Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

Are the authentic jerseys worth getting ?
I’ve purchased swingmans for the past 15 years or so. Prior to that, only authentics, but having a family and all that, I decided to be fiscally responsible.

With that being said, I picked up a Tatum authentic since I had money laying around in my PayPal account, and honestly, given how bad swingmans are nowadays, just save up and get the authentic. Heck, I’d even make the argument that if you’re gonna go the swingman route, just save yourself some money and buy the Fanatics jerseys on discount. There really isn’t much difference in quality, which speaks to how bad the swingmans are nowadays. Fanatics and the swingmans are both heat pressed.

Also, here’s some pics of my Kyrie and Kemba swingmans. The glue Nike is using….. ugh.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I prefer the fit of an authentic as well, especially since it’s not cut like a dress like the Adidas Rev30s. Swingman is like wearing a sandwich board or one of those cheapy Halloween costumes that were just a smock and plastic mask back in the day.
I grab them if it’s my only option to add to the collection like the Bucks classic from last year or the earned edition from a couple years ago.

I’ve purchased swingmans for the past 15 years or so. Prior to that, only authentics, but having a family and all that, I decided to be fiscally responsible.

With that being said, I picked up a Tatum authentic since I had money laying around in my PayPal account, and honestly, given how bad swingmans are nowadays, just save up and get the authentic. Heck, I’d even make the argument that if you’re gonna go the swingman route, just save yourself some money and buy the Fanatics jerseys on discount. There really isn’t much difference in quality, which speaks to how bad the swingmans are nowadays. Fanatics and the swingmans are both heat pressed.

Agree with everything you said, except I wouldn't personally buy the Fanatics jerseys because the shapes are just way off. Maybe it's good enough for a small child who doesn't know the difference and they'll grow out of it soon anyway, but for collection purposes the shape disgusts me.

Agree with everything you said, except I wouldn't personally buy the Fanatics jerseys because the shapes are just way off. Maybe it's good enough for a small child who doesn't know the difference and they'll grow out of it soon anyway, but for collection purposes the shape disgusts me.
Shape of the jersey doesn’t mean much to me if the numbers on the back look like they’ve been pissed on, which is what has happened to 2 of my swingmans. Thankfully it’s only happened to 2 jerseys which I don’t care about anymore, but now I’m pulling out my Tatum and Brown jerseys out of the closet once a week to see if they’re starting to yellow like that. So far so good, but still, I shouldn’t have to worry about that sort of thing for the price I paid vs what a Fanatics jersey would have cost.

Who decides whether a jersey is also sold as authentic?
Nike? Clubs? Fanatics?

Waiting for Knicks and Orlando City Edition...

Who decides whether a jersey is also sold as authentic?
Nike? Clubs? Fanatics?

Waiting for Knicks and Orlando City Edition...

I don't think they do city jersey authentics unless they've changed this year. The last couple years I've not seen an authentic city edtion except blanks and team issues. May have to settle for a swingman or team issued if you can find one...

I don't think they do city jersey authentics unless they've changed this year. The last couple years I've not seen an authentic city edtion except blanks and team issues. May have to settle for a swingman or team issued if you can find one...
They’re plenty of city edition authentics released every year. I have a Lebron one from this season and I just sent the Tatum one back. They’re all over fanatics, DSG, JustSports, NBA Store. Some teams don’t release them to chain stores like that and prefer to sell them out of their team shop.

You may be thinking of the hardwood classic throwback jerseys.

EDIT - if you meant those teams, the Knicks did on their team store last year. Orlando may or may not. It was worded/read as in general on city jerseys. My bad if it was just those two teams you meant.

Back
Top Bottom