NikeTalk school me on career schools vol. good choice or a regret?

Mokorider

formerly nosepiker
So I've been attending community college for the past two years and I'm no where near halfway through in getting out of there. If it matters I was aiming for forensics and I only completed the general ed classes to start off the core classes. I ended the spring semester and decided to not attend the summer with the amount of classes being cut and spaces filling up. Current dilemma I'm facing now is that I'm stuck working full-time in order to support some household and my own expenses and only taking 2-3 classes tops, I feel like it isn't taking me anywhere.

I recently started looking into the career schools to begin working into something better than where I'm currently at but, after searching the expense to attend this schools is pretty high compared to community college. I'm aware that they don't start you off at a job nor do they find you one, but having some experience in something is better than nothing, am I right?

So far I've looked into Wyotech for Automotive Technology (since I see cars more of an interest), but $25k would consist of loans and not including the interest..

Anyone care to chime in with mature personal experiences or opinions?

It all depends on why it has taken you 2 years to get halfway done. If it has been due to work circumstances, then it's a pretty good option that will work around your schedule. Most CC's now offer online classes so you can participate in the discussions when you're not working and you can attend almost any CC in your state and get the same credits. You can also use that time that you're finishing your degree at the CC to save up the money necessary to prevent yourself from needing to take out loans.

...wow. props for being honest, but prepare for an abundance of smart %#! comments from snobby NTers about your CC struggles.

...IF you're good with computers, look into getting certified in Network, Security, and/or Servers. sometimes you can luck out on a computer position off certifications alone.

....HVAC is a good school. Culinary too but its costs a grip. 

...you say you like cars, but would you mind working on them for a living? big difference.

You can always pick up a trade. I was at a CC for quite some time and I wasnt getting anywhere so I just decided to join an apprenticeship. i.e. electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. Its either that or the military unless anyone else can think of other options.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

It all depends on why it has taken you 2 years to get halfway done. If it has been due to work circumstances, then it's a pretty good option that will work around your schedule. Most CC's now offer online classes so you can participate in the discussions when you're not working and you can attend almost any CC in your state and get the same credits. You can also use that time that you're finishing your degree at the CC to save up the money necessary to prevent yourself from needing to take out loans.
Work has been the reason why it's been taking me this long to get halfway, it sucks when you have to do things on your own. I don't have parents that can help support me financially so it sucks.
I was thinking about online courses since a co-worker was advising me to do so also, but I feel like it isn't the same as an actual lecture from a teacher where they can get into depth in the subjects.
Honestly thank you for the advise in using CC to save up. The loans is what's stopping me from taking the opportunity, so I will definitely keep it in mind.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

...wow. props for being honest, but prepare for an abundance of smart %#! comments from snobby NTers about your CC struggles.

...IF you're good with computers, look into getting certified in Network, Security, and/or Servers. sometimes you can luck out on a computer position off certifications alone.

....HVAC is a good school. Culinary too but its costs a grip. 

...you say you like cars, but would you mind working on them for a living? big difference.

Yeah, I know what I'm in store with some remarks lol but, I mean why %%*@%%@+ the situation I'm in, it is what it is and I just want to find a way to improvise myself.
wink.gif

I wouldn't say I'm good with computers but would definitely not mind networking, thanks for the heads up *thumbs up* and the guy over at Wyotech asked me the same question if I would mind working on cars for a living? I don't mind it at all, but the only things that make me rethink it, is the pay and chances of finding a good opportunity at a dealer and such, is pretty low. Now, then again it all comes down to self dedication in moving forward and finding the opportunities.

Originally Posted by nosepiker

Work has been the reason why it's been taking me this long to get halfway, it sucks when you have to do things on your own. I don't have parents that can help support me financially so it sucks.
I was thinking about online courses since a co-worker was advising me to do so also, but I feel like it isn't the same as an actual lecture from a teacher where they can get into depth in the subjects.
Honestly thank you for the advise in using CC to save up. The loans is what's stopping me from taking the opportunity, so I will definitely keep it in mind.
It sounds harsh, but the lack of financial support is probably actually a blessing. After reading "Millionaire Next Door" and finding out that most upper income parents support their kids throughout their life, you come to understand why many of them are underachievers who can't handle finances & life.

Seriously... props on being motivated to go to school and see your goal through. That toughness and perseverance will pay off big time in the long run.

I've taken the online route for some classes and understand the concerns. However, if there are still "throwaway" classes you need to take, it's a great route.

Before paying up for a career college, is there a local CC that offers something similar that you can use to try it out for less money? I started out going to a CC hoping to eventually become a pilot but found out after taking some business courses that that was what I really enjoyed and could see myself doing (plus I'm too tall to be a pilot).

You should also look into getting the book "Debt Free U" for some ideas on scholarships and ways to make some money on the side for school.

Originally Posted by nosepiker

It sounds harsh, but the lack of financial support is probably actually a blessing. After reading "Millionaire Next Door" and finding out that most upper income parents support their kids throughout their life, you come to understand why many of them are underachievers who can't handle finances & life.

Seriously... props on being motivated to go to school and see your goal through. That toughness and perseverance will pay off big time in the long run.

I've taken the online route for some classes and understand the concerns. However, if there are still "throwaway" classes you need to take, it's a great route.

Before paying up for a career college, is there a local CC that offers something similar that you can use to try it out for less money? I started out going to a CC hoping to eventually become a pilot but found out after taking some business courses that that was what I really enjoyed and could see myself doing (plus I'm too tall to be a pilot).

You should also look into getting the book "Debt Free U" for some ideas on scholarships and ways to make some money on the side for school.
I can actually see that perception why it is a blessing, makes sense.
ohwell.gif

Thanks, I just think that I can do a lot better than where I'm at and I'm too young to settle down for a job instead of a career.

As for online courses, I'm definitely gonna look into meeting with a counselor and look at an education plan.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure the CC I was attending does have a course or two that has to do with automotive tech, and the only upside I DO see with CC compared to career college is the amount of variety of subjects that you can get a taste of. Just as how you discovered business.

Thanks a lot for your help man, really appreciate it. I'll definitely look into "Debt Free U".
pimp.gif

Find what your good at, and go to a Real Accredited Academic University. (career college isn't bad... but it really narrows you down one path vs many paths with academic school) No CC bs, no Online bs, no non-accredited bs.

Since you have some of the core classes out of the way you already have a big stepping stone if you do decide to transfer to an academic university. If you're going to make the investment and put yourself in debt, might as well make it a worthwhile so you can recoup your money back + some.

Back
Top Bottom