NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All billionaires aren’t equal and this goes beyond salary cap implications and the football world.

This is one extremely underrated aspect of sports. I always bring this up into relation to the NBA when it comes to the Dallas Mavericks and owner Mark Cuban. People call him a broke boi despite being worth $4.5B.

He’s absolutely not broke but most of his net worth is the Mavericks ($2.4B) and AMZN and NFLX stock (~$2B each). AMZN and NFLX don’t have dividends and he makes like $1MM annually for Shark Tank. Sooooo that means his main cash stream each year is the Mavericks operating income so basically going over the cap has a significant impact on how much he takes home annually. He’s going to move differently than other teams that may be owned by multiple individuals or an ownership group.

It’s the gift and the curse of being a “paper millionaire/billionaire”. Yeah, your net worth is going to be high and you’ll receive generous tax advantages down the line when you eventually sell stocks but you are nowhere near as liquid as Pablo Escobar :lol:

Last edited:
This is one extremely aspect of sports. I always bring this up into relation to the NBA when it comes to the Dallas Mavericks and owner Mark Cuban. People call him a broke boi despite being worth $4.5B.

He’s absolutely not broke but most of his net worth is the Mavericks ($2.4B) and AMZN and NFLX stock (~$2B each). AMZN and NFLX don’t have dividends and he makes like $1MM annually for Shark Tank. Sooooo that means his main cash stream each year is the Mavericks operating income so basically going over the cap has a significant income on how much he makes annually. He’s going to move differently than other owners that may be owned by multiple individuals or an ownership group.

It’s the gift and the curse of being a “paper millionaire/billionaire”. Yeah, your net worth is going to be high and you’ll received generous tax advantages down the line when you eventually sell stocks but you are nowhere near as liquid as Pablo Escobar :lol:
Exactly. The general public doesn’t understand or comprehend liquidity at that level. Most rich folk don’t have millions upon millions of cash just chillin in a no interest checking account :lol:

Another note on Lamar, it takes two sides to make a deal and we have no idea what he’s rejected when he was first eligible for an extension in 2021. The NFLPA may have been in his ear about forthcoming TV deals and encouraged him to wait a couple years for the salary cap to increase. Then the Watson deal happens a year later and resets the market.

None of these lazy narratives consider the nuances and fair reasons why an agreement hasn’t been reach. FWIW, I want Snyder to pay Lamar whatever he wants. I think he’d give us as good a chance as any QB to actually make some noise.

Exactly. The general public doesn’t understand or comprehend liquidity at that level. Most rich folk don’t have millions upon millions of cash just chillin in a no interest checking account :lol:

Another note on Lamar, it takes two sides to make a deal and we have no idea what he’s rejected when he was first eligible for an extension in 2021. The NFLPA may have been in his ear about forthcoming TV deals and encouraged him to wait a couple years for the salary cap to increase. Then the Watson deal happens a year later and resets the market.

None of these lazy narratives consider the nuances and fair reasons why an agreement hasn’t been reach. FWIW, I want Snyder to pay Lamar whatever he wants. I think he’d give us as good a chance as any QB to actually make some noise.

I was with you until the you the Lamar leaving to go to your team part :lol: But on a serious note, the income streams part plays into ownership involvement team. Based on the Cuban example, the team and Shark Tank are his main active income streams so he can afford (no pun intended) to be heavily involved with the organization.

If Bezos buys the Commanders, I would imagine he would be barely be involved :lol: By the way - I am assuming you are a Washington fan, so I hav a question. Has his interest in the team been linked to the second HQ in Crystal City? In the sense of him showing a commitment/investment to the area?

Professional sports team ownership has always been filled with people that have different degrees of wealth and liquidity. As a baseball fan I used to hate when the Yankees and Sox would be able to afford big name free agents while my home town Rockies never got anyone. What I’ve learned over the years is that even though the Monforts don’t have Steinbrenner money, the difference between the two is that the Steinbrenners actually spend money to improve their team while the Monforts are cool just fielding bad teams knowing that Coors Field will be packed more games than not. Owning a professional sports team isn’t a right but a privilege. There is a reason why they don’t let any and everyone into their club.

If Bezos buys the Commanders, I would imagine he would be barely be involved :lol: By the way - I am assuming you are a Washington fan, so I hav a question. Has his interest in the team been linked to the second HQ in Crystal City? In the sense of him showing a commitment/investment to the area?
Moved out the area a few years ago but still a Washington fan. I don't believe HQ2 being in Arlington signaled Bezos' serious interest in the team because it was supposed to be in NYC originally. Then the locals pushed him out while VA opened its arms. Crystal City is a very affluent area where his type fit right in. On that same note I don't see his presence or lack thereof having a material impact on that side of the bridge or its identity.

I'd welcome Bezos or any new owner that simply signs the checks and lets the FO and scouts do their jobs.

Professional sports team ownership has always been filled with people that have different degrees of wealth and liquidity. As a baseball fan I used to hate when the Yankees and Sox would be able to afford big name free agents while my home town Rockies never got anyone. What I’ve learned over the years is that even though the Monforts don’t have Steinbrenner money, the difference between the two is that the Steinbrenners actually spend money to improve their team while the Monforts are cool just fielding bad teams knowing that Coors Field will be packed more games than not. Owning a professional sports team isn’t a right but a privilege. There is a reason why they don’t let any and everyone into their club.

For sure! Also, depending on the owner, owning a sports team isn’t really about winning or how much you make per year. Rather the massive increase in valuation during ownership.

Moved out the area a few years ago but still a Washington fan. I don't believe HQ2 being in Arlington signaled Bezos' serious interest in the team because it was supposed to be in NYC originally. Then the locals pushed him out while VA opened its arms. Crystal City is a very affluent area where his type fit right in. On that same note I don't see his presence or lack thereof having a material impact on that side of the bridge or its identity.

I'd welcome Bezos or any new owner that simply signs the checks and lets the FO and scouts do their jobs.

Yeah, I’m hip to Crystal City/Arlington so I know the money is long in that area :lol: I was just curious if they were connected but like you said, at this point fans just want Snyder out of the paint. Funny about the WaPo beef Snyder has with Bezos, though. It’s like bro…you are trying to sell the team for $6-7 billion+ and at first no one bit. Why would you in any way isolate the 3rd richest human being in the world :lol:

Yeah, I’m hip to Crystal City/Arlington so I know the money is long in that area :lol: I was just curious if they were connected but like you said, at this point fans just want Snyder out of the paint. Funny about the WaPo beef Snyder has with Bezos, though. It’s like bro…you are trying to sell the team for $6-7 billion+ and at first no one bit. Why would you in any way isolate the 3rd richest human being in the world :lol:
I thought that too but Bezos being the 3rd richest is exactly why Snyder froze him out at least initially (among those other reasons). Bezos can outbid anybody so others won’t even bother to submit a bid if they don’t have a chance. Better for Snyder and the owners to have the “small fish” establish the market and then let Bezos enter later to raise it even further.

I thought that too but Bezos being the 3rd richest is exactly why Snyder froze him out at least initially (among those other reasons). Bezos can outbid anybody so others won’t even bother to submit a bid if they don’t have a chance. Better for Snyder and the owners to have the “small fish” establish the market and then let Bezos enter later to raise it even further.

I guess we are saying opposite things :lol: I would think it is best for Snyder to have him as a bidder because he can actually meeting his sale price requirements. It also should behoove all current owners because he reset the market for franchise prices so technically the other teams valuations would rise accordingly. Only outsiders would lose.

It’s the Dashaun Watson Effect:emoji_tm: of ownership :lol:

You had the correct tweet, edited it with a Thielen one, put back in two of Schefter’s tweets, just want to know if my noti bro is ok :lol:
😂😂😂 my guy

I tried to edit the CJG news w the deal info bro lol I’m on mobile rn so no idea if it worked, stays buggin for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom