Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

Remember when we complained about $ 300 Adidas Rev 30 authentics? Nike Vaporknits at $ 270 at the Nets online store???? LOLOLOLOL!

Haven’t paid retail for a bike authentic yet. Need that Luka city authentic to restock

I feel bad for the Nike rep I ripped yesterday... But I hate all this shock drop crap and me missing out on the Luka city jersey. Hangar says they probably aren't going to receive any Luka from Nike but they have a lot of KP jerseys coming. Like it makes little to no sense at all. You have a man that is selling product but Nike has to make everything so damn exclusive these days.

I feel bad for the Nike rep I ripped yesterday... But I hate all this shock drop crap and me missing out on the Luka city jersey. Hangar says they probably aren't going to receive any Luka from Nike but they have a lot of KP jerseys coming. Like it makes little to no sense at all. You have a man that is selling product but Nike has to make everything so damn exclusive these days.

Nike drives me nuts at times. I’m going through the same issue with a Lebron city edition authentic. Like if it’s covid that’s legitimately causing delays, I could understand. But it seems like they’re trying to treat jerseys like sneakers and make this stuff hard to get.

The Luka city edition authentics sat for a while at the hangar this past summer even while being 50% off. Even on the website they were available for a while Same with the statement jerseys with the Nike logo on them they cleared out to make way for the statements with jumpman logo. It’s crazy though that they got tons of Porzingis stuff. Last time I went to the hangar on Black Friday they still had last years Porzingis city edition authentics

Now these current city editions are tough to find. I wouldn’t mind getting a Luka authentic myself. I’m sure they ultimately restock, but it shouldn’t be such a pain in the *** to find this stuff.

So basically it's like the Adidas rev30 days. Easy to find the first season's retail authentic jerseys (the Aeroswift ones in Nike's case), they're even available as customizable items, but that's the only stock that lasts through the years... The new ones ? They're rare, you have to ask each team store directly or go to the arena and the stocks are random, depending on the team. It's so complicated, it's like the ones you find weren't even planned to be sold as retail jerseys, as if they're selling a part of the team issue jerseys, they have to customize them at the team store because Nike doesn't do the job in its factory. It's hardly understandable.

I think Adidas and Nike's business models for the NBA seem to be pretty much the same after all...

So basically it's like the Adidas rev30 days. Easy to find the first season's retail authentic jerseys (the Aeroswift ones in Nike's case), they're even available as customizable items, but that's the only stock that lasts through the years... The new ones ? They're rare, you have to ask each team store directly or go to the arena and the stocks are random, depending on the team. It's so complicated, it's like the ones you find weren't even planned to be sold as retail jerseys, as if they're selling a part of the team issue jerseys, they have to customize them at the team store because Nike doesn't do the job in its factory. It's hardly understandable.

I think Adidas and Nike's business models for the NBA seem to be pretty much the same after all...

Its easily understandable. There is a third party that holds the licensing rights to customize all in arena jerseys. Nike has no control of that and neither did adidas.

in terms of availability at the retail level, there simply isnt enough demand for authentic jerseys to justify stores carrying them. Ive spoken to foot locker and other shoe and athletics retailers. Asked them if they will bring back authentic jerseys. The answer is always the same, they dont sell. And theyre not lying... i remember original run aeroswift jerseys being on clearance years after their release.

now i def have an issue with nike using the hype tactics they do with sb releases on city edition jerseys... but looking at the big picture if this helps create a demand for authentic jerseys maybe we’ll see them more readily available at retail in the near future

Thanks for clarfiying the third party licensing part of the matter, I wasn't aware of that. As for the demand, I agree. It was clear from the first day of nike's contract that they were counting on the swingman jerseys to sell. I don't mind, I buy swingman jerseys. But using authentics to promote the release of a new Jersey when you only sell swingman jerseys afterwards, and mostly in kid sizes for whatever reason, nearly seems like false advertising to me.:lol:

Thanks for clarfiying the third party licensing part of the matter, I wasn't aware of that. As for the demand, I agree. It was clear from the first day of nike's contract that they were counting on the swingman jerseys to sell. I don't mind, I buy swingman jerseys. But using authentics to promote the release of a new Jersey when you only sell swingman jerseys afterwards, and mostly in kid sizes for whatever reason, nearly seems like false advertising to me.:lol:

they arent using swingmans to promote authentics. If nike had their druthers im sure theyd prefer to be selling authentics (higher profit margins... i think)

simply supply and demand. We the hardcore collectors represent a small fraction of the consumers. The reality is that the majority dont give a damn about authenticity, they just want something that shows their support of their team

they arent using swingmans to promote authentics.

I was actually thinking about the other way around : most of the time they release new uniforms with pictures of close up details of the sewn wordmark and numbers, but that's a product you cannot actually buy since there are only swingman jerseys in the store when you click on the link.

I've been somewhat satisfied with the Nike reunion with authentic NBA jerseys so far. They got the fonts correct for the most part. They definitely got the stitching right with the kiss-cut as long as you get one that was manufactured in a Nike factory as opposed to a customized one that has the incorrect layered twill stitching.

It literally took me 20 years to realize the previous Nike authentic jerseys had the wrong stitching at least with the Lakers. The retail authentic Lakers jerseys from the 2000s had the incorrect layered stitching when it should have been kiss-cut just like how Mitchell & Ness replicated them correctly.

My suggestion would be either Nike or Fanatics should put a restriction on how many authentic jerseys can be bought from one address. The demand is obviously high and also so many reseller, including institutions and individuals, are trying to make profits off the jerseys, and usually they make the profits by volume with a 10% margin. As a result sometimes it could be a bubble for the resellers. I bought a Kobe authentic statement which sold out instantly last year at $160 cost this week. I personally believe people shouldn’t pay full retail price for a authentic jersey and save the money for game used items, say not-for-sale authentic shorts. Attached are pics from a Chinese institutional reseller.

Attachments

• E206788E-831C-4BAD-87AC-A68A69BADEFD.jpeg
    E206788E-831C-4BAD-87AC-A68A69BADEFD.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 25485162-798E-4557-B6C5-E11CD6DB4FFE.jpeg
    25485162-798E-4557-B6C5-E11CD6DB4FFE.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
By purchasing from resellers because they work really, really hard....

you should really work on that mission statement.
Sorry for miscommunication. I hate resellers myself, I tried and couldn’t find my size every time. That’s why I think they work hard.

My suggestion would be either Nike or Fanatics should put a restriction on how many authentic jerseys can be bought from one address. The demand is obviously high and also so many reseller, including institutions and individuals, are trying to make profits off the jerseys, and usually they make the profits by volume with a 10% margin. As a result sometimes it could be a bubble for the resellers. I bought a Kobe authentic statement which sold out instantly last year at $160 cost this week. I personally believe people shouldn’t pay full retail price for a authentic jersey and save the money for game used items, say not-for-sale authentic shorts. Attached are pics from a Chinese institutional reseller.
That’s just ridiculous

totally agree on a quantity limit.

Back
Top Bottom