Nike Basketball (any brand) Rotation/Performance Reviews

What makes you say the se version and not the normal 34?

I was gonna ask the exact same thing.

I love my 34’s (favorite features being the support and traction) but I feel like Jordan Brand could have made the flight plate or whatever it’s called a little more forgiving so that the zoom feels a little closer to a Jordan 28 or 31.

To this day I still can’t get over the fact that Jordan Brand came SO close to literal perfection in the 31, but they missed so hard on the traction that the shoe was dangerous and unwearable to anyone playing more than a game of HORSE.

Went with the PG4 Gatorade Gx today. Was nursing a stiff Achilles but gave it a shot in a mediocre hoop session with my teammates. Went TTS and was pleasantly surprised that they fit awesome. Now I did compensate before hand by switching to thinner generic socks as oppose to my traditional quarter length cushioned Nike Basketball Elite. Also I only wore a single pair rather than doubling up like I normally would. The extra heel padding was clutch with my ailing Achilles as it quickly loosened up and the pain subsided. I honestly forgot I had on anything at all. Comfort level was through the roof. Once I got acclimated to the feel, my cuts felt crisp and secure. Impact was minimal on my jumpers and landings after attacks to the basket. Very soft ride. Even post workout I was in no hurry to take them off and switch back to my preferred air max 270s and 720s, as would typically be the norm .... This is easily replacing my PG 2.5s as the go to shoe. Will have to cop at least 5 or 6 more. Nike iD, here I come.

not gonna tell you how to live your life but be careful playing on a sore or stiff Achilles. I have a friend who partially tore his and he said prior to the game it was stiff, but being the type to just suck it up hurt him in the long run.

At the end of the day there’s something causing the stiffness and it’s not at 100% health at that time.. one move and you’re potentially done.

any other stiffness I’d say play thru it but Achilles injuries scare me the most due to recovery and rehab

34s are the best basketball shoe I've tried in a very long time. My main go-to for years has been the playoff xiiis. These might change that, I'm going to go ball in them a little more hardcore soon.

not gonna tell you how to live your life but be careful playing on a sore or stiff Achilles. I have a friend who partially tore his and he said prior to the game it was stiff, but being the type to just suck it up hurt him in the long run.

At the end of the day there’s something causing the stiffness and it’s not at 100% health at that time.. one move and you’re potentially done.

any other stiffness I’d say play thru it but Achilles injuries scare me the most due to recovery and rehab

I definitely appreciate the concern fam. I encourage and welcome ANY commentary and/or critique on anything I post. Especially when it's genuine concern to my well being. I think the reason I've been putting off getting it checked out is the fear that it will require major surgery. In my heart I know something is wrong and at 41 years old I don't know if I can bounce back from it. I've been playing competitively since I was 5 or 6 and I can't really begin to fathom not being able to compete anymore.

I definitely appreciate the concern fam. I encourage and welcome ANY commentary and/or critique on anything I post. Especially when it's genuine concern to my well being. I think the reason I've been putting off getting it checked out is the fear that it will require major surgery. In my heart I know something is wrong and at 41 years old I don't know if I can bounce back from it. I've been playing competitively since I was 5 or 6 and I can't really begin to fathom not being able to compete anymore.
Is there a lump on the outside heel, right below the ankle (calcaneus)?
Is there a lump directly on the achilles tendon, with the affected tendon larger than the other?
Inability to walk transitioning heel to toe in the morning? Feel better in the shower, warm water, then becoming more stiff as the day progresses?

Do not play on this, get an exam. Probably therapy for two weeks, and if tendonosis/partial tear? A boot will be prescribed. If you've been playing in shoes that feature zoom air? You may need to stop.

Blueprint10.... I know the thought of what could happen is down right depressing, but even if the news from a doc is worse case scenario, you’ll bounce back. If you’ve been playing that long you won’t stay away. Trust me, I’ve ruptured mine. Thought I’d never play again....well thats the furthest thing from the truth. Haha. You’ll be good dude. Take the precautionary steps. Stretching is super major. Icing and doing what’s prescribed is key. I hope it’s just a strain for you and after some rest, rehab, and stretching, you’ll be back to normal.

JS”

Is there a lump on the outside heel, right below the ankle (calcaneus)?
Is there a lump directly on the achilles tendon, with the affected tendon larger than the other?
Inability to walk transitioning heel to toe in the morning? Feel better in the shower, warm water, then becoming more stiff as the day progresses?

Do not play on this, get an exam. Probably therapy for two weeks, and if tendonosis/partial tear? A boot will be prescribed. If you've been playing in shoes that feature zoom air? You may need to stop.

No lumps nor abnormalities that can be felt physically. There's brief stiffness when I first begin to move around after long stints of immobility (i.e. sleep, watching tv or driving for long periods). Walking/running in zoom air seems to actually speed up the elevation of the pain. The pain doesn't get progressively worse throughout the day. It actually begins to feel better the more I move around on it, in most cases.

Blueprint10.... I know the thought of what could happen is down right depressing, but even if the news from a doc is worse case scenario, you’ll bounce back. If you’ve been playing that long you won’t stay away. Trust me, I’ve ruptured mine. Thought I’d never play again....well thats the furthest thing from the truth. Haha. You’ll be good dude. Take the precautionary steps. Stretching is super major. Icing and doing what’s prescribed is key. I hope it’s just a strain for you and after some rest, rehab, and stretching, you’ll be back to normal.

JS”
I make it a habit to try and stretch as much as possible, but if I'm running late to a game or hoop session (on-court basketball specific workout) I tend to either abbreviate the stretching process or skip it altogether. However, I do feel much better with hot/cold treatments post workout and after games. As I get older, I experience the need for increased amounts of pre and post workout stretching. Funny how life works.

No lumps nor abnormalities that can be felt physically. There's brief stiffness when I first begin to move around after long stints of immobility (i.e. sleep, watching tv or driving for long periods). Walking/running in zoom air seems to actually speed up the elevation of the pain. The pain doesn't get progressively worse throughout the day. It actually begins to feel better the more I move around on it, in most cases.
Yeah, eccentric movements are essential in rehabbing this sort of situation. The eccentric movement/ the downward movement of a calf raise, of which strengthens the tendon while adding flexibility. While coupled with dorsiflexion movements, bringing the toe upward toward the knee, flexing the ankle, while the leg is straight, helps this situation as well. But first off, make sure that you do not have a microtear (tendonosis).

Zoom air, Boost and Asics gel are notorious in regard to this condition, and then do lead to further inflammation, as well as ortholite inserts.

I was dealing with the same for a while... sucked waking up. Couldn’t walk at first. My league ended and rested it and got better. Update with your diagnosis

I would assume that different types of cushioning systems respond differently based on the way you move and play as well body type.

Eh. Not all zoom is created equal but I've never heard anyone say that Zoom is not ideal for certain injuries.

Like I've literally never heard someone say that until earlier in this thread.

Caved in and bought the Kyrie 6’s for $73 during the flash 30% sale on NDC. Crazy how I get older I prefer minimal zoom plus maximum court feel. Added $5 2-day shipping so I can put them to work this weekend

3v0uo4.jpg

Hope everyone is safe! Since we cannot test the performance of our new kicks, how do you all feel about having a tiny kicks on feet at home exhibit here? Let's get creative guys!

I hit the local park at 6:30 am each morning and get shots up. Kinda nice no one is there except a few people walking their dogs. Been hooping in my PG2s I got for $45 outdoors and they are money outdoors. Only bad part is my traction is gonna wear out super fast.

Back
Top Bottom