NT Golfers unite: What's in the bag?

Driver: Some no-name brand given to me by grandparents. Need a new one
ohwell.gif

Woods: Taylormade Fairway 3 Wood
Irons: Ping Eye-2
Hybrid: Callaway Fusion-4
Wedges: Regular Ping Wedge and Ping 52 degree wedge
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played 18 today, could not hit the ball worth anything besides chipping and putting. But my driver and irons were not hitting the ball. But the hybrid wason.

Me:

Cleveland Launcher Comp 9.5
Taylormade Rescue 22
Cleveland CG4 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 50
Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Scotty Cameron Red X

I'm probably going to get a 16 or 17 degree hybrid so i can fill that distance gap.

I got my handicap down to a 3.2 at the end of last year, and now I'm just getting back into it after playing basketball all winter. I'm probably abouta 6 or 7 handicap right now. Today I shot an 81 on a pretty hard course, which wasn't bad considering I had two three putts and was spraying my driver.Does anyone on hear play competitively?

Originally Posted by rb vore

Driver: Ping G2 10.5*
Hybrids: Ping G10 15* & Ping G5 19*
Irons: Cobra S9 3i & Ping G2 4-PW
Wedges: Ping MB 52* & TaylorMade RAC 56*
Putter: Ping G2i Craz-E
Balls: Nike Ignite ($15 @ Nike outlets)

Here are pics:
317069215.jpg

and my push cart. it used to be bright yellow (pops hand me down), so i murdered it out flat black.
317069229.jpg

Originally Posted by pogiwun

Driver: Taylormade Burner 10.5*

3 Wood: Taylormade Burner Steel Graphite Shaft 15*

Hybrid: Taylormade Burner Rescue 19*

Irons: Taylormade r7 4-9

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48.6 + 52.8 Titleist Vokey SM 56.14 + 60.8

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

2gshkxi.jpg

300xuhh.jpg

JB415 from GolfWrx?

Originally Posted by Notorious P A C

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Edit: those of you looking for good deals on clubs check out http://stores.ebay.com/Morton-Golf_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm I bought my superquad from them for 170 bux when the driver still retailed for 499. All the stuff are legit not clones.

Funny you mention that. ive bought 3 clubs from them. great customer service. i live in sacramento so i just pick it up directly from them

you live in sac? i live in sac as well..well half the week then back to the bay...but maybe sometime we can hit up the range. Haggin is open 24 hrsnow.

EDIT: solesavage the link I posted earlier, they usually have regular R7s for under 200. I remember they had TP R7s with all the weights and wrench for200.

Anybody got any tips for me on my driver and 3 wood? I've struggled so badly with them the last two seasons now, the rest of my game is really pretty good,if i could just get better off the tee i'd really see scores dropping i think. (it sucks having to play a hybrid 4-iron off most tee's and only gettingout there about 220ish a lot of the time)

I feel like i have really good posture and finishing position with all my other clubs, and they all have great flight path and distance.. i have a lot ofcontrol over all of them exept my woods. But on my driver and 3 wood, i'm assuming because of the length of the clubs, i end up feeling really off balanceand just ugly when i finish my swing with them.. not to mention the shots are just really inconsistent, usually with a big slice spin on them. I never had thisproblem a few years ago, and i feel like some of it has to do with flexibility, or lack thereof... Anybody have any tips here on this? I've read dozens ofarticles trying to find answers and things to try, and i can't see to shake it.. makes no sense to me since i don't' have this slice on any otherclubs in my bag.. it's really beginning to get to me..
frown.gif

Edit: those of you looking for good deals on clubs check out http://stores.ebay.com/Morton-Golf_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm I bought my superquad from them for 170 bux when the driver still retailed for 499. All the stuff are legit not clones.

Funny you mention that. ive bought 3 clubs from them. great customer service. i live in sacramento so i just pick it up directly from them

you live in sac? i live in sac as well..well half the week then back to the bay...but maybe sometime we can hit up the range. Haggin is open 24 hrs now.

EDIT: solesavage the link I posted earlier, they usually have regular R7s for under 200. I remember they had TP R7s with all the weights and wrench for 200.

DUDE! im in sac half of the week too and back to the east bay during the weekends. but im moving back in the end of the month. yeah, man we coulddefinitely hit up haggin oaks, maybe play 9 or 18.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 9.5* / Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner (with the bubble shaft).... Real throwback but I hit it better than any new clubs
pimp.gif
Irons: Nike Pro Combo 4-P
Hybrid 3: Nickent Hybrid 3 iron
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Chrome 56* / Nike SV 52*/ Cleveland Tour Action 900 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum

I usually play a lot of golf in the spring, summer, and early fall but haven't had the chance to play that much so far. Hopefully that will change. Lastsummer I got down to a 6 handicap. My dream would be to get to about a 2 or 3 handicap, but I probably don't practice enough for that to happen
ohwell.gif

you live in sac? i live in sac as well..well half the week then back to the bay...but maybe sometime we can hit up the range. Haggin is open 24 hrs now.

EDIT: solesavage the link I posted earlier, they usually have regular R7s for under 200. I remember they had TP R7s with all the weights and wrench for 200.

DUDE! im in sac half of the week too and back to the east bay during the weekends. but im moving back in the end of the month. yeah, man we could definitely hit up haggin oaks, maybe play 9 or 18.

recommend me some courses out in the east bay. I stay in richmond so there are no courses besides one country club and you gotta pay membership fee. whenIm in the bay all I go play is at tilden park in berkeley. 7 bucks for 18 holes after 5 PM in the summer
pimp.gif
but you cant rent carts

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Anybody got any tips for me on my driver and 3 wood? I've struggled so badly with them the last two seasons now, the rest of my game is really pretty good, if i could just get better off the tee i'd really see scores dropping i think. (it sucks having to play a hybrid 4-iron off most tee's and only getting out there about 220ish a lot of the time)

I feel like i have really good posture and finishing position with all my other clubs, and they all have great flight path and distance.. i have a lot of control over all of them exept my woods. But on my driver and 3 wood, i'm assuming because of the length of the clubs, i end up feeling really off balance and just ugly when i finish my swing with them.. not to mention the shots are just really inconsistent, usually with a big slice spin on them. I never had this problem a few years ago, and i feel like some of it has to do with flexibility, or lack thereof... Anybody have any tips here on this? I've read dozens of articles trying to find answers and things to try, and i can't see to shake it.. makes no sense to me since i don't' have this slice on any other clubs in my bag.. it's really beginning to get to me..
frown.gif

go get them fitted...it doesn't cost much and makes a HUGE difference. as far as slicing goes, i used to have this problem. i just went to thedriving range and would hit tons of balls with my driver/3-wood and try too hook them, not worrying about where the ball was going. i also tried turning thegrip slightly, counter-clockwise, whereas when i addressed the ball, the club head was turned in towards me a little bit and just concentrated on kinda rollingmy wrist thru the ball. i don't know man, that worked for me. getting off the tee does wonders for your score/game.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Anybody got any tips for me on my driver and 3 wood? I've struggled so badly with them the last two seasons now, the rest of my game is really pretty good, if i could just get better off the tee i'd really see scores dropping i think. (it sucks having to play a hybrid 4-iron off most tee's and only getting out there about 220ish a lot of the time)

I feel like i have really good posture and finishing position with all my other clubs, and they all have great flight path and distance.. i have a lot of control over all of them exept my woods. But on my driver and 3 wood, i'm assuming because of the length of the clubs, i end up feeling really off balance and just ugly when i finish my swing with them.. not to mention the shots are just really inconsistent, usually with a big slice spin on them. I never had this problem a few years ago, and i feel like some of it has to do with flexibility, or lack thereof... Anybody have any tips here on this? I've read dozens of articles trying to find answers and things to try, and i can't see to shake it.. makes no sense to me since i don't' have this slice on any other clubs in my bag.. it's really beginning to get to me..
frown.gif

go get them fitted...it doesn't cost much and makes a HUGE difference. as far as slicing goes, i used to have this problem. i just went to the driving range and would hit tons of balls with my driver/3-wood and try too hook them, not worrying about where the ball was going. i also tried turning the grip slightly, counter-clockwise, whereas when i addressed the ball, the club head was turned in towards me a little bit and just concentrated on kinda rolling my wrist thru the ball. i don't know man, that worked for me. getting off the tee does wonders for your score/game.

I am fine with like a standard fit in all my other clubs though.. you think they'd adjust them that much even, if i'm of average height and whatnot?

I'm gonna try the "trying to hook" thing at the range next time... i make really solid contact with the ball, it's obvious i'm justnot squaring up to it on contact, so maybe it's more fit than i want to believe.

Anyways -thanks for the tips man, i'm gonna see about that fitting.

like i said, club fitting makes a huge difference. you can also have them check your swing speed to make sure you're using the right shaft foryour swing.

after working on what i did, i was eventually able to get rid of my slice and have not had to turn to turning the club slightly. i can even draw the ball alittle if i want to. another reason why people slice is that their arms/hands get too far away from their body and the swing is almost"over-the-top." if that's your problem, you can also try the glove under your armpit drill, but that's tough to do and takes lots of swingsto get used to.

but let's not get ahead of ourselves, i'm not real good, but i can hold my own...those are just some things i did to help myself.

i just got into golf so i went to goodwill and copped a driver for 2.99
laugh.gif
just to hit up the range and see if i like it
and the first time i went i loved it
golf is
pimp.gif

frown.gif

go get them fitted...it doesn't cost much and makes a HUGE difference. as far as slicing goes, i used to have this problem. i just went to the driving range and would hit tons of balls with my driver/3-wood and try too hook them, not worrying about where the ball was going. i also tried turning the grip slightly, counter-clockwise, whereas when i addressed the ball, the club head was turned in towards me a little bit and just concentrated on kinda rolling my wrist thru the ball. i don't know man, that worked for me. getting off the tee does wonders for your score/game.

I am fine with like a standard fit in all my other clubs though.. you think they'd adjust them that much even, if i'm of average height and what not?

I'm gonna try the "trying to hook" thing at the range next time... i make really solid contact with the ball, it's obvious i'm just not squaring up to it on contact, so maybe it's more fit than i want to believe.

Anyways -thanks for the tips man, i'm gonna see about that fitting.

Check your grip. if youre right handed, make sure you see 2 or even 3 knuckles on your left hand at address. and roll those wrists

Set: Wilson graphite shaft that I've had a couple of years...need to upgrade and fathers day is right around the corner
smile.gif

Putter: Bargain bin $20 job
Ball: Nike Juiced
Handicap: Myself

damn, i get no luv from some of you fools?! i KNOW i practically built one of your bags... damn... i spill mad knowledge the past couple years and no dap...

My handicap is around a 12. The league im in has me at a 4 for 9 holes but their system is way off. Between school and work haven't been able to get out that much. Any NTer's have the G10??
i had the g10. great driver for a decent price. its pretty long, it hits way higher than the loft stated and is actually lofted at least 1.5*higher then what's stamped on the head. pretty low spin, but i had to drop a $300 shaft in it to knuckleball my drives in the air. hitting it 280yards intoa 3 club wind is always nice... droppin 320+ with a 3 club backwind is equally as nice... but i've moved on. i found something that hits equally as long asis infinitely straighter than the g10....
im not about spending a ton on fairway woods, because there isnt much difference between new models and year old models.
you don't have to spend a ton to get a solid fairway wood. my fairway wood heads were dirt cheap.. shafts on the otherhand (which really iswhat matters as you should know judging by your index)....

Where can I find the R7 Driver for less than $200?
which r7 solesavage? og 400cc r7? 425 r7? 460 r7? superquad r7? and when we gonna go play or at least hit up the range...

k0betw0- Whats up. I am looking for a 460 R7, preferablly 9.5*

You tell me mayne, I finally got out this past weekend....played at Westridge in La Habra down the street from my house. Beautiful course, but tough. Fairwaysare toothpicks.

Are you still working at Roger Dunn Range off Ball?

I want to get a new set of clubs for a good price, with fitting before I get back into playing.

and i'm looking to get a new driver...i've been hitting a 10.5 for years. i hit it pretty good (260-280 fairly consistently.) time to go to a 9.5, ithink? i've heard it's kind of a big step to do that, meaning more difficult. but then i've also been told that i would be fine...thoughts?

and i'm looking to get a new driver...i've been hitting a 10.5 for years. i hit it pretty good (260-280 fairly consistently.) time to go to a 9.5, i think? i've heard it's kind of a big step to do that, meaning more difficult. but then i've also been told that i would be fine...thoughts?

im sure other people have different opinions, but im of the school of thought "if it aint broke dont fix it". If youre crushing the ball 270consistently down the pipe, why mess up a good thing? to squeeze out an extra 10-15 yards? Driving a golf ball is like hitting/throwing a baseball. Everyguy thinks he can hit a 300 yard drive (just like just about every guy I know thinks he can throw a baseball 70MPH or he can hit 70MPH batting cages withease). I have played with very few dudes who can consistently get it out there 270+ on an average day. I mean yea... I can hit a 320 yard drive when I'mhitting off the deck from an elevated tee box with a 15MPH backwind, but on a normal hole with normal wind I'm topping out at 240-250.

If you are deadset on going with the 9.5, I would keep that 10.5 in the bag and drop a fairway wood or extra wedge out for a round or two. If your boys dontcare and let you carry 200 clubs in your bag, dont drop any clubs and carry 2 drivers. That way if the 9.5 is giving you fits, you can always swap back toyour consistent club. Ive never consistently played any driver less than a 10.5. In fact, for about a year I was playing with a 13* senior shaft cut down to42.5" with lead tape to fix the weighting. You better believe my boys gave me hell about playing with a grandpa stick, but I would go 210-220 straightdown the middle 85% of the time with that thing.

i need new clubs... BAD

i LOVE my driver, its a Cobra 400 cc driver (gen before the speed/flex/whatever drivers)

my irons are Dunlop (
sick.gif
) im going to upgrade next year... i dont have time to golf this year.

this is my course though... The Glen Eagles GC at the Equinox Resort in Vermont
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
beautiful course... i love to play there

golfcourse667.jpg

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

and i'm looking to get a new driver...i've been hitting a 10.5 for years. i hit it pretty good (260-280 fairly consistently.) time to go to a 9.5, i think? i've heard it's kind of a big step to do that, meaning more difficult. but then i've also been told that i would be fine...thoughts?

im sure other people have different opinions, but im of the school of thought "if it aint broke dont fix it". If youre crushing the ball 270 consistently down the pipe, why mess up a good thing? to squeeze out an extra 10-15 yards? Driving a golf ball is like hitting/throwing a baseball. Every guy thinks he can hit a 300 yard drive (just like just about every guy I know thinks he can throw a baseball 70MPH or he can hit 70MPH batting cages with ease). I have played with very few dudes who can consistently get it out there 270+ on an average day. I mean yea... I can hit a 320 yard drive when I'm hitting off the deck from an elevated tee box with a 15MPH backwind, but on a normal hole with normal wind I'm topping out at 240-250.

If you are deadset on going with the 9.5, I would keep that 10.5 in the bag and drop a fairway wood or extra wedge out for a round or two. If your boys dont care and let you carry 200 clubs in your bag, dont drop any clubs and carry 2 drivers. That way if the 9.5 is giving you fits, you can always swap back to your consistent club. Ive never consistently played any driver less than a 10.5. In fact, for about a year I was playing with a 13* senior shaft cut down to 42.5" with lead tape to fix the weighting. You better believe my boys gave me hell about playing with a grandpa stick, but I would go 210-220 straight down the middle 85% of the time with that thing.

I agree with this statement (kind of). It really depends on your accuracy (how many fairways you hit). If you're a legit 270 yards, you have plenty ofdistance and based on certain characteristics (swing and body composition), you may not be able to gain anything from making equipment changes. So let'sassume you hit it 270, how many fairways are you hitting? if you're dropping it at 270 and you're only hitting like 3 fairways for 18 holes, iwouldn't be worried on how much more yardage you gain, but rather how many more fairways you can hit. That's why I made my driver change earlier thisyear. My Ping G10 was DAMN long and I was getting numbers for my driver (ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, real golf jargon) that were virtually unheard of.The problem was, the G10 wasn't the straightest driver for me. As a result, I switched up the drivers, got near optimal numbers, but ended up probablyabout 3-4 yards short of my G10's average in terms of distance. The REAL benefit was I was easily hitting more fairways then ever before and my misses thatdidn't land in the fairway were on the first cut of rough. So I would retake into consideration changing up your driver just for pure distance since it maynot even help you...
BTW, mojodmonkey1, I agree with what you say except that last sentence. There's no way in hell, I'd let my driver be hit 210 with 85% middle ofthe fairway accuracy. If I wanted that, I'd just pull out a 4 or 5 iron
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom