No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn.

Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat. 

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

"We wasn't on their list," he said the operators told him.

Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee. The county does not have a county-wide firefighting service, but South Fulton offers fire coverage to rural residents for a fee.

Cranick says he told the operator he would pay whatever is necessary to have the fire put out.

His offer wasn't accepted, he said.

The fire fee policy dates back 20 or so years.

"Anybody that's not inside the city limits of South Fulton, it's a service we offer. Either they accept it or they don't," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.

Cranick, who is now living in a trailer on his property, says his insurance policy will help cover some of his lost home.

"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."

After the blaze, South Fulton police arrested one of Cranick's sons, Timothy Allen Cranick, on an aggravated assault charge, according to WPSD-TV, an NBC station in Paducah, Ky.

Police told WPSD that the younger Cranick attacked Fire Chief David Wilds at the firehouse because he was upset his father's house was allowed to burn.

WPSD-TV reported that Wilds was treated and released.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

It sucks but whats the alternative?

The money has to come from somewhere.

From the looks of the article, dude wasn't even mad. He knows he took that L.

it's kinda messed up that his family is out of a home because dude was clearly trying to get over.

unfortunately him being cheap ended up coming back to bite him on the *+%.

It woulda been a completely different story had there been disabled people in the house that couldn't get out without help. How could one possibly rationalize not saving pets, or family members, yet sit there and put out the fire on a neighboring fence? All over $75???

This policy doesn't sound like the most effective. The fire dept. should be obligated to put out fires regardless of payment. And if people are not up to date on their fees, they should be back billed + penalties for not paying on time. But it is completely unacceptable to let a house burn down to the ground possibly with family and pets inside over less than a buck.

Coming from someone who has experienced a house fire.

You people would be singing a different song if it was your house, your possessions and your pets that were lost while those hick firefighters sat back and watched. He even offered to pay over the phone.

I'm originally from TN, and I know Obion County...I'm surprised those slow $&^*@ even knew how to turn on the hose.

sounds cruel.....but this practice isn't uncommon in rural towns with limited resources and revenue.

This story is incredible in that regardless of whether they paid the fee or not that the firefighters didnt have a conscious to help the people out. You see firefighters helping people all the time when they aren't even on duty. I wonder what the reaction would of been if someone were to of died as result of the fire.

Originally Posted by marath0n

The most surprising thing about this is that it didn't happen in Ohio.

b0a26e546d0cc10d5786f229d4b110bd5d5e9d68.gif

Originally Posted by south sole

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

eek.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by marath0n

The most surprising thing about this is that it didn't happen in Ohio.

laugh.gif

Burning trash outside was a common thing for them too, I guess he had it coming.

Originally Posted by KleanKicks

You people would be singing a different song if it was your house, your possessions and your pets that were lost while those hick firefighters sat back and watched. He even offered to pay over the phone.

I'm originally from TN, and I know Obion County...I'm surprised those slow $&^*@ even knew how to turn on the hose.
If it was my crib I would be mad at myself for either being cheap or forgetting to pay the fee.

If you allow one person to pay over the phone then nobody would pay because they know they could do the same then the town would have no money to support the dept.

At the same time being from the city it just seems crazy to let a house burn down over $75. If my store was being robbed and 911 wouldnt take the call because I forgot to pay a tax would be crazy lol.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Like I said...it sucks, but what is the alternative?
There are plenty of alternatives. How do you think other counties do it?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

sounds cruel.....but this practice isn't uncommon in rural towns with limited resources and revenue.
Yep, however suburban towns do this as well. Some towns have only 1 fire truck.

I wonder what the reaction would of been if someone were to of died as result of the fire.
This is going to have to happen to expose how ludicrous this practice is.

339lvg7.png

Everyone wants something for nothing.

Dude chose NOT to pay the bill. Thats the risk of living in rural areas. Its just the truth of the matter.

Could they have billed him later with a enlarged premium? Yep.

He knew the rules and chose not to abide by them until when his time came to deal with the consequences. Tough luck.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Yep, however suburban towns do this as well. Some towns have only 1 fire truck.

I wonder what the reaction would of been if someone were to of died as result of the fire.
This is going to have to happen to expose how ludicrous this practice is.

they should just charge a couple 5k or more (depending on their costs and some profit) to anyone who hasn't paid the fee and wants the fire put out.

We're talking 75 bucks though, the fire dept couldn't front 75 bucks to save this guy's house?

Should have put the fire out and charged him extra for the service, maybe even using his house as collateral. Think about that one.

What if someone died, over 75 bucks. Jesus, how many times do you forget to pay a bill? Clearly not worth losing your house over.

I want to know more about how that FD gets money or funding though? Is it state ran? or private? I can't believe this was allowed to happen.

If this happened to my fam, someone would end up losing their life no question. I'd go to jail for it easy.

thats grimey, either way. yeah he should have paid the fee, but honestly, i can see ALOT of people forgetting to pay. hell, i didnt even know there was a fee. i thought that was just paid for by the city or county. i don't even know if i have to pay a fee for my house. guess i should look into that.

Back
Top Bottom