with Flynn and that contract. And idk who would be dumb enough to take it because I just dont ever see Flynn being a Pro-Bowl QB and idk why any team would settle for anything less. By now I would think teams are done throwing money at people like Kolb and Flynn.

Also, I know niner fans are really on their high horse because they went from being 6-10 two years ago to an above average team but dont get too ahead of yourselves because you are not safe from Seattle what so ever. Seattle may already have a better quarterback than Alex Smiths career best 17 touchdown self.

Chip Kelly hired a Navy SEALS trainer to train the Eagles 
laugh.gif

You see how they train the Navy SEALs,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-former-navy-seals-trainer-for-eagles-staff/

one of the comments on the article:

"I wonder how this is going to go over with the veterans in the locker room. It’s a shame McNabb is no longer on the team – it would be priceless to see his reaction to being squirted with water while he is working out."

laugh.gif

i think they're going to be a surprise  team this year, them and the Bills. both teams are doing things way different from what they normally do. 

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4692296/bobby-wagner-would-have-been-drafted

had we not traded up for claiborne, bobby wagner would have been our 2nd round pick...

im pleased with mo, i think sky is the limit for the kid...

but with our recent switch to 4-3, one can only imagine the trio of sean lee, bruce carter, AND bobby wagner 
sick.gif

. man, those 3 together would of been sick...sick..

Funny thing is the last 2 drafts the cowboys had the right picks but drafted out of need ( no ones knocking it, plus they were the right picks)

But Smith over Watt
And Mo = no Wagner

Houston and Seattle ain't complaining though :pimp: :pimp:

Also thanks GMS for pointing that out.

Chip Kelly hired a Navy SEALS trainer to train the Eagles 
laugh.gif

You see how they train the Navy SEALs
,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-former-navy-seals-trainer-for-eagles-staff/

one of the comments on the article:
"I wonder how this is going to go over with the veterans in the locker room. It’s a shame McNabb is no longer on the team – it would be priceless to see his reaction to being squirted with water while he is working out."

:lol:

i think they're going to be a surprise  team this year, them and the Bills. both teams are doing things way different from what they normally do. 

Dudes gonna be showing up to training camp with a lawyer and a union rep. :lol:

scores might be even more insane this year than last with Chip Kelly running an offense, and he's going to piss off so many fans of other teams by running up the score if the other teams defense can't stop his offense. here's what he did last season with the ducks:  63-14, 70-14, 49-0. 
laugh.gif

scores might be even more insane this year than last with Chip Kelly running an offense, and he's going to piss off so many fans of other teams by running up the score if the other teams defense can't stop his offense. here's what he did last season with the ducks: 63-14, 
70-14, 
49-0. 
laugh.gif

:lol:

NFL isn't the same though. Not saying they won't put up points, but it's not like he's automatically coming in and building a scheme that puts up 60 points on the regular in the NFL. Looks like he plans on it though. Whipping these boys into shape.

I wanted this guy to fail initially, but after further thought, I'm kind of pulling for him. I like this Eagles team so I wouldn't mind seeing them have some success. And if Dennis Dixon is the Q...:pimp:

Last edited:
@651 yeah, i agree, it probably won't happen right away. it might take Chip some time before he builds a team capable of doing that, but when he does i fully expect him to crush souls of other teams coaches and players when he does. 

i expect something similar to what Carroll did this year to the Cards when the hawks played them. i remember announcers saying "That's not how you build friends in the NFL Pete.". 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
:lol: Pete is the man. He don't give a damn.

I think it's good that Chip is sticking to his guns though. He believes in his system and approach so that's what he's going to do. It's always a dangerous rope to walk when you try and switch up everything you know in favor of something that may not be your strong suit because you feel you have to change since you change levels. It's failed coaches in the past. Stick to what you do and see what happens.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
Pete is the man. He don't give a damn.

I think it's good that Chip is sticking to his guns though. He believes in his system and approach so that's what he's going to do. It's always a dangerous rope to walk when you try and switch up everything you know in favor of something that may not be your strong suit because you feel you have to change since you change levels. It's failed coaches in the past. Stick to what you do and see what happens.
this. running qbs are starting to grow in the nfl. nothing against pocket passers but having a qb that can thrown and run opens up the playbook dramatically. i think chip will be great for the eagles offense. they have good talent on offense. the defense will be what defines this team.

Eagles will probably go for o line players right away in the draft. Chip could run a pretty effective read option with a strong line, Vick and their RB Bryce Brown. Andy Reid just wasn't good enough  to use it. 

Last edited:
I have a feeling chip is gonna either do extremely well or horribly bad.
this..

chester can obviously speak more on this point than i can, since he's NT's resident oregon fan.. but chip's "scheme" or "system" is based more on tempo than having a running QB (check his time with New Hampshire)..

having a smart QB who can make quick decisions is more important to him than having a running QB (see the patriots)

we have 2 good RBs in shady and bryce (granted bryce needs to learn how to hang on to the ball).. then we have guys who do well in space like desean and maclin.. then we have guys like celek, avant, cooper, lewis and johnson to all get sprinkled in

he emphasizes the running game and getting his 'playmakers' in space with blockers.. not really that gimmicky when you think about it.. it's just forcing the defense to show you their hand and/or limiting their ability to adjust

also this was a very good point that was made by reuben frank in a recent article:

"The Eagles’ success from 2000 through 2008 was due in great part to Andy Reid’s original staff. When those guys gradually began leaving for promotions -- Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier, John Harbaugh, Brad Childress, Steve Spagnuolo, Shurmur -- on top of the tragic death of Jim Johnson, that’s when the Eagles stopped enjoying the same level of success and gradually turned into a last-place team."

also on jim johnson before his time with the egales:

"Even the legendary Johnson hadn’t had a unit ranked higher than 18th during his two years as an NFL defensive coordinator, 1996 and 1997 with the Colts."

http://www.csnphilly.com//eagles/dont-rush-judge-kellys-staff-lack-big-names

For exec of the year, it's easy to see why he didn't win it. Any other year and I'd probably be protesting the results and demanding a re-do. Hell, John Elway got 2nd place in voting off the strength of Peyton Manning.
mean.gif
 More of a shaft than Schneider not getting 1st place, imo.

Compare the two rookie seasons of Brockers & Irvin. If we could have a re-do at #15...I'm taking Brockers.

For exec of the year, it's easy to see why he didn't win it. Any other year and I'd probably be protesting the results and demanding a re-do. Hell, John Elway got 2nd place in voting off the strength of Peyton Manning. :smh:  More of a shaft than Schneider not getting 1st place, imo.

Compare the two rookie seasons of Brockers & Irvin. If we could have a re-do at #15...I'm taking Brockers.

Well the biggest move the Colts GM made was drafting Andrew luck #1, so it's hard to give him too much credit for that....

For exec of the year, it's easy to see why he didn't win it. Any other year and I'd probably be protesting the results and demanding a re-do. Hell, John Elway got 2nd place in voting off the strength of Peyton Manning.
mean.gif
 More of a shaft than Schneider not getting 1st place, imo.

elway landed the biggest free agent since the start of free agency in the nfl. im not saying he deserved top honors but that was huge. schneider took the franchise forward through the draft. schneider should of won it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom