No Country for Old Men...... SOMEONE EXPLAIN......

The end sneaks up on a lot of people. The best advice that I can give is to watch the beginning again.

I think the last scene is brilliant. When he says, "Then I woke up", we wake up from this mini-daydream and we're floored by howwe were manipulated. Then we say "oh no, this is where the movie's going to end isn't it?" Then the credits roll and you're dumbfoundedby what just happened. Not satisfying, and disappointing, but it's supposed to be. We're supposed to pity Tommy Lee Jones by the end of the movie, andbe disappointed in him for not doing what pretty much any sheriff in any conventional movie would've done, gone and caught the bad guy. I think people wereoff-put by Tommy Lee Jones giving up instead of saving the day, because he usually plays the strong-willed heroic type.

Hence, the ending reflects the message of the movie: there is no place for the old generation's (Jones') morality: the increasingly violent nature ofthe crimes that Jones witnesses makes him increasingly apathetic about the state of the world, and he essentially gives up by retiring. He's been foreverchanged by the nature of the things he's seen and it so conflicts with his heritage (at the beginning: "in the old times, sheriffs never used to evenwear guns") that he no longer feels compelled to be a lawmaker. His general confidence in the future of the world has been extinguished. There is noresolution to this problem, thus the ending, which stays true to the novel.

Originally Posted by So Fresh and So Clean

I think the last scene is brilliant.

Hence, the ending reflects the message of the movie: there is no place for the old generation's (Jones') morality: the increasingly violent nature of the crimes that Jones witnesses makes him increasingly apathetic about the state of the world, and he essentially gives up by retiring. He's been forever changed by the nature of the things he's seen and it so conflicts with his heritage (at the beginning: "in the old times, sheriffs never used to even wear guns") that he no longer feels compelled to be a lawmaker. His general confidence in the future of the world has been extinguished. There is no resolution to this problem, thus the ending, which stays true to the novel.

good job

if they don't understand that, then they need to watch it again after reading what you just wrote.

you either get it, or you don't.

the movie ended and my wife says, "what the eff?"

she rewinds it thinking the DVD just skipped, watches it again and says, "what the eff?"

my reply: "Theres no country for old men............
happy.gif
"

the whole movie is good, the ending is not for everyone, i was like wtff, but then i got the point of it.

Originally Posted by Gmills23

Good movie, good explanation.

Do yall think Shugar killed Moss's wife?

He wiped his shoes and checked his shirt for blood stains when he was leaving. I say yes.

It's a lot more clear in the novel.

I thought it was horrible and overrated
And so is your life. Whoever thinks that it was a bad movie, either doesnt know anything about movies, or is a complete idiot and should stick towatching Date Movie and Meet The Spartans.

xanadu one wrote:
the movie ended and my wife says, "what the eff?"

she rewinds it thinking the DVD just skipped, watches it again and says, "what the eff?"

my reply: "Theres no country for old men............
happy.gif
"

roll.gif
GOT HER!

I liked "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" but didn't like "No country for Old Men" at all.

No doubt the movie is good, but instead of taking the philosophy from the book and incorporating it into the movie, the Coens chose to focus on the violence.They could have had both and impacted audiences two different ways but for whatever reason they ignored the role Jones' character played in the book.

Whoever thinks that it was a bad movie, either doesnt know anything about movies, or is a complete idiot and should stick to watching Date Movie and Meet The Spartans.

preach, son!

It was definitely a good movie, but the credit should all go to Cormac Mcarthy, who wrote the novel the movie is based on. Based on is too loose a way ofputting it: the movie was scene for scene from the book, with a few minor exceptions. The Coens made a well crafted movie, but they aren't psychologicalgeniuses or master plot weavers. Well, they may be, but this movie was not from their imagination.

I loved the movie, but i guess i would have to read the book for it to be anything other than a shoot-em-up movie for me. Tommy lee jones' character wasthe only character with some substance. we don't find out a whole lot about the hunter other than he has a wife and is going to keep the money that hefinds. javier bardems(sp?) character is an insane psychopathic killer and we don't know why. the intro with TLJ narrating and the end with him talkingabout retiring and his dream are the only parts that I found GREAT about the movie, the rest was just well directed violence imo

quick question

How did the Mexicans and Anton find Llewelyn find in the motel again? near the end?
I went to the toilet

Yo theres been like 9 threads bout No country for old men Explantion, Someone should sticky this, make a official post or something...

I enjoyed the movie and I personally thought the ending was appropriate and I don't get what all the controversy is about the ending and I don't reallyunderstand how people didn't understand the significance of it. Are people really that lazy to interpret things on their own and need everything dumbeddown and spoon fed to them in order to understand it?

lol I just watched this movie on Sunday for the first time. It was a real good movie IMO. Chigurh was a dope character. hella crazy looking.

ok..so woody harelson captured sugar?(eff how his name is spelled. i know it starts with a C)
and was he shooting a shotgun? cause it looked like hadokens were flying out.

Back
Top Bottom