Norcal's GRUB Thread

Are there any places other than San Tung that sells Dried chicken wings? Or is San Tung the only place I should ever consider when it comes to Dry fried chicken wings?

There are plenty places that have dried friend chicken but San Tung holds the crown in taste IMO..

Get some papusa's at this El Salvadorian spot in the Mission. I forget the name but its around 18th and Mission a couple of blocks way but not too far from El Farolito. 

Balompie Cafe has one of the best pupusas I've tried around here. There are two spots in SF.

Fremont got a Smoking Pig BBQ that I think finally opened. I ate at the San Jose location a couple times.. thought it was pretty good.

Corti Special w/ dutch crunch bread from Corti Bros here in Sac :smokin

Edit... didnt realized i uploaded the same photo :lol:

Last edited:
Are there any places other than San Tung that sells Dried chicken wings? Or is San Tung the only place I should ever consider when it comes to Dry fried chicken wings?

There's a place on balboa that sells pretty good wings. I have yet to try it because they're on vacation until the 12th. It's across the street from Purple Kow
It's a shanghai place, correct?

I've been there a few times. Wings are ok, but ST is still > *. My biggest gripe with the wings that it is heavily battered, but if you don't mind it, it's worth the try.

Going to be heading to monterey in a few weeks for the weekend. What are some must try spots?

There's a place on balboa that sells pretty good wings. I have yet to try it because they're on vacation until the 12th. It's across the street from Purple Kow

I've been there a few times. Wings are ok, but ST is still > *. My biggest gripe with the wings that it is heavily battered, but if you don't mind it, it's worth the try.

there's a spot named "SO" on Bryant. I remember my gf telling me the owner of SO was like the cousin of the San Tung owner. The wings are just as good as San Tungs imo

Last time I went I thought they were perfection. Maybe i'm feeling a little better about this place because I didn't have to wait as long as San Tung :lol:

Going to be heading to monterey in a few weeks for the weekend. What are some must try spots?
First Awakenings is a pretty dope breakfast spot.

Shoutouts to @JapanAir21  for the tip like 5 years ago 
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Trailside Cafe & Coffee House is solid too, nice location, pretty sweet place.

For dinner, Old Fisherman's Grotto was my go-to 
smokin.gif

For wings definitely hit up San Tung & Hot Sauce & Panko in SF. If you're in San Jose hit up 99chicken or Bon Chon. All four of these spots bomb.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a good wings spot in the peninsula? Not talking about wingstop or bww.

I haven't been there for a long time, but Smoke Eaters(formelry Cluck U/University Chicken) in Santa Clara is bomb. Def worth checking out :pimp:
It was on Man VS Food for their hot wing challenge

Sup fellas, gonna visit from Houston soon and was looking for some eats. As far as what we got covered in Houston (probably the most diverse city in regards to food goes) we got Vietnamese, Cantonese, Sichuan, Mexican, BBQ, and Beef all covered here.

What are some most try places in SF/Napa? I wanna try to go to one of the Michelin restaurants for a tasting, but there's quite a bit in SF.

I'll take any recommendations since most places there it seems require reservations. From nice and fancy to hole in the wall places, I'm interested.

As for drinks, I'm more of chill back, enjoy the view, and relax at a bar, not a clubber. Gonna be going with the girlfriend.

So far I got:

Bourbon and Branch (for drinks) - Reserved
The View a Grand Marriott (for drinks/view)
Nopa - reserved
Commonwealth - reserved

Possibly:
Sam Tung, Epic Roasthouse, The Plow (Brunch depending on wait since there is no reservations), Crab House/Waterbar/Hog Island/Sam's Anchor (one of these oyster places I guess), Mitchell (for dessert).

Ill take any other suggestions. Thanks NT.

Sup fellas, gonna visit from Houston soon and was looking for some eats. As far as what we got covered in Houston (probably the most diverse city in regards to food goes) we got Vietnamese, Cantonese, Sichuan, Mexican, BBQ, and Beef all covered here.

What are some most try places in SF/Napa? I wanna try to go to one of the Michelin restaurants for a tasting, but there's quite a bit in SF.

I'll take any recommendations since most places there it seems require reservations. From nice and fancy to hole in the wall places, I'm interested.

As for drinks, I'm more of chill back, enjoy the view, and relax at a bar, not a clubber. Gonna be going with the girlfriend.

So far I got:

Bourbon and Branch (for drinks) - Reserved
The View a Grand Marriott (for drinks/view)
Nopa - reserved
Commonwealth - reserved

Possibly:
Sam Tung, Epic Roasthouse, The Plow (Brunch depending on wait since there is no reservations), Crab House/Waterbar/Hog Island/Sam's Anchor (one of these oyster places I guess), Mitchell (for dessert).

Ill take any other suggestions. Thanks NT.
If you wanna eat with a view try Cliff House or Beach Chalet.

Union Square is the dead center of the tourist zone of SF. All the big name shops there and what not (Gucci, Burberry, our Niketown etc) constant foot traffic. lots of good restaurants. about 2 blocks from the famous entrance to Chinatown. on Union you can easily take a cab to little italy which has some nice food places for about $12 (can't remember the last time I took a cab to go there). Little italy is also nice because a few of its streets branches off into the Bar/Club streets where they're all on. look up Polk, Columbus, and Green St. lot of night life there. some also in the financial district but I forgot specific street names

Back
Top Bottom