Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

There are exclusives, prototypes, signatures, and then there's Michael Johnson with the all-time greatest shoe flex — Olympics or otherwise:

michael-johnson.jpg

"I didn't want to be standing there in gold-plated shoes with a silver medal around my neck." — Michael Johnson

Cross posted with some other running threads

Ive been looking for some running tips. Maybe something I can focus on for each run to build them up slowly. As of now I’m just trying to really pull it back and make my relaxed runs truly relaxed.

I’ve ran on and off for years. Couple of marathons and half’s. Recently a 5k in about 20 mins. Have a half in January and just really want to get more efficient and actually train smart.

Usually I just go out and run. No real thinking behind it, just go out and get some miles in. Some long runs (10ish miles) mixed in but I’ve been focusing on slowing down during those true relaxed/recovery runs.

Ive never been through a true plan or had any tips given. Literally just run and I’ve tried to get my cadence around 180 but usually just stagnant around 165-175. Probably will use the Nike run app for their half marathon program to mix in some distance/speed/tempo etc work but I’m mainly looking for form/techniques/etc tips I can apply slowly into each run

thanks NT, y’all are some running monsters btw. Keeps the motivation up.

Ive been looking for some running tips. Maybe something I can focus on for each run to build them up slowly. As of now I’m just trying to really pull it back and make my relaxed runs truly relaxed.

I’ve ran on and off for years. Couple of marathons and half’s. Recently a 5k in about 20 mins. Have a half in January and just really want to get more efficient and actually train smart.

Usually I just go out and run. No real thinking behind it, just go out and get some miles in. Some long runs (10ish miles) mixed in but I’ve been focusing on slowing down during those true relaxed/recovery runs.

Ive never been through a true plan or had any tips given. Literally just run and I’ve tried to get my cadence around 180 but usually just stagnant around 165-175. Probably will use the Nike run app for their half marathon program to mix in some distance/speed/tempo etc work but I’m mainly looking for form/techniques/etc tips I can apply slowly into each run

Hi sole I honestly wouldn’t worry about cadence too much at all especially on easy slow runs, it’ll come with time, 165 - 175 sounds about right but don’t change up your form too much or too quickly as that’s a recipe for disaster. check out some of the pros on Strava, a lot of their easy runs are sub 160 cadence (jim walmsley, Scott fauble)

I think sage canaday and Shane benzie have really helped me the most with my form their cues are just easier to follow so I’d check them out, sage has pretty good YouTube channel with a playlist for running form (linked below)

Best advice I got on running form is to video yourself or get someone else to do it, yeah it sounds stupid but that’s the only way to see what it looks like and what you can improve on, then just improve bits at a time

Some advice on training plans, find one you’re going to enjoy and stick with it

Good luck with the training!

Last edited:

Your cadence is 165-175 and you did a 5K in 20 minutes?!

52B710C1-8D31-4650-8CA2-1A81ED77F168.gif

I’m no mathematician or statistician but are you really tall with a huge stride? Or maybe I’m just that slow and that short haha.

Seriously though, I hope you find the knowledge you seek and see those gains!

Your cadence is 165-175 and you did a 5K in 20 minutes?!

52B710C1-8D31-4650-8CA2-1A81ED77F168.gif

I’m no mathematician or statistician but are you really tall with a huge stride? Or maybe I’m just that slow and that short haha.

Seriously though, I hope you find the knowledge you seek and see those gains!
Not sure how accurate my cadence and HR are as all I use is an Apple Watch. That particular run my cadence was probably higher then the average since I was pushing it.

I’m short as well, about 5’6”

There are exclusives, prototypes, signatures, and then there's Michael Johnson with the all-time greatest shoe flex — Olympics or otherwise:

michael-johnson.jpg

"I didn't want to be standing there in gold-plated shoes with a silver medal around my neck." — Michael Johnson
Remember him flexin the am 96 :nthat:

Any of you guys have any experience with New Balance Fuelcell Rebel V2?
It's a fun and bouncy lightweight daily trainer. Same Fuelcell compound as the RC Elite v2. I use it for easy up to moderate effort runs and really enjoy it. It's not the most stable shoe, but it's not a max cushion shoe, which mitigates some of the instability.

It's a fun and bouncy lightweight daily trainer. Same Fuelcell compound as the RC Elite v2. I use it for easy up to moderate effort runs and really enjoy it. It's not the most stable shoe, but it's not a max cushion shoe, which mitigates some of the instability.
Right now Im using the Invincible and Turbos for easy/moderate run days ....are these comparable?

Anyone know of a good place to pick up a pair for a good price?

Right now Im using the Invincible and Turbos for easy/moderate run days ....are these comparable?

Anyone know of a good place to pick up a pair for a good price?
I have those shoes too, though I haven't run in Turbos in over a year. For pure easy days, I still prefer the Invincible because it's even more bouncy and cush than the Rebel. But its easier to pick up the pace in the Rebel and the weight savings is very noticeable. To me the Turbo is probably a "faster" shoe than the Rebel, but I never took to it (I'm not fast) and the Rebel is better cushioned. In other words, the Rebel probably slots in nicely between those 2 shoes.

Women’s Olympic marathon, mostly VF2, not many AlphaFlys. Curious to see what the choices are in the men’s race

I have those shoes too, though I haven't run in Turbos in over a year. For pure easy days, I still prefer the Invincible because it's even more bouncy and cush than the Rebel. But its easier to pick up the pace in the Rebel and the weight savings is very noticeable. To me the Turbo is probably a "faster" shoe than the Rebel, but I never took to it (I'm not fast) and the Rebel is better cushioned. In other words, the Rebel probably slots in nicely between those 2 shoes.
Awesome thanks I appreciate….going to hunt them down and give them a spin….

Tempos in the wild

Tried some light trails today and this pair held up pretty well as long as it's dry, i guess. But there's still this fear of rolling my ankles from some technical terrains 😳

Attachments

• 20210807_140202.jpg
    20210807_140202.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 119
Back
Top Bottom