Nigerians Are Getting Smarter These Days EDIT: only scammers & not the other upstanding Nigerians

I listed my laptop on craigslist for sale and get this email from a "Johnson Chime." Sounds like a legit name so I reply. But naw, this foo wants me to mail it to west africa.

edlover.jpg

To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, September 28, 2010 9:24:50 AM
Subject:

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid:  wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info:  [URL]http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html[/url]

-- 
I am intrested in buying your item. What is the working condition
like? what is your firm price?

Sent from my iPhone 4
[table][tr][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]From:[/td][td]
Me
Add to Contacts[/td][/tr][tr][td]To:[/td][td]Johnson Chime <[email protected]>[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hi Johnson,

It's in great condition and the battery still lasts a long time since i take it out whenever it's plugged in. $500 is pretty much my firm price since the laptop comes with a lot of great specs.

Thanks,

Then dude hits me with this:
To: Me
Sent: Thu, September 30, 2010 10:02:51 AM
Subject:

Hello,

I am very grateful to hear back from you. I am a University Senior
lecturer residing in Texas.The HP DV4-1028 US Laptop Notebook is for my son's
birthday gift,due to his brilliant performance,he was currently
transfered from Us to West Africa with his team on a research on Human
development under world Health Organization. I'll be paying you
through paypal. I will forward my son's residential address to you for
shipping as soon as the payment reaches you. Send me your paypal email
so that i will send the payment today.

NB: I will be paying you $610 for both the cost price and shipping
fee.Please get back to me so that i will proceed with the payment.

Best Regard.

Sent from my iPhone 4
Son even had the "sent from my iphone 4" tag
roll.gif
so i decided to mess around with him and reply back

[table][tr][/tr][/table]
Me
Add to Contacts[/td][/tr][tr][td]To:[/td][td]Johnson Chime <[email protected]>[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hi Johnson,

I'm sorry but $610 will not be enough for shipping. I have contacted the Postmaster General and he advised me that in these situations, he will have to deliver this item himself. Therefore, I will have to buy him a round trip airplane ticket in order for him to reach your son (it must be first class because I would not want him to be sitting in coach eating his frozen dinner with those savages). In addition to the plane ticket, he also needs a laptop case in order to carry this precious laptop. At first he said that any bag is fine, but I insisted that he use a case made from the finest cow hide (preferably from one that has not experienced pregnancy to ensure there are no stretch marks). Since you reside in Texas, there must be an abundance of farm animals there. I hope that I can entrust you with the task of picking a prime cow for slaughter in order to use its soft leathery hide for the case. All in all, I estimate the Postmaster General's travel fees to be around $2500 USD. His name is Frank in case you think that this was a story I made up to swindle you. I eagerly await your reply.

Thanks,
SMH at these scammers
edited to put more smiles on the readers of this fine forum

I listed my laptop on craigslist for sale and get this email from a "Johnson Chime." Sounds like a legit name so I reply. But naw, this foo wants me to mail it to west africa.

edlover.jpg

To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, September 28, 2010 9:24:50 AM
Subject:

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid:  wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info:  [URL]http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html[/url]

-- 
I am intrested in buying your item. What is the working condition
like? what is your firm price?

Sent from my iPhone 4
[table][tr][/tr][/table]
Me
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hi Johnson,

It's in great condition and the battery still lasts a long time since i take it out whenever it's plugged in. $500 is pretty much my firm price since the laptop comes with a lot of great specs.

Thanks,

Then dude hits me with this:
To: Me
Sent: Thu, September 30, 2010 10:02:51 AM
Subject:

Hello,

I am very grateful to hear back from you. I am a University Senior
lecturer residing in Texas.The HP DV4-1028 US Laptop Notebook is for my son's
birthday gift,due to his brilliant performance,he was currently
transfered from Us to West Africa with his team on a research on Human
development under world Health Organization. I'll be paying you
through paypal. I will forward my son's residential address to you for
shipping as soon as the payment reaches you. Send me your paypal email
so that i will send the payment today.

NB: I will be paying you $610 for both the cost price and shipping
fee.Please get back to me so that i will proceed with the payment.

Best Regard.

Sent from my iPhone 4
Son even had the "sent from my iphone 4" tag
roll.gif
so i decided to mess around with him and reply back

[table][tr][/tr][/table]
Me
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hi Johnson,

I'm sorry but $610 will not be enough for shipping. I have contacted the Postmaster General and he advised me that in these situations, he will have to deliver this item himself. Therefore, I will have to buy him a round trip airplane ticket in order for him to reach your son (it must be first class because I would not want him to be sitting in coach eating his frozen dinner with those savages). In addition to the plane ticket, he also needs a laptop case in order to carry this precious laptop. At first he said that any bag is fine, but I insisted that he use a case made from the finest cow hide (preferably from one that has not experienced pregnancy to ensure there are no stretch marks). Since you reside in Texas, there must be an abundance of farm animals there. I hope that I can entrust you with the task of picking a prime cow for slaughter in order to use its soft leathery hide for the case. All in all, I estimate the Postmaster General's travel fees to be around $2500 USD. His name is Frank in case you think that this was a story I made up to swindle you. I eagerly await your reply.

Thanks,
SMH at these scammers
edited to put more smiles on the readers of this fine forum

speaking for all of the nigerian NTers and the other non scammers around the world when i say, your title is foul.

speaking for all of the nigerian NTers and the other non scammers around the world when i say, your title is foul.

I love your response, these guys are too much out here also.
They are not only looking to buy things, but rent out places as well. Instead of offering money these guys ask for money.
They ask for the deposit money before you can check out the place listed on craigslist...
SMDH at these damn scammers.

I love your response, these guys are too much out here also.
They are not only looking to buy things, but rent out places as well. Instead of offering money these guys ask for money.
They ask for the deposit money before you can check out the place listed on craigslist...
SMDH at these damn scammers.

Originally Posted by 03silverbullet

how is it foul that i said Nigerians are getting smarter? if anything, it's a compliment. I may have been politically wrong to assume that this particular scammer is Nigerian, but everything about the email fits the prototypical 419 scam

Originally Posted by 03silverbullet

how is it foul that i said Nigerians are getting smarter? if anything, it's a compliment. I may have been politically wrong to assume that this particular scammer is Nigerian, but everything about the email fits the prototypical 419 scam

I have a Nigerian scammer trying to buy my AWE tuning exhaust for a 06-09 Volkswagen Rabbit. He's willing to give me 750 (200 over asking price) but I need to also send it to his son over seas.

I have a Nigerian scammer trying to buy my AWE tuning exhaust for a 06-09 Volkswagen Rabbit. He's willing to give me 750 (200 over asking price) but I need to also send it to his son over seas.

Back
Top Bottom