NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

We can make our discussions and such here. Maybe we can use GoodReads as some sort of supplement.

If I make a new thread, I can probably make a roll call and depending on the number of people, I can divide each of us equally into groups.

Each group will be specified a specific month to nominate a set of books, then we can vote from there.

Sounds good guys?

-Drew

I'm with it.

Im in this 50 books/50 movie challenge for 2015

Im down for the monthly book challenge. Are we going to set the goal as 5 a month and start saving names and tallying up books read along with who is on course to finish the challenge?

Im down for the monthly book challenge. Are we going to set the goal as 5 a month and start saving names and tallying up books read along with who is on course to finish the challenge?

I think were more interested in having common books to discuss

do any of you guys want ot do a monthly book? i want ot get back into reading more but i have no motivation 
I'm down. I don't have much time to read lately but I think I can make it work.

I think were more interested in having common books to discuss
Yea that kinda of been the whole point of this thread for years but dude above suggested could we do a monthly book thing for him to get back into reading.

More of less its kinda like the no fap challenge. Just a way to get people back into reading and to knock down some of those books on your reading list out.

Wasn't trying to change the culture of the thread. 

I got no problem with 5 books a month but I'm also a college student so that might be a bit much for some members.

Didn't wanna alienate people

**** im in college to, summer school starts next week for me.

So 1 book a month 
nerd.gif

I agree with 1 book a month as well. I'll try to keep everything manageable and what not since we have school, work, etc.

Once we choose a book, maybe we can set a point in the book to be read within 2 weeks into the month and have a discussion at that halfway point. Then at the end of the month we can have the final discussion of the book. That way, the thread won't be dead for the majority of the month and it would also encourage participation.

I'll start a new thread once I get back home and post the link up in this thread. :nerd:

-Drew

I kind of want to get in on this, but I have so many books that I want to read before I start reading anything else. I didn't get to read much the best few years since I was busy with school and have accumulated quite the list. Now that I'm done I wanna start chipping away at it. I might still get in anyway.

I'm down for book club.

I just finished reading The Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates. It was a really good read about a guy who grew up in West Baltimore with an ex Black Panther father. It's his coming of age story involving hip hop, black consciousness, and his struggle to find himself growing up in Bmore. I highly recommend it.

I'm down for book club.

I just finished reading The Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates. It was a really good read about a guy who grew up in West Baltimore with an ex Black Panther father. It's his coming of age story involving hip hop, black consciousness, and his struggle to find himself growing up in Bmore. I highly recommend it.

Coates' book has been on my to-read list for a while, I always check for his articles in The Atlantic. He's releasing a new book in September, btw

Just finished Rework and Smartcuts. Pretty solid reads :smokin

“You can make incremental progress by playing by the rules. To create breakthrough change, you have to break the rules.”

6732019.jpg
20910174.jpg

Get to work!

Rating: 4/5

Favorite quotes:

"There’s a new reality. Today anyone can be in business. Tools that used to be out of reach are now easily accessible. Technology that cost thousands is now just a few bucks or even free. One person can do the job of two or three or, in some cases, an entire department. Stuff that was impossible just a few years ago is simple today."

"If you’re going to do something, do something that matters."

"Ideas are cheap and plentiful. The original pitch idea is such a small part of a business that it’s almost negligible. The real question is how well you execute."

"When you don’t know what you believe, everything becomes an argument. Everything is debatable. But when you stand for something, decisions are obvious." "Standing for something isn’t just about writing it down. It’s about believing it and living it."

"A business without a path to profit isn’t a business, it’s a hobby."

"Getting to great starts by cutting out stuff that’s merely good."

"Whenever you can, swap “Let’s think about it” for “Let’s decide on it.” Commit to making decisions. Don’t wait for the perfect solution. Decide and move forward."

"It’s the stuff you leave out that matters. So constantly look for things to remove, simplify, and streamline. Be a curator. Stick to what’s truly essential. Pare things down until you’re left with only the most important stuff. Then do it again. You can always add stuff back in later if you need to."

"It’s tempting for people to obsess over tools instead of what they’re going to do with those tools. You know the type: Designers who use an avalanche of funky typefaces and fancy Photoshop filters but don’t have anything to say. Amateur photographers who want to debate film versus digital endlessly instead of focusing on what actually makes a photograph great." "People use equipment as a crutch. They don’t want to put in the hours on the driving range so they spend a ton in the pro shop. They’re looking for a shortcut. But you just don’t need the best gear in the world to be good. And you definitely don’t need it to get started."

"What could you be doing instead? What can’t you do because you’re doing this? This is especially important for small teams with constrained resources. That’s when prioritization is even more important. If you work on A, can you still do B and C before April? If not, would you rather have B and C instead of A? If you’re stuck on something for a long period of time, that means there are other things you’re not getting done."

"...you can’t beat someone who’s making the rules. You need to redefine the rules, not just build something slightly better."

"Emulate drug dealers. Make your product so good, so addictive, so “can’t miss” that giving customers a small, free taste makes them come back with cash in hand."

"People are creatures of habit. That’s why they react to change in such a negative way. They’re used to using something in a certain way and any change upsets the natural order of things. So they push back. They complain. They demand that you revert to the way things were."

"Inspiration is a magical thing, a productivity multiplier, a motivator. But it won’t wait for you. Inspiration is a now thing. If it grabs you, grab it right back and put it to work."

1. Hacking The Ladder
2. Training With Masters
3. Rapid Feedback
4. Platforms
5. Catching Waves
6. Superconnecting
7. Momentum
8. Simplicity
9. 10x Thinking

I really enjoyed the epilogue about D’Wayne Edwards who refused to give up on his dream and became one of the best sneaker designers in the industry.

Rating: 4/5

Favorite Quotes:

"Lateral thinking doesn’t replace hard work; it eliminates unnecessary cycles. Once they’ve shortened their path, overachievers tend to look for ways to do more with their effort..."

"Too many of us place our hopes and dreams in the unreliable hands of luck, but the world’s most rapidly successful people take luck into their own hands (even though many are too humble to say so). Too many of us accept the plateaus our lives have offered us and succumb to passivity, to the well-meaning delusion of 'If I work hard enough, something good will hopefully happen to me.'"

"We’ll see throughout the following chapters how Sinatra-style credibility and ladder switching—always parlaying for something more—are the foundation for how the most interesting people and companies in the world succeed. It’s not just how presidents get to the top. It’s how CEOs and comedians and racecar drivers hone their skills and make it in the big leagues. It’s how new businesses grow fast, and old businesses grow faster. It’s how entrepreneurs create life-changing products in record time and inventors parlay dreams for bigger dreams. Hacking the ladder is the mind-set they use to get places. The rest of this book is about becoming good enough to deserve it."

"All great successes make mistakes along the way. NBA star Michael Jordan missed more than 9,000 shots and lost 300 games in his career. He was the best, and he failed a lot."

"The secret to harnessing momentum is to build up potential energy, so that unexpected opportunities can be amplified."

"Innovation is about doing something differently, rather than creating something from nothing (invention) or doing the same thing better (improvement)."

"Apparently, patience and willpower, even creativity, are exhaustible resources. That’s why so many busy and powerful people practice mind-clearing meditation and stick to rigid daily routines: to minimize distractions and maximize good decision making."

"Incremental progress, he says, depends on working harder. More resources, more effort. 10x progress is built on bravery and creativity instead. Working smarter."

“Generally speaking, if you’re gonna make something ten percent better than the way things currently are, you better be great in sales and marketing, because you’re gonna have to talk people into changing their behavior for a very marginal increase in value,” explains Astro Teller. “If, on the other hand, you make something ten times better for a large number of people—you really produce huge amounts of new value—the money’s gonna come find you. Because it would be hard not to make money if you’re really adding that much value.”

Last edited:
I'm down for book club.

Coates' book has been on my to-read list for a while, I always check for his articles in The Atlantic. He's releasing a new book in September, btw

Yeah you should definitely read it. I'm excited about he's new book.

Back
Top Bottom