NT DJs / Producers / Musicians

I wanted to start a thread for fellow NTers that are involved in music whether it be DJing, producing, or playing an instrument professionally or just for fun. I myself am an aspiring DJ. I've only been doing it for a little over a year now. I'm still working on the basics, but so far I just love doing it and hopefully I can start doing house parties and possible a guest spot in one of the clubs/bars in my downtown area.

Anyway, I'd like for this thread to be a spot for musically minded NTers to network, share personal experiences with their progression in their respective field, ask questions, etc

I know you guys are out there. Hoping to get some good contributions from you all.

Last edited:
I remember seeing an Official DJ thread a few months ago on here. I was hoping it was still around and I would just start posting in there more. I couldn't even find it that's why I created this one. It sucks because I'm sure there are others like me on NT. I was hoping we'd have a place to discuss our craft and have the same amount of continuous contribution like the Photography, Dressing Better, (insert skin color) Women Appreciation threads. Not quite ready to give up hope on this just yet.

The majority of the times these threads never go anywhere.
Hopefully this one stays around.  Could be good for some of NT members trying to do something by networking or hearing advice or tips and past war stories.  

The majority of the times these threads never go anywhere.
Hopefully this one stays around.  Could be good for some of NT members trying to do something by networking or hearing advice or tips and past war stories.  
this!
Didn't even know about this thread
laugh.gif
mean.gif
. Maybe a merger is in order?

I been DJing for about 5 years now.
Im just now trying to get into the whole producing/recording thing

Me and my friend produced this track originally for A$AP, but Yams instead sent it to Joey Fatts who then gave it to Aston.

Last edited:
I really want to get into being a DJ (yes, i know so does everyone else) but I enjoy listening to music and I think being a DJ would be a great hobby to start in the new year. The only problem is I have no idea where to even start. I have no idea what type of software or hardware I should get. Any help would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/callmesid

I'm ok at making beats, I need to learn how to sample.

you could use the motu bpm to sample. that's what I use. it's probably the cheapest DAW out there. the price is under 300$. you could use it as a standalone or a plug in ( i use it as a standalone). and buy a midi controller with it ( either an mpd 18, 26, or 32). the reason why I like it so much is because it is so easy to use. you will learn how to sample in no time. but if you have another program that you are using, just go on youtube and search "how to sample with insert program" and you will probably find a bunch of tutorial videos. there are plenty of really good tutorials on youtube.

I use FL so I really don't understand why I can't sampe yet with all the little helpful tuts on it lol, I just can't get the samples to be cut like I want them to be.

I really want to get into being a DJ (yes, i know so does everyone else) but I enjoy listening to music and I think being a DJ would be a great hobby to start in the new year. The only problem is I have no idea where to even start. I have no idea what type of software or hardware I should get. Any help would be appreciated.
DJ equipments are expensive, try messing with Virtual DJ or look into Numark MixTrack

I use FL so I really don't understand why I can't sampe yet with all the little helpful tuts on it lol, I just can't get the samples to be cut like I want them to be.

oh ok. do you have FL slicer or edison workflow? those are FL plug ins to help slice your samples.

yea why would u cut samples outside of FL? just cut em in edison then the chops are mapped to the keys

I started DJing back in college back in 99.  When I became a teacher I always wanted to do an after school DJ/hip hop club.  I'm past the point of my life where I gig and wanted to teach anyone how to do this.  I was disappointed that over the years I had almost zero interest in kids wanting to try out DJing.  I thought high school kids would love the chance and opportunity to mix, juggle, and cut with some 1200s, an 07 mixer, vinyl, and the whole timecode/Serato thing, especially for free since this equipment is expensive.  I work in the suburbs near Washington DC and demographically speaking with as many minority and rap loving students at the schools I've worked at you would think there would be more interest.  

After last school year of having only 1 student who was into it who graduated I gave up.  I guess I'm the last of a dying breed and the art is going to die so I sold my gear this past summer.  Someone out there please tell me this isn't the case everywhere.  It would be heartbreaking if it were.

Back
Top Bottom