NIKE KOBE VI PROTRO - 2021

I want to listen to the call or read the transcript to get more of the context but this sounds good to me

Edit - found it

"Speaking of the game’s greatest, FY23 marked 20 years of LeBron’s signature shoe. We’re
excited for the continued potential of the LeBron business, as his brand reaches a new
dimension with LeBron bringing back earlier styles onto the court – igniting new energy for these
retro models with consumers.
In addition, the Sabrina 1 is resonating strongly since launch, helping double our WNBA
business vs. what it was just two years ago. And it’s going to be an exciting summer as we set
the stage to relaunch the Kobe Brand in advance of Kobe Day on 8/24"

Last edited:
I’ve come to realize Nike’s disastrous handling of this line greatly benefits Kobe sneaker fans.

If there’s a market for something and it not adequately met, others step up to the plate and help meet that demand. That is what has happed with this sneaker line

Nike didn’t seem to want some people’s money…now other parties are gladly taking it.

Because of the way this has been handled…other parties stepped-up their game and improved their product substantially. The product got improved so much…it’s now almost impossible to differentiate from Nike’s and other producers.

There really is only one loser now when it comes to Kobe sneaker fans…and that is the individuals who pay more than retail for any Kobe sneaker.

Given the quality of this product line now, regardless of whether it’s produced by Nike, or one of the other parties…

Now more than ever…there really is no reason to pay more than retail.
one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen

In addition, the Sabrina 1 is resonating strongly since launch, helping double our WNBA
business vs. what it was just two years ago.
And it’s going to be an exciting summer as we set
the stage to relaunch the Kobe Brand in advance of Kobe Day on 8/24"
Interesting they said that when Sabrina 1 sales to date are about $0.00

What are they smoking 🤣

Can only hope it’s relaunched and more readily available. It’s a long shot I know.

Huarache and team shoes....

That would be like re-launching Halloween with Necco Wafers and Hershey Special Darks.

Guess those Protro OCs really aren't sitting in warehouse somewhere...LOL.

July 4th weekend 2019 (I think...I lose track with the pandemic) while road-tripping I hit up two factory stores. The Protro 1s were shelved from floor to ceiling...They weren't all size 7s either.
Multiple colorways.
Discounted.
I took a picture....panoramic.

People would stand there, check their phone to see what they were re-selling for, then walk away because they could be had cheaper on the re-sale sites.
They were sitting HARD.

Mind you...when initially released on the app...it was the usual dog and pony show. Gone in no-time.

That was not a good look in terms of 'hype.'

I'm convinced that is what has been driving the current dog and pony show with this line.

Or it was Kobe’s death, Nike pulling his products and then when bringing them back when everyone wanted them, release them in limited numbers to cause hype. Kobe’s hitting disco and the factory stores wasn’t some rare occurrence. They went on disco all the time.
It was 100% his death.

Kobe stuff that was sitting on clearance in FSR’s was gone (before they pulled it).
Everyone wanted something Kobe related.

It was 100% his death.

Kobe stuff that was sitting on clearance in FSR’s was gone (before they pulled it).
Everyone wanted something Kobe related.
Oh I know. The post above mine said something like Nike wanting hype and that was the reason behind this “dog and pony show.” When that wasn’t necessarily the case.

Just saw that earnings were missed, and they are finding it difficult to clear inventory. Article also claims prices going to be hiked up next year.

Yet....fans of this line have been pleading with them to increase production.

Bootleggers have to ramp up production because they won't meet demand.

Customers trying to give them money and can't...then have to resort to bootlegs.

....At least the bootleggers seem to be moving product and probably meeting their earning expectations...LOL.

Last edited:
59145E02-2FC1-44A3-AA7A-EEA6FE238C3C.gif

Just saw that earnings were missed, and they are finding it difficult to clear inventory. Article also claims prices going to be hiked up next year.

Customers trying to give them money and can't...then have to resort to bootlegs.

....At least the bootleggers seem to be moving product and probably meeting their earning expectations...LOL.

for nike to be profitable company in this new world where everyone's so consumed by social media they need to simplify their product line. there is way too much going on. way too much product that sits that no one wants. they market *xxxx* product then sit there with a shocked pikachu face as to why their $50 budget shoes are not selling. how out of touch are these stupid marketing and production teams? seriously. i go to my outlet store and it's either 1. not outlet prices or 2. it's all garbage product from clothing (cheap cotton) to shoes (shoes that my dad wouldn't even wear). then on occasion you'll find a gem but it's either size 17 or size 7 because the employees bought up all the normal sizes for stockx reselling.

reps have become popular because people are fed up with paying 500% markup for a shoe that will either fall apart or they'll get bored of in a few months and want something new. 99% of their consumers aren't collectors but they'd like to still wear the shoes that their favourite celeb is wearing or, you know, the shoe that actually (hear me out please) looks good.

they'd make a lot of people happy, and they would make more money too, if they just did the following:
1. scrap SNKRS immediately. stop this exclusive crap. you just piss off your customers more than anything and these thoughts can easily be found across social media on drop days with "L" comments all over.
2. make shoes built to order for a period of time where demand can't be measured for a product launch (kobe's, travis scott's, other collabs that get hyped up within seconds) but don't actually limit stock. release shoes, give everyone time to place their orders and ship the shoes in 6-8 weeks or whatever it may be. this gives everyone an opportunity. imagine if apple only sold the iPhone on day 1 then never again? they wouldn't be a 3 trillion dollar company and iPhone's would be going for 10s of thousands of dollars. supply and demand. making things built to order also helps you manage your inventory so you're not creating waste. you save money on labour, save money on moving, selling extra stock, etc.

i don't think that nike will ever go bankrupt, however, i can see them having issues unless they change things up. they kind of remind me of blackberry prior to them going out of business. bunch of stubborn "important" and well paid individuals who think they have everything figured out but can't adapt with the current times. whatever strategies nike used 10 years ago can't be used today imo

Far from going broke. Just because they did not hit their targets in a few divisions, they are still making billions. If they start making limited shoes available to everyone, then they will sit the same as the gr stuff that is sitting now. They need the limited pairs to drive the hype and keep their products popular. It's not a bunch of old people asleep at the wheel. They don't care that 1000's of people can't get the shoe they want to buy. The fact everyone still wants them when they know they have little or no shot at winning them for retail is what nike want.

I feel like all companies are missing earnings because they got used 2020 earnings and demand. and started planning for that instead of using it as an outlier.

Also personally brands across the board are getting “greedy” with price hikes. I feel like we get a price hike on something every 1-2 months now.

Dunks are supposed to go to 120 after they jumped to 110 a few months ago.
1’s are 180 now.

Every other retro is like 200+ now.

Far from going broke. Just because they did not hit their targets in a few divisions, they are still making billions. If they start making limited shoes available to everyone, then they will sit the same as the gr stuff that is sitting now. They need the limited pairs to drive the hype and keep their products popular. It's not a bunch of old people asleep at the wheel. They don't care that 1000's of people can't get the shoe they want to buy. The fact everyone still wants them when they know they have little or no shot at winning them for retail is what nike want.

no they don't. there's plenty of businesses that are profiting and better run than nike that don't rely on limiting stock for certain products.

this is just stupid millenial talk that has put us in this position we're in now. having hyped up stuff benefits no one but resellers and these chinese factories. it doesn't even benefit nike the slightest and that is seen by r/repsneakers and r/kobereps.

If they don't care about people missing out why do they keep producing panda dunks?

Limiting certain shoes makes sense but with others they're leaving money on the table.

Looking at how the Ja 1s are being released and the fact that the Sabrina 1s haven't been released almost half through the WNBA season... someone is asleep or intentionally doing things that are objectively stupid.

I think every business could do things better. With Nike I feel like they're happy to just have us wanting all the time.

Like how do you feel as a consumer of Nike products? Always wanting something right? Never satisfied? Never feeling like you got what you needed, and on the hunt for something else?

They have to LOVE that ****. Instant sellouts. Their products being sold for 4x what they retail for (which is already way more than it cost them to manufacture).

So much so there's an entire message board dedicated to
  • Posting pictures of Nike products
  • Splitting up posts by model and by sub-brand
  • Posting videos of Nike products
  • Not only buying products but post pictures of their purchases, even posting pictures of the notifications they received after HUSTLING to even have a chance to purchase their products
I could go on for like 15 more bullet points including people on the message board analyzing every single molecule of shoes you create, from the first sign they're releasing and the first look, to speculating about release dates, talking about factory production, to the discussion of which places the product can be purchased, up to release day when people go wild and are excited to pay whatever you're charging for products and if they don't "get lucky" they get help from other people on the message board so they too can join the masses of people who are able to post that the "Got a pair!"

And it's now even to the point where a lot of the products are so "worth" something that you have those same users posting pictures of the shoe in a f*cking box, or posed on the floor by their box, or laying on top of other nike products like a jersey or an outfit. Consumers of your product literally taking themselves out of the pictures and making it 100% about the products because many of them value the shoes too much to actually let them touch their feet and the floor.

Nike's screwing up?? No, Nike has to be f*cking ecstatic.

I just wish they’d make performance models more attainable for those of us wanting them for sports. And if they wanna make lifestyle kicks ultra limited (collabs and stuff) that’s fine.

With Kobe’s they’re for performance but also for stuntin so they’re somewhat in between. Just wish they’d GR em at this point. They’d bank and make consumer happy. I understand the concept of always leaving us wanting more and striking out.

Those rumors that Kobe was unhappy with Nike and preparing to bolt sure do make a lot of sense given how this line has been handled since the tragedy.

The way Nike handles this line reminds me a lot of how EA handles Madden. Every year the bugs are supposed to be fixed. New features will revolutionize the game.

....and then come August, it's the same crap. Yet people keep buying the game.

Bots will be combated. Customer experiences will be improved. Things will be exciting. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....

IMO...Nike and EA deserve the bud light treatment.

Imagine if apple only sold the iPhone on day 1 then never again? they wouldn't be a 3 trillion dollar company and iPhone's would be going for 10s of thousands of dollars. supply and demand.

that’s different tho apple only has 3 or 4 iphone lines every year. (Regular, pro, pro max, etc). Nike has hundreds of bball shoe lines. Whatever sales you gain from kobes you lose out on other lines when most people only need to buy 1 pair of new shoes every year

I just wish they’d make performance models more attainable for those of us wanting them for sports. And if they wanna make lifestyle kicks ultra limited (collabs and stuff) that’s fine.

With Kobe’s they’re for performance but also for stuntin so they’re somewhat in between. Just wish they’d GR em at this point. They’d bank and make consumer happy. I understand the concept of always leaving us wanting more and striking out.

The separation of casual wear/performance is an issue imo. It's part of the reason new Jordan signature shoes don't matter the way it used to and why the newer shoes in general don't connect like they used too. Designs have gotten lazy and largely ignored because of "performance"

Back
Top Bottom