No new music early vol. Leaks

Has it become harder for albums to leak? With what WTT did and R.E.D. Album (little over a week away) and Carter IV (2 weeks away). So far no leaks. Normally albums would leak 2-3 weeks before the album comes out.

From what I understand, there was no CD copy of WTT..They kept the album on a jump drive right until it was time to release the CD. That's why itunes was released first before the CD version

I don't think that Game has any hype, Wayne has nowhere near what he usually has either.

i think you're taking a few small examples and basing your rule off that. albums are still leaking, days, weeks and even months before their retail date. There hasn't been a significant change in the typical timeline overall.

Yea unfortunately for lames the game is going digital. No more "cds falling off of trucks" and most album directors are using encryption type software when transferring music. Its going to be a slow transition tho because so many labels have so much money tied into these distribution buildings. So they cant just not make physicals they'll just off set them with selling digital first and physical on the backend

WTT wasnt the first to do it it was just one of the biggest releases under Universal to try out that model since rap albums are the most leaked

laugh.gif
Album leaks have been slowing down for ages. Go back 10 years ago and stuff was on the street WAY before the release date. Now, you're looking at 1 weeks, 2 weeks at the max for an album to leak before release ...

Originally Posted by gunnascott

WTT has a good plan with no physical copies til the last min. R.E.D and CIV arent really being looked forward too imo.

Exactly, though after hearing that DJ Premo/Game song my anticipation is growing. But no, leaks are not at all slowing down, Jay/Kanye just
went with a good plan though is honestly common sense when you really think about it. Plus, Jay & Kanye have the luxury of not having to
flood the market with mixtape just to get a buzz. They don't have to dump all their quality music on the internet first, then make an album that
is the watered down version of their mixtape to put in the stores.

"
laugh.gif
Album leaks have been slowing down for ages. Go back 10 years ago and stuff was on the street WAY before the release date. Now, you're looking at 1 weeks, 2 weeks at the max for an album to leak before release ... "

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You're talking about 2 completely different things. The act of music "on the street" being sold is entirely different from the material you plan on
putting in the stores being leaked. Music sold that way was/is a way for you to build your buzz locally, and having all the money go directly to you and not
a bunch of middle men. Leaked music still til this day can get leaked a year in advance because of wack/shady studio engineers and producers.

Companies like Web Sherriff are working for labels protecting against early leaks & stuff being available online.

Im sure Game & Wayne's albums will leak soon... WTT was a different story because of the iTunes release only.

i'm pretty sure Jay & Kanye paid off people to not let this album slip away to leakers, i doubt other artists are gonna pay money to stop leaks happening.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

WTT has a good plan with no physical copies til the last min. R.E.D and CIV arent really being looked forward too imo.

Exactly, though after hearing that DJ Premo/Game song my anticipation is growing. But no, leaks are not at all slowing down, Jay/Kanye just
went with a good plan though is honestly common sense when you really think about it. Plus, Jay & Kanye have the luxury of not having to
flood the market with mixtape just to get a buzz. They don't have to dump all their quality music on the internet first, then make an album that
is the watered down version of their mixtape to put in the stores.

"
laugh.gif
Album leaks have been slowing down for ages. Go back 10 years ago and stuff was on the street WAY before the release date. Now, you're looking at 1 weeks, 2 weeks at the max for an album to leak before release ... "

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You're talking about 2 completely different things. The act of music "on the street" being sold is entirely different from the material you plan on
putting in the stores being leaked. Music sold that way was/is a way for you to build your buzz locally, and having all the money go directly to you and not
a bunch of middle men. Leaked music still til this day can get leaked a year in advance because of wack/shady studio engineers and producers.
I'm not talking about mixtapes, singles, promo singles, etc, I'm talking about a full album that will land in stores. What full albums from relatively to well-known artists have leaked a year in advance in the past two, three years?

Originally Posted by illfrozn

Originally Posted by Peep Game

I'm not talking about mixtapes, singles, promo singles, etc, I'm talking about a full album that will land in stores. What full albums from relatively to well-known artists have leaked a year in advance in the past two, three years?
That's a hard one to answer, because when a massive amount of songs start floating around, you always find out that the artist has scrapped that album in preparation for another one. Songs that
appear as legit singles suddenly becomes "promo singles" because other material that would have made the album was leaked, forcing albums to get constantly pushed back.

To Billboard, an anonymous Roc Nation executive mentioned: "It was really important to [Jay] that people experienced this album in its entirety when they first listened to it. That was really the driving force of it, to create that nostalgic moment of unwrapping the CD and listening to it for the first time."

During the several months of recording, no song drafts were emailed between the rappers and producers, Wi-Fi was disabled at all pop-up studios, and all files were saved to offsite hard drives. Biometric fingerprints were needed to open all memory units. As a result, fans picking up the deluxe copies of Watch the Throne at the pop-up store or downloading it online are hearing the music for the first time.
Source

With the amount of outside features, production, etc. I'm not sure how many artists nowadays could successfully accomplish this.
However, it could possibly bring back the days of artists actually collaborating together in-studio. Probably making the vibe on tracks better like the old days
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Sn3ak3rH3aD

To Billboard, an anonymous Roc Nation executive mentioned: "It was really important to [Jay] that people experienced this album in its entirety when they first listened to it. That was really the driving force of it, to create that nostalgic moment of unwrapping the CD and listening to it for the first time."

During the several months of recording, no song drafts were emailed between the rappers and producers, Wi-Fi was disabled at all pop-up studios, and all files were saved to offsite hard drives. Biometric fingerprints were needed to open all memory units. As a result, fans picking up the deluxe copies of Watch the Throne at the pop-up store or downloading it online are hearing the music for the first time.
Source

With the amount of outside features, production, etc. I'm not sure how many artists nowadays could successfully accomplish this.
However, it could possibly bring back the days of artists actually collaborating together in-studio. Probably making the vibe on tracks better like the old days
pimp.gif

I hope that's the case, and I hope that catches on, cause it's amazing to think that (even if it may be convenient) artists collaborating for awhile now aren't actually
collaborating, it's just "you do your verse, than send it to me so I'll do mine". I swear it seems like the only true collabos are are people who you know are around
each other all the time anyway, Jay/Kanye, Em/Eoyce, Ghost/Rae, and Drake/Wayne (
eyes.gif
grin.gif
) all come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom