North Korea Says It Has Successfully Carried Out a Hydrogen Bomb Test

frown.gif
indifferent.gif
mean.gif

BBC Breaking News [emoji]10004[/emoji] @BBCBreaking

Magnitude 5.1 'earthquake' detected near North Korean nuclear test site http://bbc.in/1ZMZ5Ry 

8:15 PM - 5 Jan 2016

BBC Breaking News [emoji]10004[/emoji] @BBCBreaking

North Korea says it has carried out its first successful test of a hydrogen bomb http://bbc.in/1JsTPOK 

9:42 PM - 5 Jan 2016

The Associated Press [emoji]10004[/emoji] @AP

BREAKING: South Korean weather agency sees signs of "artificial quake" near North Korean nuke test site.

8:12 PM - 5 Jan 2016

Rebecca Shabad [emoji]10004[/emoji] @RebeccaShabad

North Korea appears to have tested sub-launched missile: South Korean media http://reut.rs/1PLPuYj  via @Reuters

8:01 PM - 5 Jan 2016

The Washington Times [emoji]10004[/emoji] @WashTimes
UPDATE on North Korea earthquake ... Pyongyang to make "major announcement" at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday US time ,,, http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/5/north-korea-artificial-earthquake-may-signal-nucle …

9:15 PM - 5 Jan 2016

Steve Herman [emoji]10004[/emoji] @W7VOA
#DPRK special announcement now beginning.

9:30 PM - 5 Jan 2016

The Associated Press [emoji]10004[/emoji] @AP

Confirmed nuclear test by North Korea would be step toward its goal of creating warhead able to reach US: http://apne.ws/1Z78Tss 

9:11 PM - 5 Jan 2016

Steve Herman [emoji]10004[/emoji] @W7VOA
Very preliminary but from size of the seismic event some experts say this could not have been an actual H-bomb test. https://twitter.com/passantino/status/684580173035905025 …

9:43 PM - 5 Jan 2016

October 2002: North Korea first acknowledges it has a secret nuclear weapons programme

October 2006: The first of three underground nuclear explosions is announced, at a test site called Punggye-ri

May 2009: A month after walking out of international talks on its nuclear programme, North Korea carries out its second underground nuclear test

February 2013: A third nuclear test takes place using what state media calls a "miniaturised and lighter nuclear device"

May 2015: Pyongyang claims to have tested a submarine-launched missile, which are more difficult to detect than conventional devices

January 2016: North Korea says it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb

• North Korea claims it has successfully detonated a miniaturised hydrogen bomb.
  • The underground test took place on Wednesday at 10am local time (1.30am GMT/Wednesday 12.30pm AEDT/Tuesday 6.30pm ET) at a known nuclear test site at Punggye-ri, in the east of the country.
  • An announcement on state television claimed the test “worked perfectly” and was “self-defence against the US having numerous and humongous nuclear weapons”.
  • If true, this would be North Korea’s fourth nuclear test, and its first using a hydrogen bomb, significantly more powerful than an atomic bomb.
  • There has been no independent verification of North Korea’s claims.
  • An artificial earthquake of magnitude 5.1 was detected close to Punggye-ri. The UN organisation monitoring the world for signs of nuclear testing confirmed it had detected “an unusual event in the Korean peninsula”, but some experts have cautioned that claims of a hydrogen bomb could be exaggerated.
  • The UN security council is expected to meet in New York on Wednesday 11am ET (4pm GMT) to discuss the North Korean claims.
  • The White House said it could not yet confirm the test, but reiterated that the US “will not accept [North Korea] as a nuclear state”.
  • South Korea and Japan have condemned news of the test, labelling it a threat to their security.
  • China has yet to respond officially but an editorial from Xinhua, the official news agency, warned:
Any act that disrupts stability in north-eastern Asia is undesirable and unwise.
  • Australia’s foreign minister Julie Bishop said her country “condemns in the strongest possible terms the provocative and dangerous behaviour of the North Korean regime”.
  • The UK foreign secretary, Philip Hammond, said any test would be a “grave breach” of UN resolutions and “a provocation which I condemn without reservation”. Hammond told reporters in Beijing:
So far as I think any of us can tell, there is no reason to doubt what the North Koreans are claiming: that they have carried out a test detonation of an H-bomb.

Source

Last edited:
Let me preface my statement by saying that I'm not too up on foreign affairs, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like N Korea tested their little bomb or whatever. So what? As long as we don't mess with them, they don't have a reason to come and romp with us right. Why is America always trying to get involved with other countries that don't concern them? Why don't we be cool like how we be cool, and N Korea can stay over there and do whatever they got going on over there?

Why is America always trying to get involved with other countries that don't concern them?  
you do know we have an obligation to taiwan, korea, and japan to help defend them in the event of war....

everything that goes on in that area concerns us.

Let me preface my statement by saying that I'm not too up on foreign affairs, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like N Korea tested their little bomb or whatever. So what? As long as we don't mess with them, they don't have a reason to come and romp with us right. Why is America always trying to get involved with other countries that don't concern them? Why don't we be cool like how we be cool, and N Korea can stay over there and do whatever they got going on over there?
do you know the living conditions in N. Korea? In addition, S. Korea and Japan are America's two biggest allies in the East (esp S. Korea since they're so close to N. Korea)

mean.gif

The whole reason they got nuclear technology in the first place was because of us supplying it to them on the condition that they use it for "peaceful means"

mean.gif

The whole reason they got nuclear technology in the first place was because of us supplying it to them on the condition that they use it for "peaceful means"
kim il sung started up the north korea's nuclear program with the help of the Soviet Union and China

you need to read up on your history huh

They'd be dumb to actually use it on someone. It was bound to happen. Just hope it isn't easy enough for terrorist to get their hands on one in the future.

Dont we have the warhead technology to literally wipe out North Korea tomorrow if we wanted to? Just saying.

But stuff like that is scary. Imagine they do have the capability of sending one over here. I'm just like would they go for NY? Nah man they would go for one of the middle states because it's a nuclear thing and they just trying spread disease so you're good.

Dont we have the warhead technology to literally wipe out North Korea tomorrow if we wanted to? Just saying.

But stuff like that is scary. Imagine they do have the capability of sending one over here. I'm just like would they go for NY? Nah man they would go for one of the middle states because it's a nuclear thing and they just trying spread disease so you're good.
If they launched it at NYC than we would send counter measures at its highest point in the atmosphere(which would cause nuclear fallout still), than we would respond by nuking their biggest cities and bombing their military bases in under an hour.

U know if Americas politicians were more "diverse"
And not just a few other ethnicities sprinkled here and there
And actual the "every man" type of politician held those positions
We wouldn't have the problems we have
And I think we wouldn't have as much conflict as we do
In saying that
Maaaaaan lets just take North Korea and call it a day
Work something out with China and Russia so they wouldn't trip off us taking me out
My question is
What does n Korea have that China and Russia backs them
Like do they just back them as a giant **** you to the u.s.

I knew he made an h bomb because on New Year's Day he had a speech saying he go to war with any country that tried to start with them. Smh guys a nut job

Their warhead wouldn't even come close to reaching ANY part of the US.

Surrounding countries, maaaaaybe they have something to worry about.

its kind of crazy to think, in a world where new technology spreads like wild fire, when it comes to military tech these countries are just now figuring out things that the US figured out in the 50s without any computers

like inventing a H bomb is monumental in N Korea when the people in the states that invented it have already died of old age 

U know if Americas politicians were more "diverse"
And not just a few other ethnicities sprinkled here and there
And actual the "every man" type of politician held those positions
We wouldn't have the problems we have
And I think we wouldn't have as much conflict as we do
In saying that
Maaaaaan lets just take North Korea and call it a day
Work something out with China and Russia so they wouldn't trip off us taking me out
My question is
What does n Korea have that China and Russia backs them
Like do they just back them as a giant **** you to the u.s.

I don't even know where to begin. Suffice it to say that you should stick to posts about not tipping. Having more Everyday Joe types in Congress is not going to help. Stop spreading ignorant ideas like that, some poor teenager might read that and think you have a good point (you don't.) North Korea is important to China and Russia for many things, but the biggest is its location, especially in relation to all of its neighboring countries. NK offers direct access to both the Sea of Japan and the North Pacific. That's going to be a huge advantage in the coming years if China continues their plans in the South China Sea and keeps snatching up those islands.

The issue with North Korea isn't taking their leaders out - that's arguably the easiest part, and if a military coup ever actually does occur they might actually do most of that for us. The biggest issue that everyone is concerned about are the millions of average North Koreans who have very little knowledge of the outside world. These are people who not only will have to be reeducated, but will also need training, jobs, food, and shelter.

China actually doesn't want North Korea having nuclear weapons any more than we do, and were encouraging disarmament before NK started acting up. They know that if NK starts something, they are going to be on the receiving end of the following humanitarian crisis, so its within their interests to have a docile North Korea as well. They just don't want a western appointed leader in NK. At this point, I'm sure China doesn't even want NK to have NK, especially if they did this without warning.

Now, for the bomb itself, I highly doubt it was an actual Hydrogen detenation. I'm not a scientist, but folks over on Reddit have been saying that the seismic activity (magnitiude of 5.1) isn't consistent with a Hydrogen bomb and was more likely a Fission bomb, which is still bad, but not as bad. Since North Korean scientists can presumably communicate with those in China, Russia, and Iran...and since NK is now enriching its own plutonium...its not impossible to think that they have the ability to do an H bomb. I just think it's not something to worry about quite yet, given NK doesn't have enough resources to feed its own people, much less complete the task of developing a delivery system.

They'll just use this as excuse to prop up their leader, and then threaten to use it until we give them more aid. Cycle will repeat until China realizes its no longer worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom