Nissan will stop making the Skyline GTR... Updated: false alarm.

It looks like Nissan will be dumb enough to shut done development and production of their famous affordable sports car.

The Nissan GT-R has been the last word in Japanese performance cars for ages. The latest generation car, the R35, is a world-beater.

This is a car that just does things it shouldn't be able to. It's faster than cars that cost three times as much and weigh more. Simply put, it's a marvel.

But today, rumors have started swirling that the next generation GT-R is yet to be approved by CEO Carlos Ghosn and may not enter production. This is a bad thing.

But is Nissan stupid enough to kill off the GT-R? I sure hope not.

The car has earned a loyal and devoted following across the globe. And in a lineup that is dominated by exceedingly boring cars, other than the Z, the GT-R shows that Nissan can build a truly amazing, world-beating product. It makes you forget that the Murano Cross Cabriolet exists.

What do you think? Will Nissan end up approving a GT-R or are they going to let Godzilla ride off into the sunset?

via jalopnik.com.
Full article: http://jalopnik.com/5929617/is-nissan-stupid-enough-to-kill-the-gt+r

Last edited:
They can't kill a legend. But 
mean.gif
 if they do 

Good. That thing was atrocious.  
laugh.gif

Not mad at the ambition but at least get a new design...

Last edited:
They better not it's already hard to find a 90s GT-R now they want to discontinue the current and future lines.

Good. That thing was atrocious.  :lol:

Not mad at the ambition but at least get a new design...

UNfortunately this is exactly what they won't due. This car was amazing, not because it looked too good, although I think it had a very good and unique character, but it's performance was just insane, the performance the engine could bring to the table is monumental. In addition it had a pretty good line of technology to back it's power. And all this for like 100 000 euros.

Apparently the have sold less than 6,000 GTRs in the past 4 years so I can understand where they are coming from. I am not sure how much they make for each model but to sell such a low volume must mean low profit for them and considering the money put in investing in R&D of the GTR, I could imagine it's development being stopped.

It's still crazy that the GTR started at less than $70k at launch to close to $100k today. It's still a bargain and I wish the rumor isn't true at all. They should also capitalize and make an Infiniti version.

Problem definitely centers around the price increase. That it started in the 70's and now goes for 100's, is absurd. Nissan played dumb on this one. The target market will not spend this kind of money. They should've kept the GT-R an EVO/STi rival. Too big, too expensive, and too few sold as a result.

Apparently the have sold less than 6,000 GTRs in the past 4 years so I can understand where they are coming from. I am not sure how much they make for each model but to sell such a low volume must mean low profit for them and considering the money put in investing in R&D of the GTR, I could imagine it's development being stopped.
It's still crazy that the GTR started at less than $70k at launch to close to $100k today. It's still a bargain and I wish the rumor isn't true at all. They should also capitalize and make an Infiniti version.

Nah man. That would put a dent in the GTR's hard-long lived history.

Pretty much... Ghosn shutting this down wouldn't surprise me
Hope it doesnt happen tho

Nah man. That would put a dent in the GTR's hard-long lived history.

I don't think so, I mean they can change it enough by adding luxury items and keep the GTR a pure race-enthusiast sports car. At the same time Nissan can make a few more bucks charging a premium on the Infiniti version, it can be a GT instead of a pure-bred sports car too, just something to put up against the R8 and the upcoming i8.

I mean this is already at a risk of being discontinued, if they extend it's life by making an Infiniti version, then I say F' history. It stands on it's own and I don't see a more luxury version with a different name and different purpose will hurt it one bit.

Last edited:

yeah, they probably didn't make much on the car, if they even booked profits. But still it was kind of like a flagship model for them. I think it would be a bad idea to discontinue it.
Look at the Veyron, they Bugatti doesn't really make any profits, it just helps build the heritage.

Yah but Nissan is about making money and they had to convince Gohn that the GTR will make money to get a green light forit to be produced, he wasn't so thrilled about it in the first place. So if he is seeing no profit now, the next gen GTR will likely cost more and will sell less. Nissan can't afford or won't allow to continue produce cars that will make them no money, their biggest sellers like the Altima and Maxima has almost nothing to do with the GTR. People who buys those considers the Camry and Accord as an alternative and Nissan having the GTR in their line-up will not sway the decision for those people to make a Nissan purchase.

I understand it's their flagship model but again a flagship model that is adored but rarely purchased is not a good thing for profits sake and in the very competitive market Nissan is in, they really just can't afford to lose much money there. Bugatti on the other hand sells $1mil+ cars which could compete with Pagani and ??? Well that is pretty much it.

Back
Top Bottom