NT Dog Owners, please come in...

My girlfriend and I have been looking for a dog, and I think we have finally found one. Her name is Cherry, she is a 9 month old Border Collie/Lab mix. Even though I've been a dog person my whole life, this will be my first actual dog.

I also have a few questions for all the dog owners:

1) Has anybody done clicker training for their dog? From everything I can tell, this looks like a good method.

2) Has anybody changed their dog's name? I don't think we are going to stick with Cherry.

3) Any general training tips I should know about?

2011-06-18_11-27-00_218.jpg

My girlfriend and I have been looking for a dog, and I think we have finally found one. Her name is Cherry, she is a 9 month old Border Collie/Lab mix. Even though I've been a dog person my whole life, this will be my first actual dog.

I also have a few questions for all the dog owners:

1) Has anybody done clicker training for their dog? From everything I can tell, this looks like a good method.

2) Has anybody changed their dog's name? I don't think we are going to stick with Cherry.

3) Any general training tips I should know about?

2011-06-18_11-27-00_218.jpg

i can't really answer all your questions, but would you really want a dog thats already 9 months old? unless your adopting it and saving it from a shelter, i feel like you should try and get a pup and then it will be a lot easier to train and you wont have to worry about changing its name

i can't really answer all your questions, but would you really want a dog thats already 9 months old? unless your adopting it and saving it from a shelter, i feel like you should try and get a pup and then it will be a lot easier to train and you wont have to worry about changing its name

theres nothing wrong with a dog thats 9 months old. i saved a dog that was about 2 and a half years old and i changed her name no problem. My only tip is to try to get a dog you really connect with rather than a dog thats super cute.

Originally Posted by dts939

Nah, you can teach a dog how to sit anytime. You just need time, practice, and lots of treats 
tongue.gif

Other than that, congratulations on adopting a dog. My next future dogs will come from a shelter for sure 
tired.gif
 As for the clicking method, one of my friends uses it and it works like a charm. They run for about 50 cents 
laugh.gif
 and as for the name, I'm sure you can change it personally. Don't know about paper though. This shouldn't discourage you from getting her
happy.gif

Originally Posted by dts939

Nah, you can teach a dog how to sit anytime. You just need time, practice, and lots of treats 
tongue.gif

Other than that, congratulations on adopting a dog. My next future dogs will come from a shelter for sure 
tired.gif
 As for the clicking method, one of my friends uses it and it works like a charm. They run for about 50 cents 
laugh.gif
 and as for the name, I'm sure you can change it personally. Don't know about paper though. This shouldn't discourage you from getting her
happy.gif

theres nothing wrong with a dog thats 9 months old. i saved a dog that was about 2 and a half years old and i changed her name no problem. My only tip is to try to get a dog you really connect with rather than a dog thats super cute.

i tried clicker training, and it worked well but it was kind of a pain to always have a clicker around, so i switched to regular and thats been fine too

i changed my dogs name when he was like 14 months old, it wasnt hard at all

i tried clicker training, and it worked well but it was kind of a pain to always have a clicker around, so i switched to regular and thats been fine too

i changed my dogs name when he was like 14 months old, it wasnt hard at all

you couldn't have found an easier dog to train. collies are extremely smart, and on top of that it has retriever in her.

this is the mentality that has so many old dogs in shelters

you couldn't have found an easier dog to train. collies are extremely smart, and on top of that it has retriever in her.

this is the mentality that has so many old dogs in shelters

Back
Top Bottom