NT Golfers unite: What's in the bag?

Originally Posted by k0betw0

damn, i get no luv from some of you fools?! i KNOW i practically built one of your bags... damn... i spill mad knowledge the past couple years and no dap...

i was going to call you out to show your bag, but i forgot your SN.
wink.gif

i remember you dropping knowledge and shutting dudes up (e.g. when you school dude talking about driving it a mile)
i know you drop dinero so, whats inyour bag and what you got on the sidelines?

Driver: Nike SQ Sumo 460 8.5
Irons: Nike forged blades
Woods: Nike SQ #3 & 5
Wedge: SV tour & Nike lob wedge
Putter: Nike ignite putter

*if you guys have a fast hard swing, i really recommend the forged blades, its VERY easy to hit. I had the nike ignite golf set, and i had a hard time makingsolid contact with the ball. I went from 10 over to 2 over. GREAT CLUBS

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

*if you guys have a fast hard swing, i really recommend the forged blades, its VERY easy to hit. I had the nike ignite golf set, and i had a hard time making solid contact with the ball. I went from 10 over to 2 over. GREAT CLUBS

woah woah... but arent the blades harder to hit???? more so than the normal cavity backs?

Man.. You guys are talkin pretty technical... but its pretty informative, as I never knew what all those numbers meant on my Drivers and I had one set of clubsthat weren't long enough for me and everyone suggested I get fit but I didn't want to spend all that money doing it, so I lucked out and got a set ofCleveland Drivers and Titlest Irons with a King Cobra Driver as well, that I don't think I will pull out of my bag for $300 bucks from someone.

I am hitting the Links tomorrow for Oregon's first 90 degree day of the year out in Scapoose....

Cant wait.

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

*if you guys have a fast hard swing, i really recommend the forged blades, its VERY easy to hit. I had the nike ignite golf set, and i had a hard time making solid contact with the ball. I went from 10 over to 2 over. GREAT CLUBS

geez, that's a REALLY dumb statement to make. blades are NOT EASIER to hit, anyone knows that. the reason why you hit your blades better are because ofthe design of the sole of the club (the part that lies on the ground). nike ignite irons (which i actually play because i dont have ANY TIME to practiceanymore) are great irons and ahve actually won on the pga tour a couple times in the past year. but that being said, lemme drop YOU some serious knowledge (asusual for nt)

nike blades (or any blades for that matter) generally have thin soles which allow for you to cut through turf easier. wider soles are designed for playerswho cant get the ball up and combine that with a high amount of bounce on the sole will help any beginner get the ball airborne instead of hitting wormburners. so nike blades have pretty low bounce and very thin soles. if you have a shallow swing, thin soles work out perfectly for you because if you hit fat,the club doesnt "bounce" on the turf, it just cuts through the turf. that is probably the ONLY part you got correct because if you do have a fasterswing, its easier for you to gouge through dirt (or rough for that matter) from shear force and speed.

i'd be willing to bet you that if i gave you a forgiving cavity back iron with a super thin sole, youd love the game even more. telling people to buyblades if you have a fast swing speed is about as moronoic as telling people that jordans make you jump higher. if you look at the pga tour, VERY few of thetop players play blades and a vast majority of them play cavity back blades. in fact, did you know that this years master's winner trevor immelman playedthe nike cci casted iron? those specs are almost EXACT to the same nike ignite irons you loathe and i'm willing to bet trevor immelman can kick your $%% upand down the golf course with only his 7 iron.

RockDeep, don't sweat the technical stuff. it matters but if youre gonna get THAT technical and crunch numbers for your golf clubs, that usually meansyoure willing to break the bank for clubs and are looking to squeeze out every possible yard from your clubs.

I need a new set of irons... I think this weekend im going to go to some local stores and to golf galaxy and get fitted and hit some irons, and see what I likebest.... I getting a new wedge as well, and possible thinking about getting a new driver.. although the Cobra 440 sz i have now is good (hitting an avg of 280).. would be longer if i could hit my drives straight and no so much right to left.....

Originally Posted by Notorious P A C

^ ouch

Notorious, you know you aint surprised by comments... EVERYTIME someone tries to bring up that +@@##@#* in the semi-annual gold threads, I ether them withthat super deep knowledge. Besides, its better he knows the REAL reason why he hits the ball better and move to some skinny cavity backs to enjoy the game evenmore

k0betw0 got any advice on some good irons...? ive been playing for a good year 1/2 now.. (shooting mid to high 80's) but my one lagging atra are my ironplay... now im getting alot better but still got a long ways to go......I got some Golden Bear irons (JN's brand that are beginners type set) they are goodfor what they were used for.. to have irons until I got good enough to spend some money on some good clubs......

jwill it depends on a few factors...

1. your spending limit on irons
2. your desire to buy irons that will allow you to enjoy the game or ones that are a lil less forgiving which will push you to either swing better or hatelife?
3. do you take big divots or no divots? this has a lot to do about what i just ethered, i mean explained to mr nike blades
4. do you have a certain brand preference?
5. does aesthetics of a club matter to you?

^^^^ I am looking arounf the 300-500 range....
I want to work my way around to being a scratch golfer....yes its going to take alot of practice but thats my goal....so i want get whats going to cause me tomake my swing better...
I normally take a normal size divot... occasionaly I "scoop" the ball ever so often
I like callaway, and nike.. never hit any other brands (iron wise)

being scratch doesnt neccessarily mean you play a specific iron. i know plenty of people who play g10 shovels and shoot high 70s and people who play blades andshoot similar as well. scoring probably has more to do with your ability 50 yards and but getting the right irons will definitely help you get on the righttrack...

the 3-500 range kind of limits you to a bit older set of clubs to used clubs or some combination in between....

you can probably find brand new sets of either: nike pro combo tour or the nike pro combo os irons. these are a lil old but you can find them new or barelyused on ebay and toher sites for like 270-350 bucks. the pro combo tour actually set up with 3-5 cavity back, 6-7 half cavity backs, 8-pw blades. its a prettygood progression for you and will definitely require you to be on your game. the nike pro combo os are a bit oversized in club size and are all cavity backs tohalf cavity back irons. definitely more forgiving but still a forged iron that plays VERY well.

also, look for some older taylormade rac lt or rac lt2. the rac lt is older but is the more superior model since theyre a bit softer casted iron so they feel abit better. but both are equal level and probably on par in terms of play with the nike pro combo os irons. a used set of rac lts can be had for $250 and is agreat bargain for a very solid set of irons

a bit more expensive but probably a VERY good set of irons for you are ping i5. theyre somewhere between their new i10 and g10 setup. not super sized shovelsbut pretty damn easy to hit. they run about 500 new and can be had for like 4-450 used. ping clubs retain their resale value pretty well and ping is almostalways a solid set of clubs.

the current set of callaway irons out right now are very weird. the x20 is a super sized shovel. the x20 tour is midsized but still a bit chunky and pricey.the x-forged looks great, but the bounce on that iron for me causes hell whenever i play on hard so cal terrain especially since i pick the ball and havelittle to no divot. you may want to check out the x-forged irons but theyre very demanding of an iron.

a bit more pricey but could be had for the right price used are mizuno irons. the mx25 is probably on par with the rac lt in terms of forgiveness but a bitmore and the clubs are forged. the mp60 is a GREAT iron (i loved my set), a shade more forgiving then the callaway x-forged but they feel way better thencallaway forging and the bounce of the soles makes them a lot more playable. the new mizuno mp57s just came out this past year and are somewhere between themx-25 and the mp60. a bit more forgiveness but the forging on these clubs make them feel really bad for a mizuno iron. i couldnt recommend them to you honestlybecause i feel like there is no upside to playing them ovre the mp60.

if i were in your position here's the order of clubs id buy....
1. nike pro combo os brand new
2. ping i5
3. used ping i10
4. used mizuno mp60
5. nike pro combo tour
6. taylormade rac lt
7. callaway x-20 tour
8. callaway x-forged
9. ping g10
10. mizuno mp57

if youre going to check out clubs, i'd probably take that list and find as many as i can and hit them at full sized range. and spend serious time hittingthem so you can see how the clubs are when ure swing is good and when your swing is bad. my personal philosophy with irons is this, you can hit ANY iron wellwhen your swing is good, but a good set of irons is when youre having an off day in your swing and the club is saving your $## from hitting them into badspots. lemme know what you think of the list and what not...

Some pics....

I am in between Drivers right now... the 9.0 Stiff TaylorMade R7 Draw and the Cleveland 10.5 Launcher Composite w/Alida 65 R shaft. Completely crushing theLauncher BUT control is an issue.
sick.gif
The R7 is accurate... down thefairway....
smile.gif

I have been playing Ping Irons since '97 (had Black Eye 2's and traded them for the G5's last year)... love the feel...
Nicket 3 Hybrid (20 degrees) is great out of light rough
glasses.gif
The Ping G53-Wood Alida 75 R shaft- Wonderful off the tee if you not having that "Driver's type of Day"..

Always great to catch Sales at Modell's every late Oct and early May///
pimp.gif
Always go there for Driver's and Wedges.. Mammouth Golf for everything else......
pimp.gif

i'm willing to bet trevor immelman can kick your $%% up and down the golf course with only his 7 iron.

laugh.gif
......... Aint that the truth.... Pro's hitting 7irons 175 yards and up....
ohwell.gif

2. your desire to buy irons that will allow you to enjoy the game or ones that are a lil less forgiving which will push you to either swing better or hate life?
3. do you take big divots or no divots? this has a lot to do about what i just ethered, i mean explained to mr nike blades

Hey kobetwo, good seeing you dropping knowledge in this thread again... I was hoping you could recommend me some of these cavity backs with a slimmerprofile that you were talking about, i don't have a great budget right now for golf stuff however and maybe not be able to afford anything right now, butwould like to know what to look for if nothing else.

I'll even answer these questions for you, if they'll he:lp you make a recommendation or two:
1. n/a
2. somewhere in between, i'm tired of hitting my big clunky "shovels" as you say and would like something with a little more feel i suppose.
3. I take a good sized divot on any iron shot, especially the short irons.
4. No brand pref.
5. No aesthetic snob here

Anyways - if you get a minute, i'd appreciate it. Like i said, cheaper is better, but i'll take the whole gamut if you're willing to type it out.

Thanks for any help you got man.

k0betw0...........good looking out man.. i really appreciate it... yea im going to go probable this weekend and hit some irons... a local golf shop around herehas where you can take a set and use them for a round and pay like 15 bucks and see if u really like them.. what I will probable to is narrow it down to 2sets.. then take a set out on the course and play a round with them.... and then im definantly going to get them fitted once i make my selection... but yea imgoing to take that list with me and look around for them.... thanks again man , ill let you know what i find.~

Just started playing this year with my old man in a league. I suck. Just got some hand me downs from pops and my wedge game is nice but that is about it. Ineed some lessons but we are going to hit up the range at lunch. I slice everything and just need to slow down with my swing and keep my head steady ad thingsshould start going better. It is fun when you do good but when the majority of your shots are terrible, I get real pissed.

Ahhhhh

Normally Id be all up in this thread, but my bag is empty.
My brother confiscated them,
laugh.gif
he is setting me up with some Titleists ( i dunno which yet )
He told me there's just no way someone who can strike like me should be hitting my 8 iron only 155 yards,
He said My old school Ping Eye2s (that Ive been playing with since Frosh yr in College) were just to light for me.

laugh.gif
KLJ 1st reply
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Just started playing this year with my old man in a league. I suck. Just got some hand me downs from pops and my wedge game is nice but that is about it. I need some lessons but we are going to hit up the range at lunch. I slice everything and just need to slow down with my swing and keep my head steady ad things should start going better. It is fun when you do good but when the majority of your shots are terrible, I get real pissed.
Thats the key right there.... if you consistently do that you will see a change in the quality of your shots. Folks think that swinging hard is the keyand its not. Wrists cocked and rotation, swinging through the ball ( not just a point of contact) a solid base with little movement.. those are the littlethings that add up to consistent play.
Use the driving range to get loose... to practice that good repetative,smooth swing... distance will come later ( as folks know those range balls have beenbeat senseless and the "range" is not a fairway....)

My uncles ( golfers for roughly 25 years) always suggested going to a driving range with three clubs:
Wedge
7 iron
5 Iron
I have witness my Uncle blast folks with 5 clubs in his bag...
laugh.gif
.. Hisswing was as fluid and consistent with his wedge as it was with his 3 Wood...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Notorious P A C

^ ouch

Notorious, you know you aint surprised by comments... EVERYTIME someone tries to bring up that +@@##@#* in the semi-annual gold threads, I ether them with that super deep knowledge. Besides, its better he knows the REAL reason why he hits the ball better and move to some skinny cavity backs to enjoy the game even more

i wasnt suprised at all, but im sure he was.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

2. your desire to buy irons that will allow you to enjoy the game or ones that are a lil less forgiving which will push you to either swing better or hate life?

Hey kobetwo, good seeing you dropping knowledge in this thread again... I was hoping you could recommend me some of these cavity backs with a slimmer profile that you were talking about, i don't have a great budget right now for golf stuff however and maybe not be able to afford anything right now, but would like to know what to look for if nothing else.

I'll even answer these questions for you, if they'll he:lp you make a recommendation or two:
1. n/a
2. somewhere in between, i'm tired of hitting my big clunky "shovels" as you say and would like something with a little more feel i suppose.
4. No brand pref.

Anyways - if you get a minute, i'd appreciate it. Like i said, cheaper is better, but i'll take the whole gamut if you're willing to type it out.

craftsy, here are some heads i can think of off the top of my head that can be had for cheap on ebay with a small profile....

1. ping i3+ blade... this is basically the same as the current i10 line. they look virtually the same at address. the i3+ blade is such a huge favorite thatmany ping pros use these instead of the i10 irons
2. nike pro combo os... see my statement above to jwill on this
3. tourstage z101.... tourstage is a japanese sub-brand of bridgestone. my buddy plays these and theyre damn solid. can be had for cheap on ebay
4. wilson pi5... seriously wilson gets no love but these irons are a forged club with a small profile and a big cavity back. padraig harrington won the britishwith these last year so if they're good enough for him... but i would understand if you'd avoid these because they dont have the glitz and glam as thestuff above
5. taylormade rac lt (the first ones)... see my post to jwill again...

all these irons can be had brand new or used for under $300 on ebay or somewhere online... if none of those appeal to you, come back to me and i'll give usome more stuff to think of....

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Hey kobetwo, good seeing you dropping knowledge in this thread again... I was hoping you could recommend me some of these cavity backs with a slimmer profile that you were talking about, i don't have a great budget right now for golf stuff however and maybe not be able to afford anything right now, but would like to know what to look for if nothing else.

1. n/a
4. No brand pref.

craftsy, here are some heads i can think of off the top of my head that can be had for cheap on ebay with a small profile....

1. ping i3+ blade... this is basically the same as the current i10 line. they look virtually the same at address. the i3+ blade is such a huge favorite that many ping pros use these instead of the i10 irons
2. nike pro combo os... see my statement above to jwill on this
3. tourstage z101.... tourstage is a japanese sub-brand of bridgestone. my buddy plays these and theyre damn solid. can be had for cheap on ebay
4. wilson pi5... seriously wilson gets no love but these irons are a forged club with a small profile and a big cavity back. padraig harrington won the british with these last year so if they're good enough for him... but i would understand if you'd avoid these because they dont have the glitz and glam as the stuff above
5. taylormade rac lt (the first ones)... see my post to jwill again...

all these irons can be had brand new or used for under $300 on ebay or somewhere online... if none of those appeal to you, come back to me and i'll give u some more stuff to think of....

Thanks man! I had actually been already looking into the TM racs, they were something i hit awhile back and were very comfortable to me... my clubs noware actually pretty similar, though mine are bigger and clunkier... I think that's the direction i'm gonna go, if i can find a good deal on them laterthis summer.

Those pings are really nice, too... a buddy of mine has been playing those for years now, and i really like their feel. dont' have any experiences withthe rest of those, but i'm gonna try to get my hands on them to try here in the near future.

Thanks again.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Just started playing this year with my old man in a league. I suck. Just got some hand me downs from pops and my wedge game is nice but that is about it. I need some lessons but we are going to hit up the range at lunch. I slice everything and just need to slow down with my swing and keep my head steady ad things should start going better. It is fun when you do good but when the majority of your shots are terrible, I get real pissed.
Thats the key right there.... if you consistently do that you will see a change in the quality of your shots. Folks think that swinging hard is the key and its not. Wrists cocked and rotation, swinging through the ball ( not just a point of contact) a solid base with little movement.. those are the little things that add up to consistent play.
Use the driving range to get loose... to practice that good repetative,smooth swing... distance will come later ( as folks know those range balls have been beat senseless and the "range" is not a fairway....)

My uncles ( golfers for roughly 25 years) always suggested going to a driving range with three clubs:
Wedge
7 iron
5 Iron
laugh.gif
.. His swing was as fluid and consistent with his wedge as it was with his 3 Wood...
pimp.gif
Just got back from the range a little bit ago and I hit the ball the best I ever have. My dad has the same theory about the Wedge, 5 and 7. Alsobrougt the driver out so we could see what the improvements were. Still slicing like a madman but it is drawing back in quite a bit. Started off TERRIBLE butslowly started to dial it in (as much as I can). I get so worked up when I first get out there that I hit and do everything wrong. Just get my head right and Ishould be a little better. Gonna have to set the net up in the backyard.

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Thats the key right there.... if you consistently do that you will see a change in the quality of your shots. Folks think that swinging hard is the key and its not. Wrists cocked and rotation, swinging through the ball ( not just a point of contact) a solid base with little movement.. those are the little things that add up to consistent play.
Use the driving range to get loose... to practice that good repetative,smooth swing... distance will come later ( as folks know those range balls have been beat senseless and the "range" is not a fairway....)

Wedge
7 iron
5 Iron
laugh.gif
.. His swing was as fluid and consistent with his wedge as it was with his 3 Wood...
pimp.gif
Just got back from the range a little bit ago and I hit the ball the best I ever have. My dad has the same theory about the Wedge, 5 and 7. Also brougt the driver out so we could see what the improvements were. Still slicing like a madman but it is drawing back in quite a bit. Started off TERRIBLE but slowly started to dial it in (as much as I can). I get so worked up when I first get out there that I hit and do everything wrong. Just get my head right and I should be a little better. Gonna have to set the net up in the backyard.

I used to slice my drives pretty bad also. I used try to smash the ball as hard as I could.

My pops suggested that I slow it down. At the range, chip with my driver so it would go straight and progress my speed after that. Do all that while keepingyour head still. I know that helped me get over slicing.

But don't get me wrong, I still slice occassionally. Usually when I want to hit far.

Newbs Still slicing?

just a lil help from someone who had that problem in HS,
Strengthen your left hand grip a bit, Move your left thumb more-so over the top, that will help a bit
and then make sure (if your right handed) your Right elbow is not flying out away from your body, sorta like a baseball swing. You wanna Keep that Arm tuckedintowards your ribs. The Elbow should point down towards the ground not out away from the target.
When your right elbow flies, U get a swing that produces slice spin on the ball almost liek a cut shot but more pronounced.

If you can, video tape your swing and you will be able to tell how far that arm is swinging out.

Back
Top Bottom