NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

Haven't had much time to read books in my leisure, since the spring semester, but I just started Sam Harris's new book, Free Will, and am going to start reading The Art of War.

I just finished After Dark by Murakami literally 30 min. ago. 
A damn good read.
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

For those who read the book, how did you guys interpret the man wearing the plastic mask that was in Eri Asai's T.V.? 
nerd.gif

I'm ordering my next Murakami book from Amazon. I can't decide between Sputnik Sweetheart or South Of The Border, West Of The Sun.

-Drew

I definitely recommend these books to those that are interested in self-improvement, spirituality, evolution, physics, etc.

pimp.gif
Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukab --> #1 New York Times best seller 31 times and staying on that list for close to 3 years

pimp.gif
Frequency: The Power of Personal Vibration by Penney Peirce

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

You should check out Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle if you haven't read it yet. One of my favorites.

Definitely.
I'm going to be loading that, 1Q87, and Kafka On The Shore onto my iPad. I'll be doing some heavy reading on my 16+ hour flight next month. 
laugh.gif

I started on Sputnik Sweetheart though.

-Drew

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Kafka's a nice read, little weird, but it lines up with the Japanese culture.

Dope.
You've read all his books dude?

-Drew

Originally Posted by ectheg

product_american_psycho_book.jpg

The minimalist style of narrative coupled with excessive spending and grotesque violence made this a crazy read. Definitely going to look into Ellis' other novels and some other 'transgressive fiction' novels too. 

If anyone is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgressive_fiction

Also: Ellis tweeted some ideas about a sequel... interested to see if/how that plays out
I think he was a bit tipsy when he tweeted about the sequel. I don't think the sequel would be good though. I've recently finished the book myself, was quite a long book. When I first read the scene with Al, I had to reread that, I've never seen a book like this.

^ not sure which scene you're talking about, what happened in it? And yeah sequel could be hit or miss for sure.

^ not sure which scene you're talking about, what happened in it? And yeah sequel could be hit or miss for sure.

Kinda don't want to spoil it but the scene with the hobo who has a dog. You seen the movie?

Finished reading catching fire the 2nd book of the hunger games trilogy. Book is very good

I do a fiction binge, then nonfiction. Lately I've read:

Fiction
The Girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy
hunger games trilogy
50 shades of grey trilogy

Non-fiction
Slavery by another name
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
(FINALLY finished 'Souls of Black Folk')

It's time for fiction and I think I'm going to read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter just in time for the movie.

Just finished:

The Foundations of Screenwriting - Syd Field
The Old Man and The Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Collected Poems - Dorothy Parker

Now reading:
Dracula - Bram Stoker

Originally Posted by thetoxic360

Kinda don't want to spoil it but the scene with the hobo who has a dog. You seen the movie?
OK got it now, honestly all of those scenes were so intense and only got more twisted as the book went on. And yeah I've seen the movie, both were great imo.

I've started too many at the same time, but I'm finishing them slowly:

- Dante - Divine comedy
- Benjamin Graham - The intelligent investor
- Tőzsér László - Metaphysics
- Csáth Géza - Diary of an insane women

Recently finished Nietzsche's The birth of tragedy and DOstoyevsky's The idiot.

Back
Top Bottom