NT Gear Heads..School Me on Wheel Offsets

I just bought a Volkwagen CC.. I definately want to put some new wheels on it with either Lowering Springs or Coils (haven't decided yet)
I seen this CC with 22x9 offset 32 front and 22x10.5 offset 46... I know the size and width... but i have no idea what the offset means
Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. I want to pull of this look with a 20 instead of a 22.. Any help would be appreciated

eqrnus.jpg

os4sc1.jpg

2zz4utu.jpg

I just bought a Volkwagen CC.. I definately want to put some new wheels on it with either Lowering Springs or Coils (haven't decided yet)
I seen this CC with 22x9 offset 32 front and 22x10.5 offset 46... I know the size and width... but i have no idea what the offset means
Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. I want to pull of this look with a 20 instead of a 22.. Any help would be appreciated

eqrnus.jpg

os4sc1.jpg

2zz4utu.jpg

damn that is a nice car never knew it existed. and i will be back to learn too

damn that is a nice car never knew it existed. and i will be back to learn too

Offset explained:
Increasing offset (higher number) will result in your wheel becoming more inset and move towards your car.
Decreasing your offset (lower number) will make your wheels more flush with your fender.

There are two ways that offset can affect the actual build of a wheel.
Sometimes it will increase the mass on the back of the face of the wheels
(like adding a spacer, which is strongly discouraged unless they're properly installed like H&R or kics)
or the face of the wheel goes closer to the middle (if decreased from a positive offset)
thus giving a larger lip.
Not all wheels and manufacturers are the same and depends on not only width but manufacturer and particular wheel.
These charts can be usually found on a manufacturer's website.

Offset explained:
Increasing offset (higher number) will result in your wheel becoming more inset and move towards your car.
Decreasing your offset (lower number) will make your wheels more flush with your fender.

There are two ways that offset can affect the actual build of a wheel.
Sometimes it will increase the mass on the back of the face of the wheels
(like adding a spacer, which is strongly discouraged unless they're properly installed like H&R or kics)
or the face of the wheel goes closer to the middle (if decreased from a positive offset)
thus giving a larger lip.
Not all wheels and manufacturers are the same and depends on not only width but manufacturer and particular wheel.
These charts can be usually found on a manufacturer's website.

Or here's a dumbed down version:

The coilover piston represents your suspension setup whether it be bags/coilovers/struts and springs
and the impact gun represents the mounting points for the wheel studs.

Or here's a dumbed down version:

The coilover piston represents your suspension setup whether it be bags/coilovers/struts and springs
and the impact gun represents the mounting points for the wheel studs.

Back
Top Bottom