Nike x OFF-WHITE Collection Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

I think it’s gonna be kaws x clot x mars yard crazy. All sorts of the worst behavior is gonna come out.
Twas expected. I'll probably just miss out on these. I definitely don't find them to be as attractive as most people.

I don't understand this move for Nike. You build all this hype and then make the shoes available through a selective draw? Yeah the Nike x Off White shoes will be highly sought after but the regular Nike silhouettes still won't be. It helps Virgil much more than Nike in this situation.

how i feel about this

how i feel about this
It still baffles me that people don't understand hype=good for any brand. I get that it pisses you off that you most likely can't get them but that's life. If you step back and look it, you'll see how it makes sense for Nike. Look at Yeezy/Adidas. They are super limited and Adidas isn't making a ton off of the brand bc they arent making a ton of them but anyone can see that they hype from that line has translated to other areas of the brand.

It still baffles me that people don't understand hype=good for any brand. I get that it pisses you off that you most likely can't get them but that's life. If you step back and look it, you'll see how it makes sense for Nike. Look at Yeezy/Adidas. They are super limited and Adidas isn't making a ton off of the brand bc they arent making a ton of them but anyone can see that they hype from that line has translated to other areas of the brand.

Limited sneakers are free advertising for sneaker brands if they get popular. Adults pay attention to what brands sneaker heads wear or what their family or sons recommend for them to buy. I know this doesnt apply to all but this still leads to increased sales. Look what years of hype has done nike/jordan alot of people wanted to wear jays just to be accepted look cool. All the shoe had to say was jordan and they would pay extra for it.

what is this guy talking about? hype without sales is nothing for a company. nike having hype for this drop wont help them move units on other models cause no one cares about them. also, your example for yeezy/adidas is off. yeezys are not limited anymore. adidas has been producing crazy amounts to the point where a good amount of people have bought them for retail.

its no wonder why people nike been falling off the past 2 years.

The point he's trying to make is that yes they won't translate immediately into sales for the gr models, but the hype gets the name of the company in people's mouths and gets people talking about them. People talking about them = Brand recognition = people buying the familiar brand when they go shopping for sports apparel.

Sometimes businesses will make a hyped model limited in hopes for the gr model of that shoe to sell out, and sometimes they do it to get people to talk about their company. This situation is likely the latter

Trust me. This is really good for nike. Whether normal guys like us can get the shoes are besides the point. They have the massess wanting it. And the Nike brand is buzzing again. They havent had more hype than adidas in a long time. And this off white is about as crazy is anything adidas has released all year.

Vapormax also was a good look for nike and that was GR status. the Vaporfly also was a good shoe, slightly more limited and better innovation. But Off White takes the cake.

And i get the feeling Nike only looks out for its friends and family, creatives, and those social media "influencers" and lastly important clients in situations like this. That group of people is what keeps the brand fresh and trending.

Like someone said eariler, Nike doesnt care.

Mercer is a zoo every release. resellers get multiple fsr and they dont care.

what is this guy talking about? hype without sales is nothing for a company. nike having hype for this drop wont help them move units on other models cause no one cares about them. also, your example for yeezy/adidas is off. yeezys are not limited anymore. adidas has been producing crazy amounts to the point where a good amount of people have bought them for retail.

its no wonder why people nike been falling off the past 2 years.
It's obvious you have no concept of marketing so it's pointless to continue this conversation. Saying hype without sales means nothing is just ignorant on the subject.

As for Yeezys, they've been making 100k of the last few but all of the V1's were super limited. Are you going to argue that they didn't raise the brand prestige overall? Are you naive enough to think the UB line didn't greatly benefit from the Yeezy hype?

Bottom line, companies from Nintendo to Nike to Adidas have been doing small batch to build hype for their brand for decades now. The fact that you think you grasp marketing better than people heading up the marketing departments for multi billion dollar companies is amusing though.

It's obvious you have no concept of marketing so it's pointless to continue this conversation. Saying hype without sales means nothing is just ignorant on the subject.

As for Yeezys, they've been making 100k of the last few but all of the V1's were super limited. Are you going to argue that they didn't raise the brand prestige overall? Are you naive enough to think the UB line didn't greatly benefit from the Yeezy hype?

Bottom line, companies from Nintendo to Nike to Adidas have been doing small batch to build hype for their brand for decades now. The fact that you think you grasp marketing better than people heading up the marketing departments for multi billion dollar companies is amusing though.

Damn, I really just met the most ignorant person on this forum. Nike's collab with off White isn't going to transition into higher sales on any of their models. You keep comparing Kanye/adidas with Nike but these are two completely different situations and Nike is in a different position than adidas.
Do you really think Nike just wants hype? Are you really that ignorant to marketing? Responding to you any further is pointless. Don't quote me again until you know something about marketing.

The point he's trying to make is that yes they won't translate immediately into sales for the gr models, but the hype gets the name of the company in people's mouths and gets people talking about them. People talking about them = Brand recognition = people buying the familiar brand when they go shopping for sports apparel.

Sometimes businesses will make a hyped model limited in hopes for the gr model of that shoe to sell out, and sometimes they do it to get people to talk about their company. This situation is likely the latter

and this is where you're wrong. Everyone knows what Nike is. Everyone's been talking about Nike. Do you really think Nike needs brand recognition in this age with the youth? Seriously? Ask yourself that.

Damn, I really just met the most ignorant person on this forum. Nike's collab with off White isn't going to transition into higher sales on any of their models. You keep comparing Kanye/adidas with Nike but these are two completely different situations and Nike is in a different position than adidas.
Do you really think Nike just wants hype? Are you really that ignorant to marketing? Responding to you any further is pointless. Don't quote me again until you know something about marketing.
If we are wrong teach us instead of acting high and mighty im willing to admit if im wrong so why exactly do you think this collab not good and to me hype leads to increased sales. What am I missing here ?

kobelol.gif

The hype talk again...it's not like it's the same nonsense being said in EVERY OTHER NIKE THREAD :lol:

Last edited:
Yes, I think Nike just wants hype on this release. They've done this countless times over the last few decades. See Kaws as a recent example. See the Undefeated AJ4 as an example. Nike was in the same position then as they are now and they still made those collabs to build hype for the brand. When the brand loses hype, it gets stail. Nike has been pumping out a million of every shoe the last couple years while Adidas has been doing small batch after small batch. Guess which brand has all the hype right now? It's not rocket science.

lol that you still think you know more about marketing than the head of marketing for countless brands. Have you ever heard of the term "loss leader"? Look it up and your mind will be blown.

and this is where you're wrong. Everyone knows what Nike is. Everyone's been talking about Nike. Do you really think Nike needs brand recognition in this age with the youth? Seriously? Ask yourself that.
Then why do you see Coca Cola advertising everywhere if they are arguably a household name everywhere in the world? It's because if these companies don't constantly re up on brand recognition then other companies will become that household name. Take a high school level course in economics and they'll teach you that.

^ damn son. you really comparing coca cola to nike now. yall dont deserve my wisdom.

^ damn son. you really comparing coca cola to nike now. yall dont deserve my wisdom.
How are they different? They are both the market leaders by a wide margin in their respective categories. Both are also the largest spenders in advertising in their categories in order to stay on top.

So are you saying that Coca Cola is bigger than Nike or that Nike is bigger than Coca Cola?

Coca Cola was worth $213 billion in 2016 (https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/06/how-much-is-the-coca-cola-company-worth.aspx)

Nike was worth $94 billion in 2016 (https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/09/how-much-is-nike-really-worth.aspx)

So you're right, one company is way larger and can't be compared. But if we are doing comparisons the company that is bigger and worth more is still advertising because they want to keep up brand recognition, so tell me why Nike shouldn't do the same.

Was able to get thru for the extra credit event !
Wondering if one has to choose out of the 3 or one can purchase all 3 ... ?

Back
Top Bottom