NT, do you use a night teeth grinding guard? Any recommendations?

So, two weeks ago I went to the dentist for a check up, and they asked if I notice that I grind my teeth or clatter in my sleep, I said no. They mentioned my options, and that was that.
It wasn't until last night that I DID notice it, it woke me up maybe three times. I looked at a few OTC guards at CVS, but not knowing one from another, or even what to look for, I went home twice without one.

Needless to say I don't have the $500 for a custom one, so i'm looking for one at a drug store that i've seen run from $20-70, which further adds to confusion
laugh.gif

Do you use one? Any tips? Which do you recommend? Which should I stay away from?!

I grind my teeth at night to the point that i wasnt able to open my jaw the next day. Started using the Under Armour Mouthpiece and that really helped.  Its not bulky and easy to fit. Only $30 too

1268kr6.jpg

I used to grind my teeth too. Get the one from CVS. I was grinding my teeth at the time because of stress from unemployment. I, apparently, was stressing subconsciously. So, take care of whatever is stressing you as well.

told me that it cost 500 for a custom and i was like, im good. THEN he said i could get one at walgreens or cvs for much cheaper.

Just get a cheap mouth guard. It shouldn't run any more than $10. The only difference is that they might not be as thin as the custom ones.

Don't try the thin ones from CVS!

I tried them out, ok for a couple of weeks. Next thing I knew, I woke up in the middle of the night chewing them like a piece of gum!

I'm using athletic mouthguards now and they're holding up much better. Only issue with them is that I can't close my lips, so when I wake up, my mouth is dry as %$+$.

Thanks guys, yeah i'm trying to avoid the CVS brand, was actually looking at one by DenTek that runs about $45 in store but saw it on Amazon for maybe $22 plus shipping, it's got pretty good reviews on there as well.

I'm trying to get it under control Krazy88s , if anything it's the same reasons as you said you were having the same problem
ohwell.gif

question? I've woken up many a time with my jaw out of place (to the point that my bottom row of teeth is lined up with the top row and I can't close my jaw correctly), is this because I grind my teeth? (I don't know if I do)....

Never fun.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

question? I've woken up many a time with my jaw out of place (to the point that my bottom row of teeth is lined up with the top row and I can't close my jaw correctly), is this because I grind my teeth? (I don't know if I do)....

Never fun.

I'm no dentist, but it definitely sounds like it, if it's not grinding it's something else that the name escapes me at the moment. I'd get it checked out if possible bro

You can get a real cheap mouth guard. I grinded my teeth when I was real young and I actually grew out of it. My parents bought me a mouth guard though and it eventually stopped.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Never fun.

it's not necess because of grinding.  that started to happen to me, i went to check it out and the dentist basically told me because my wisdom teeth were coming in my teeth were crowding and my jaw was moving.  got braces for a year+, got a night positioner to sleep with, then got tired of the positioner after a year, my teeth moved and jaw is out of place again.

What's the difference between the fancy ones with a regular cheapie mouth guard?

I remember when I used to grind my teeth while asleep and you can feel it in your dreams that your grinding but you can't wake up! Strange feeling B.

Originally Posted by CDUNK

What's the difference between the fancy ones with a regular cheapie mouth guard?
Most of them seem to be priced based on brand.  I bought a $2 athletic one and my only complaint was that it was a little too thick.  Other than that, it works great!

get the expensive custom one from the dentist where they have to take a mold of your mouth
because you may end up needing it for many years

it is better for your teeth than a cvs one that you will have to replace many times until
it costs more than the custom one

the custom ones are a clear hard plastic
they also keep your teeth in line so there is no movement over the years

i've never had a cavity
yet, i grind so badly, if i didn't get a guard in my early 20's - i might be toothless right now

Back
Top Bottom