NT Coaches Thread (Will Be Updated Regularly)

A few websites that I regularly check:

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/ - Best coaching website on the net IMO

http://ucfwbbthoughts.blogspot.com/ - Inspirational blog by Coach Brown from UCF Women's Basketball

12/04/09 - http://hoopthoughts.blogspot.com/- GREAT  GREAT GREAT GREAT

12/15/09 - http://mensbasketballhoopscoop.blogspot.com/ (thanks - cleansneaksonly21)

05/05/10 - http://basketballcoachingnotes.blogspot.com/

05/05/10 - http://mensbasketballhoopscoop.blogspot.com/

05/16/10 - Free play designer - http://www.jes-soft.com/playbook/

I will add more links regularly. But the point of this thread is to inspire and share different ideas/methods of getting to your players. Feel free to add.

THOUGHTS & OBSERVATIONS ON EFFICIENCY

1. Post game stats.Review production of each player and the team. Have a system. Keepspecific stats of areas of emphasis.
2. Must have a way to measure efficiency.
3. Don’t keep track of hours. Just production.
4. Meetings—don’t meet just to meet. Meet to get things done.
5. Don’t put things off. Catch things early.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
7. Don’t pretend to understand. Ask questions.
8. Spend time and energy on things you need to produce.
9. Constantly teach how to work smart.
10. Getting things done is a principle.
11. Production not potential.
12.Concept of being like a machine. Machines don’t care about time,temperature or environment. It does its job over and over.
13. Keep the machine finely tuned.
14. It’s not about making plays, it’s about eliminating poor judgment, carelessness and a casual approach.
15. Chart and track things that are important to you.
16. Necessity is the greatest creative force in the universe.
17. Find out the “why

Good thread.

I need to take my former coach's offer on helping him out. I wouldn't mind being his assistant coach or even a head coach on a freshman or JV squad.

Great thread DC...I wish I were still coaching. My last game was a close loss in the area championship game. I'm hoping to get in at another school nextyear. That bug has been biting me for months.

Good luck to all of you!

I NaSmatic I; do it man. Put some sense into these young kids. Not just basketball wise. Many of them just need the help. Someone to listen to and talk to. Doit for them.

I coach varsity baseball....so your websites dont completely apply to me. But theres some good info there. Thanks.

I just got signed up to coach 5th and 6th grade basketball so i'll definitely be checking this out.

Cakes, what are your thoughts going into this project? I coached 3 years varsity boys in the hood so maybe we can relate. If you need anything let me know man.

I'm actually find myself trying to learn everything all over again from a different approach. Its different knowing/being able to things and trying toconvey it to kids who don't know/nor care about anything but trying to cross someone. Keeping my patience when their attention span veers or theyaren't grasping on to a concept. Learning how to get them (as well as myself) to deal with different attitudes and come together collectively to accomplisha goal.

Those are my main thoughts right now... Just had my 1st practice yesterday, so now I'm here trying to formulate a plan for what to do to maximize my timeand their efforts next week.

How involved are their parents? This will become a BIG issue man.

We had one dude on our HS team's mother basically cuss us out for a whole half because her son wasn't playing enough. Her son shut her up because shewas so damn embarrassing.� That lady cussed me the HELL out after the game man. Hahahahaha

I did a quick search on the Coaching Better Basketball Blog with "Parents" and came up with this: Some good articles here man. I am telling you thissite is beautiful - http://coachingbetterbbal...ts&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

But yea I feel you man. It will be a challenge to keep their minds sharp because of them only caring about the spectacular. It will really be tough since theyare so young so it isn't like they will have a conscious to think, "This guy is here to help us." If they were HS kids maybe there is a CHANCEthat would go through their minds, but not with 5th and 6th grade kids.

Something I learned from Hubie is that the kids should always know how long they are going to practice because it forces them to work harder since they knowhow long they will be working. Imagine going into work and not knowing what time you will get off. He says that if you have a time span already in place itforces you as the coach to stick to your plan and it also allows for the kids to give you what they have. Here is that video

Here are also some other Hubie videos - http://www.youtube.com/re...+Brown&search_type=&aq=f

Also leave me your email if you want me to forward you some stuff I got from a Hubie clinic someone passed along to me

DCAllAmerican wrote:

How involved are their parents? This will become a BIG issue man.

Also leave me your email if you want me to forward you some stuff I got from a Hubie clinic someone passed along to me

From what I was told they can be pretty intense but I'm going to let them know from jump that I'm volunteering my time to help their kid, no pay whatso ever and that I only have 1hr per week to work with them and there is only sooooo much I can do in that hur, although I'm going to lobby for more time.I'm going to send you a pm with that email addy too. Love.
Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

What type of D you going to run?

had them working on a 1-2-1-1 in the half court set... Prolly going to work on a 3-2 zone as well as some Man. They seemed to grasp the diamond decent enoughthough for the 1st time but we'll see. I want to pressure the perimeter

I always like Pressing for high-school level and under. Kids don't make good decisions at this age and you will get a bunch of points off turnover's

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I NaSmatic I; do it man. Put some sense into these young kids. Not just basketball wise. Many of them just need the help. Someone to listen to and talk to. Do it for them.

Doesn't hurt that I'm becoming a teacher either
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

i recommend the "Carolina Way" for reading material, gives a look at the relationship side and the construction of a team/program.

And I have to say the NCAA rule about working camps that might be passed as part of that recruiting reform, is complete and utter *+*#*$@%.

I, among a few friends had good camps lined up to work this coming summer and now we may not be able to do so.

Can anyone break down to me how Grad Assistant spots work? I've researched it and made some sense of it, but anyone know somebody who's been one?

What is the rule about working camps exactly?

What do you need to know about Graduate Assistant spots? I know some folks that have been GA's

I was a GA anything specific you need to know?

a brief overall you work for the school and as payment they give you the opportunity to take a set number of classes per semester (my school offered 9 credithrs per semester) for free. Some of these positions you also receive a stipend as well. I had the priviledge of receiving having the latter.

That if you're not currently enrolled or a graduate of the university, you can't be hired to work there.

i come from a small, but respectable D2 school as far as hoops are concerned. As I ventured out more this summer it was "work camps, work camps, workcamps"...now if that's gone, it'd be an uphill battle even more than it would have been,

i guess my questions would be more of the acceptance process..i'll come up with questions later.

Nas, that teaching + coaching combo is a good if you can lock it down. Something I wish i was on track to do.

* cake, yes that was easier then reading the fine print and is what i assumed overall. thanks.

I didn't want to teach but as I see so many mindless and lost kids out here I think I might want to teach. Not sure man, career wise my mind is all overthe place.

Damn I worked GW and George Mason camps a few summers ago but I was still in school (not those schools) and didn't have a job. Damn so if you don'twork for the school you can't work camp there? What is the reason behind this? The NCAA being the NCAA?

Cakes, do you mind me asking where were you a GA?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I didn't want to teach but as I see so many mindless and lost kids out here I think I might want to teach. Not sure man, career wise my mind is all over the place.

Damn I worked GW and George Mason camps a few summers ago but I was still in school (not those schools) and didn't have a job. Damn so if you don't work for the school you can't work camp there? What is the reason behind this? The NCAA being the NCAA?

Cakes, do you mind me asking where were you a GA?
for the most part, the recruiting reform is to eliminate the 'handlers' that are looking for payouts. they want to cut out the 3rdparties.

Which is fine, but passing that part of it, it's a little backwards. I mean I can see the reason as to doing that as well

more on it..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4601355

I didn't want to teach but as I see so many mindless and lost kids out here I think I might want to teach. Not sure man, career wise my mind is all over the place.
I spent all of last year working with kids after school that came from bad neighborhoods, families...they need the guidance now more than ever.especially from male figures. Even just doing that was a rewarding job, i'd look into it, DC. Teaching has it's benefits too, just never gona be rich.but overtime at least for me, i'd rather do something i enjoy than deposit a bigger check.

The only small hurdle I have is I'll be teaching elementary school and most elementary schools don't field bball teams
laugh.gif

But I don't mind a drive to the local high school if the situation ever presents itself.

Back
Top Bottom