Nike Zoom Kobe V PROTRO - Dec 2019

I said it once before ... for once, I actually prefer these to the OGs. The shape looks better, if anything. I also pretty much prefer the other tiny little changes they made; overall I just think the shoe looks better, but either way it's all super minor. You are totally correct, though, with your retro Jordan analogy. But usually the changes Jordan makes are for the worse, almost exclusively :lol:
Also, perhaps for me, anyway, the entire concept of "Protro" from the jump has been to upgrade/improve/change the shoes. I realize a lot of people don't find some of them--IVs in particular--to be an upgrade, or like all of the changes, but my point is, we knew/know right out of the gate we aren't going to get an exact retro of the OGs by Nike's very definition of "Protro." I dunno, I guess as a result I just find that I accept it way more willingly with the Kobes because my expectations were set appropriately from the outset. We get pissed off at Jordan for feeding us BS stories about "remastered" and "OG form" yet still often delivering a retro that is obviously off from the OGs. The Chaos V is way closer to the OG pair than, for example, the black/red 11 retro ...
Nike, do you have room for this guy in your company? :lol:

Difference between a Jordan Retro and Kobe Protro is that the Jordan’s aren’t being marketed as performance model...Kind of smooths over the changes if they’re in the vein of improving the shoe to be used for its intended purpose...

Jordan Brand doesn’t approach their releases from a performance POV obviously, rather a straight nostalgia perspective...When the whole push is remember these ~ buy these same shoes that you loved from your childhood, people are going to get pissy when they aren’t 100% faithful to the OG’s...

That’s why the Kobe stuff gets far too little credit for what they’re trying to do...They take that nostalgia and flat out say they’re going to at least try and update it to be usable as a basketball shoe...Not only useable actually, but top line...

Imagine how people would react if JB came out and said they were releasing a Protro 6...Keeping the shoe true to the original with updated material and tech...A modern performance beast that looks extremely close to the OG save for a few minor tweaks...That’s nuts right...People would be far less critical of a minor differences in this circumstance...This is exactly what the Kobe line has been doing and look at the amount of players wearing the shoes...See any overt hate for the drops? Not really...People got over the full length zoom on the 4’s pretty quick, and the removal of the heel zoom in the 5’s seems to almost be an improvement at this point...

on foot they seem, to be perfect shape

its kind of odd, when you see all the pictures on foot they look OG

when they aren't, they look a little different

They do look more accurate in shape on foot but when you look at them side by side you can see that the og’s are bit more narrow and sleek. And yea the reptile upper was much more defined on the og which I like better. Overall they did a nice job I just wanted them as close to the og as possible. The upper does feel slightly firmer so maybe it won’t tear as easy but that could also be be that mine are softer from wearing them for 10 years. And of course there is always that nostalgia factor that the og’s are what Kobe wore when playing.

Man i decided f it I’m paying resell tomorrow now just scavenging for the best price for 10.5, pray for me and lemme know if y’all see some, can’t believe it came to this for some Chaos

update: Just saw what these going for... I’m all set ima be patient

Last edited:
Difference between a Jordan Retro and Kobe Protro is that the Jordan’s aren’t being marketed as performance model...Kind of smooths over the changes if they’re in the vein of improving the shoe to be used for its intended purpose...

Jordan Brand doesn’t approach their releases from a performance POV obviously, rather a straight nostalgia perspective...When the whole push is remember these ~ buy these same shoes that you loved from your childhood, people are going to get pissy when they aren’t 100% faithful to the OG’s...

That’s why the Kobe stuff gets far too little credit for what they’re trying to do...They take that nostalgia and flat out say they’re going to at least try and update it to be usable as a basketball shoe...Not only useable actually, but top line...

Imagine how people would react if JB came out and said they were releasing a Protro 6...Keeping the shoe true to the original with updated material and tech...A modern performance beast that looks extremely close to the OG save for a few minor tweaks...That’s nuts right...People would be far less critical of a minor differences in this circumstance...This is exactly what the Kobe line has been doing and look at the amount of players wearing the shoes...See any overt hate for the drops? Not really...People got over the full length zoom on the 4’s pretty quick, and the removal of the heel zoom in the 5’s seems to almost be an improvement at this point...

creating a modern jordan 6 performance shoe would be remarkable..
creating a modern kobe 6.. just drop it again

the design is what stands the test of time. this "protro" stuff, while nice, is very very minimal in innovation and is hardly any different

IMG_1334(1).jpg

Today was a Great Day After a pretty ****ty few weeks... Feels good to win one..

You guys scared me, these seem to fit TTS for me, phew. Gonna ball in them tonight, I’m excited
Unless someone provides a reference point by comparing the sizing for the shoe in question with another shoe(s) that you own, don't just go off what everyone is saying. Lengthwise these are TTS, the toe box is a tad narrow which is why everyone is sizing up. Personally, I want minimal dead space in front of my toes when wearing casually and only a small amount when wearing for ball so I went TTS just like the OGs and they fit just fine. I'm a taller dude with bigger feet (11.5) and I don't like the look of disproportionately long shoes on someone, which is why I always try to get the smallest size possible--just before the point of being uncomfortable.

So just to check opinion: is the Protro V is same length but narrower than same size in the OG V?

Are those that had OGs for balling buying the same size in Protro?

Without hooping in them yet, I would say they do fit a little narrower than the OG but I also haven't worn OGs for a while. I do have some beater Del Sol Vs in my trunk that I can use as comparison but I always felt like my Del Sol pair fit differently (longer) than my DKs, Chaos, 5 Rings and Inlines.

And yes, I bought the Protros in my OG size for balling. I got mine in store so I was able to try on my TTS (11.5) and half size up and half size down as well.

Half size up felt better in the toe box since it's a little wider than my TTS and the extra length didn't feel significant. I hate lots of dead space in front of my toes but the extra space wasn't bothersome.

Half size down was too short, I only had maybe a quarter inch extra space and my toes would've hit the front on hard cuts/stops.

I went with my TTS with the hope that the toe box loosens/stretches a little bit but I did notice the narrowness of the toe box right away when I tried on my TTS.

Last edited:
Love seeing shoes that beat. Mustve broken in so nice and formed to his feet perfectly. Foam probably bottomed out, but still, just wearing something that consistent over and over you know what to expect

I half sized up and they fit just they way i want em too. It all just depends on how you like your fit.

Like people have mentioned, for a 1 to 1 fit go TTS. If you like a little wiggle room, half size up.

Really can't go wrong either or.

2ks really are murder and i can only see the prices on them possibly just going up

esp if these next 8 shoes to release from 2k and nike are trash..

i feel like the hype would of been higher had the OG Chaos not release around same time

Back
Top Bottom