NFL Discussion Thread: Pats win SB XLIX. Offseason begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said blockers, as in linemen cannot be more than a yard passed the LOS on a pass play.  WR's can go wherever they want.

If the QB keeps the ball isn't it technically a PA and the receivers can run wherever?

He said blockers, as in linemen cannot be more than a yard passed the LOS on a pass play.  WR's can go wherever they want.
This

The way you block on this is different that on PA as well.  Seattle's OL was blocking like it was a regular IZ play.  Defensive guys hate this play because it messes up the DB's reads. 

In college this is a hard call to make because its three yards, and usually only gets called when its very obvious.  In the NFL it should be a lot easier because of the rule differences.

Yeah sorry I read that wrong.

LEGAL AND ILLEGAL ACTS
Article 1 Legal and Illegal Acts. On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an
ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one
yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown.
Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an
opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an
opponent
; or
(b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage,
he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or
(c) after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he
is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to
normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.
Note 1: If an offensive player moves beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent, an
eligible offensive player may catch a pass between them and the line of scrimmage.
Item 2: Illegally Downfield. An ineligible offensive player is illegally downfield if:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage without contacting an opponent; or
(b) after losing contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage, he advances more
than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage; or
(c) after losing contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he
continues to move in any direction.
Penalty: For ineligible offensive player downfield: Loss of five yards from the previous spot.

So was it a legal pass than?

untitled-12qrk2x.gif

See? Already illegal. Center is 2-3 yards downfield when the throw is made. Should have been a penalty.

But wait, I'm a Seahawk hater, so this gif must be incorrect, and my blind bias is blinding me. TD Russ!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I realize that but it also says the player is still legally down field if he is engaged in a block down field and moves to another block with in a yard with looks really damn close in that image.
And yes you hate everything Seattle idk why you try and justify it.

What I want to know, or we need to find out, is if the defensive team will have the ability to challenge that play?

Cuz that's something reviewable imo, illegal man downfield, with the aerial camera at the very least, they could find that angle and reverse the call. I wonder if GB even knew it happened tho. Bet they send something to the league when they view the film. The NFL will say "whoops" and nothing else will come of it. :lol:

See? Already illegal. Center is 2-3 yards downfield when the throw is made. Should have been a penalty.

But wait, I'm a Seahawk hater, so this gif must be incorrect, and my blind bias is blinding me. TD Russ!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I realize that but it also says the player is still legally down field if he is engaged in a block down field and moves to another block with in a yard with looks really damn close in that image.
And yes you hate everything Seattle idk why you try and justify it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He looked engaged to you when he moved on to his SECOND block downfield? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'M the biased one? :rofl:

man im pumped for sunday!!!! (also saturday notre dame is gonna put a hurtin on michigan)... I wont be running any parlays week 1 tho not too sure on teams just yet... except for indy but i dont bet on my own team lol.

An ineligible offensive player is illegally downfield if:
(b) after losing contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage, he advances more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage

Unger was illegally downfield.

An ineligible offensive player is illegally downfield if:

after losing contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage, he advances more
than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage;

after losing contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he
continues to move in any direction.

Clear as day.

His first block is fine, he's engaged, blocking, 1 yard, he's fine.

He then moves on to a SECOND block, more than a yard past the LOS.

There is nothing to argue here. They got away with one. Cut and dry.

Pereira's explanation:

On the sea TD, linemen were not downfield - it's only a foul if linemen are more than one yard downfield. The center was only 1

look at release of pass. Ball was snapped at 33, at release back foot was at 32

it's at the point where the ball was released

Edit: I should add that there is leeway and the whole "one-yard" thing has been a gray area for years. It's more like 1.5-2 yards, and it's difficult for referees to spot it exactly all the time.

Last edited:
Edit: I should add that there is leeway and the whole "one-yard" thing has been a gray area for years. It's more like 1.5-2 yards, and it's difficult for referees to spot it exactly all the time.

That's why I was askin if the other team has the right to challenge that. That would have been a good challenge to make.

:lol: at his back foot was at the 32, rest of his body at the 31 so it's clean. Ok. :lol:

Well a former head of officiating agrees it was legal
Guess he's just biased

Mike Pereira was the Pac-10 coordinator of officiating. 'Nuff said.

Ever heard of Pac 10 officials?

Remember when the Packers intercepted a ball in the end zone and the refs called it a touchdown for the Seahawks? **** happens. :lol:

Well a former head of officiating agrees it was legal
Guess he's just biased

Mike Pereira was the Pac-10 coordinator of officiating. 'Nuff said.

Ever heard of Pac 10 officials?

Remember when the Packers intercepted a ball in the end zone and the refs called it a touchdown for the Seahawks? **** happens. :lol:

Except he said said the fail Mary was a bad call..

And chill with the your not biased cap. Your on naughtyhares level. You must have caught your wife fingering herself to RW after you struggled to get it up.

naughtyhares is going to kill himself when his team don't make the playoffs.

Richard ShermanVerified account ‏@RSherman_25

Don't you love when losers tell winners how to play....makes me laugh everytime....

Last edited:
That "mild knee sprain" turned into a torn MCL for Bulaga...

Every ****** year man... :lol:

Don't know if it was Bulaga or the TE, but Chris COllinsworth said right after the injuries - "he's got concussion-like symptoms." :lol: C'mon man. I think it's fine for us as fans to play armchair medic, but for a guy giving play-by-play? pssht.... SMH.

Don't know if it was Bulaga or the TE, but Chris COllinsworth said right after the injuries - "he's got concussion-like symptoms." :lol: C'mon man. I think it's fine for us as fans to play armchair medic, but for a guy giving play-by-play? pssht.... SMH.

Collinsworth is garbaj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom