NT Golfers unite: What's in the bag?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Newbs Still slicing?

just a lil help from someone who had that problem in HS,
Strengthen your left hand grip a bit, Move your left thumb more-so over the top, that will help a bit
and then make sure (if your right handed) your Right elbow is not flying out away from your body. sorta like a baseball swing Keep that tucked intowards your ribs.
When your right elbow flies, U get a swing that produces slice spin on the ball almost liek a cut shot but more pronounced.

If you can, video tape your swing and you will be able to tell how far that arm is swinging out.

Oh yeah I'm still slicing.
My right hand had way too much involvement in my swing. My uncle found that for me.
My backswing was way too fast. Found that out today and started to fix it.
My head was all over. My dad found that on Tuesday.
My left shoulder seems to be coming thru too much and my hands are too far behind. I also am having a little trouble rolling my hands thru on my downstring.
Lots of problems with my swing. I am gunna have to see a coach to get this straightened out at some point.

I will focus on the stuff you told me. I am a bit of a late starter for my dads liking (24) but I am slowly learning. Its fun at times, but I am such ahothead, my game goes to hell real quick.

the pro at the course I go to said i have a really good swing pattern.. good tempo.. but somethimes i get lazy with my shots, and end up fluffing the ball..then when I try to over correct is what really gets me in troube.. but im excited about the improvements ive been making... played about 5-6 rounds so far thisseason, and yet to triple bogey... played 36 holes 2 weeks ago.. only had 2 double bogeys... so its just practice practice practice;

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

the pro at the course I go to said i have a really good swing pattern.. good tempo.. but somethimes i get lazy with my shots, and end up fluffing the ball.. then when I try to over correct is what really gets me in troube.. but im excited about the improvements ive been making... played about 5-6 rounds so far this season, and yet to triple bogey... played 36 holes 2 weeks ago.. only had 2 double bogeys... so its just practice practice practice;

man who DOESNT get lazy with their shots? hahahaha playing in triple digit heat in the summer and walking with 30lbs of weight on your back will get ANYONEtired by the 15th hole hahahaha. but keep up the good work so far in 2008!

Originally Posted by k0betw0

I agree with this statement (kind of). It really depends on your accuracy (how many fairways you hit). If you're a legit 270 yards, you have plenty of distance and based on certain characteristics (swing and body composition), you may not be able to gain anything from making equipment changes. So let's assume you hit it 270, how many fairways are you hitting? if you're dropping it at 270 and you're only hitting like 3 fairways for 18 holes, i wouldn't be worried on how much more yardage you gain, but rather how many more fairways you can hit. That's why I made my driver change earlier this year. My Ping G10 was DAMN long and I was getting numbers for my driver (ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, real golf jargon) that were virtually unheard of. The problem was, the G10 wasn't the straightest driver for me. As a result, I switched up the drivers, got near optimal numbers, but ended up probably about 3-4 yards short of my G10's average in terms of distance. The REAL benefit was I was easily hitting more fairways then ever before and my misses that didn't land in the fairway were on the first cut of rough. So I would retake into consideration changing up your driver just for pure distance since it may not even help you...
BTW, mojodmonkey1, I agree with what you say except that last sentence. There's no way in hell, I'd let my driver be hit 210 with 85% middle of the fairway accuracy. If I wanted that, I'd just pull out a 4 or 5 iron
tongue.gif

hahahaha i hear ya, but i have a terrible swing so I hit short. I dont get a chance to get out much, maybe 1 round a month and never to the range. Forme, golf is more an excuse to get away from the lady every once in awhile, drink beers, smoke cigars, and spend some time with the boys. I'm resigned tothe fact that I'm probably not going to get much better unless I really dedicate some time and effort into re-tooling my swing. I think I'm going toshoot 90 for the rest of my life. My biggest problem (well I have a ton of problems) is that I have a very late hip turn and I swing like a noob with mostlyarms. Since Ive had more or less the same jacked up swing for the better part of 10 years distance gauging is pretty solid... I'm just 1 or 2 clubs downfrom a normal player of my age, height, weight, size, etc... My 5 iron goes about 165 so that gives you an idea of how short I am. 210 down the pipe with a13* grandpa driver I can live with
smile.gif

Ok, I got a question for some golf heads. I've been golfing for about 8 or 9 years, (I'm 17) But I'm about to get a new driver, mine is a no namebrand and I hit it nice, about 200-225 with steady wind. It is a 10.5* loft, so I want to stick with that. I am leaning toward the Taylormade Burner, or theCallaway FT-i.

I will hit both before I buy, but I want some pros/cons on each club from people that own them and like/dislike them.

Thanks NT!!
smile.gif

Today i had a tournament and shot 76. I was killing my driver, but I had three 3-putts and a 4-putt, so that was very frustrating, because the winner shot 71and I could have been right there. Right now I'm experimenting with a Superquad, anybody else have it? Likes/dislikes?

76 with 3 3-putts and a 4-putt? geez... you must've been hitting every damn green man... nice round, by the sounds of it.

Originally Posted by joegolfdad

Today i had a tournament and shot 76. I was killing my driver, but I had three 3-putts and a 4-putt, so that was very frustrating, because the winner shot 71 and I could have been right there. Right now I'm experimenting with a Superquad, anybody else have it? Likes/dislikes?
superquad... another bajillion reiteration of a 460cc r7 with at least 4 mwt. nothing but a marketing ploy by taylormade because they could have EASILywent from the original 400cc r7 to the 460 r7 2 years later instead of going with a 425cc to the 2 port 460cc r7. not to mention, it overspins for me and istill need about a $600 dollar shaft ON TOP of the 8.5* loft + the lowest spinning premium ball on the planet before i can get it to perform decently.

what do i like about it? its all black including the face so you can see everytime where you hit it on the face. the mwt technology actually works. if you getthe first edition tp version it had a super cool headcover. other then that, it's average. high spin head, not very fast ball speeds off the club face. notvery forgiving (in comparison to what else is on the market). overpriced. but based on your scoring, it's working for you so i'd keep using it...

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

Ok, I got a question for some golf heads. I've been golfing for about 8 or 9 years, (I'm 17) But I'm about to get a new driver, mine is a no name brand and I hit it nice, about 200-225 with steady wind. It is a 10.5* loft, so I want to stick with that. I am leaning toward the Taylormade Burner, or the Callaway FT-i.

I will hit both before I buy, but I want some pros/cons on each club from people that own them and like/dislike them.

Thanks NT!!
smile.gif

theyre both legit products. i actually prefer the taylormade burner over the ft-i even though i LOVE callaway and despise taylormade / adidas. burner ischeaper, minimally less forgiving. ft-i sounds cooler at impact. callaway stand behind their product a thousand times over taylormade. but for what its worth,i actually bought the ft-i at one point and never paid for a burner. if you want a square driver, i'd pick the new nike sumo2 5900. the new one isINFINITELY better than last years and produces GREAT results and is similarly priced to the ft-i brand new. if cost is a factor, id buy the burner... the ft-ias a square driver is much too small for a square shaped driver, if you actually look at the face area when you compare it to another square driver (or almostany other driver for that matter), the surface area for contact looks ridiculously small compared to the other drivers and you're almost like "@++$ ihave that little area to get contact with the face? let alone hitting it in the center?" that alone will create a mental block EVEN THOUGH the hittingzone of the ft-i is equal in area to other drivers...

let me know what youre thinkin after you read that and i can direct you in other avenues if need be...

so, kobetwo....back to the question at hand...whats in your bag. i know you got a lot of equipment, but what would you take to the course if you were trying toqualify for the U.S. Open?

Originally Posted by Notorious P A C

so, kobetwo....back to the question at hand...whats in your bag. i know you got a lot of equipment, but what would you take to the course if you were trying to qualify for the U.S. Open?

fine fine you win... here's my bag. i changed up my irons merely cuz i literally do not have time to go to the range so i bought irons to ensure my ballgoes exactly to where i want....

driver: nike sumo2 5900 8.5* with matrix ozik f7m2

3wood: nike sasquatch2 15* with accra sc75

5 wood: adams insight bul 18* with mitsubishi rayon diamana blueboard 83s

4-pw: nike ignite irons (hahahaha these are such sleeper irons it's not even funny, ive taken WAY TOO MANY PEOPLES money with $300 dollar clubs)

gw: same ole taylormade rac tp 52*

sw: titleist spin-milled vokey 56*

lw: callaway x-forged c-grind .md. grooved 60*

putter: taylormade spider

my scotty cameron has been behaving badly so it's been sittin in my closet for the past 2 months and i refuse to play with the set of miuras that havemy name on them at my pro shop. i cant stomach the idea of going out and just playing with ZERO range time and swinging $1300 set of irons...

some people get too caught up in clubs. the best golfer i know plays old mizuno blades and still uses a 975 driver and a 10 year old burner 3 wood. if you aregood, it truly doesnt make a huge difference in what you are playing

Anyone have general tips for a newbie? I'm starting my 2nd year of playing (only played a few 9's and one 18 last year). Went to the range for thefirst time this year today. I think my main problem is that I try to kill it all the time. Then, near the end, I tried to hit some 50 yarders, and by slowingdown and pretty much just letting the club "fall" and barely putting any force behind my swing, I hit it the cleanest and straightest I had hit allday =/. That was with the wedge, though. I dunno if that's applicable to the irons. My other problem is that I can hook it pretty bad sometimes. But when Irelaxed like I just said, the hook went away. Maybe I just gotta ease up a little bit.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

some people get too caught up in clubs. the best golfer i know plays old mizuno blades and still uses a 975 driver and a 10 year old burner 3 wood. if you are good, it truly doesnt make a huge difference in what you are playing

yeah you right. afterall, pga pros keep the same clubs forever and don't change clubs as often as they change underwear.... perhaps you should drop by apga event on a tuesday afternoon.... all the top pros have about 4 drivers in their bag during practice rounds... and 3 woods are a completely differentanimal. anyone knows if you find a fairway wood that you hit well you keep it for the rest of your life. just ask freddy couples, up until this year he had thesame callaway s2h2 warbird 3 wood for about the past 10+ years.... irons are pretty similar too. if i actually had time, id still be playing my mizuno mp60s;afterall i only had them built to my perfect spec...
plus wouldnt it make sense that you are good, it WOULD make a difference since every single freaking yard makes a difference if every good playeraverages a swingspeed of 110-125mph with a driver? i assume ure talking about the 975d driver that the best golfer you know plays and thats known as one of theholy grails of drivers. but cmon, in case you didnt know, the 97 in 975 stands for what year it was made. that means that driver was made over a decade ago.the 975d doesnt even have the maximum cor limit on the face, let alone the full amount of foregiveness. dude's obviously good if he can play that driver sohe probably doesn't need the forgiveness but to be hitting a club without even giving himself the opportunity to maximize his distance potential with the"big dawg" is downright dumb. even tiger woods admits, if he hits a persimmon wood, he's losing at least 15 yards compared to his current gamerwhich he also admits isnt maximizing his total distance potential. i'd be willing to bet if your buddy got fitted by a legitimate club maker, he'd gainAT LEAST 15 yards off the teebox.

edit: inyonostril, sorry if this came off a bit too harsh, i wasnt trying to call you out but i was just bringing up some contrasting opinions / facts thati've seen and discussed from hanging out a bit too much at the pro shop and at tournaments talking to pga, lpga, and euro tour players as well as industryexecs of every major club brand and a few shaft manufacturers... but hey what do i know?

some people get too caught up in clubs. the best golfer i know plays old mizuno blades and still uses a 975 driver and a 10 year old burner 3 wood. if you are good, it truly doesnt make a huge difference in what you are playing

yeah you right. afterall, pga pros keep the same clubs forever and don't change clubs as often as they change underwear.... perhaps you should drop by a pga event on a tuesday afternoon.... all the top pros have about 4 drivers in their bag during practice rounds... and 3 woods are a completely different animal. anyone knows if you find a fairway wood that you hit well you keep it for the rest of your life. just ask freddy couples, up until this year he had the same callaway s2h2 warbird 3 wood for about the past 10+ years.... irons are pretty similar too. if i actually had time, id still be playing my mizuno mp60s; afterall i only had them built to my perfect spec...
plus wouldnt it make sense that you are good, it WOULD make a difference since every single freaking yard makes a difference if every good player averages a swingspeed of 110-125mph with a driver? i assume ure talking about the 975d driver that the best golfer you know plays and thats known as one of the holy grails of drivers. but cmon, in case you didnt know, the 97 in 975 stands for what year it was made. that means that driver was made over a decade ago. the 975d doesnt even have the maximum cor limit on the face, let alone the full amount of foregiveness. dude's obviously good if he can play that driver so he probably doesn't need the forgiveness but to be hitting a club without even giving himself the opportunity to maximize his distance potential with the "big dawg" is downright dumb. even tiger woods admits, if he hits a persimmon wood, he's losing at least 15 yards compared to his current gamer which he also admits isnt maximizing his total distance potential. i'd be willing to bet if your buddy got fitted by a legitimate club maker, he'd gain AT LEAST 15 yards off the teebox.

edit: inyonostril, sorry if this came off a bit too harsh, i wasnt trying to call you out but i was just bringing up some contrasting opinions / facts that i've seen and discussed from hanging out a bit too much at the pro shop and at tournaments talking to pga, lpga, and euro tour players as well as industry execs of every major club brand and a few shaft manufacturers... but hey what do i know?

my buddy doesnt need to get fitted by a clubmaker. ive seen him use new clubs. same result. straight and accurate. the dude shoots under par regardless andplayed for a top d1 team. but yeah hes "dumb" for playing a 975. averaging around 300 is never dumb. it works for him. thats all im saying.

ill give you persimmon. but someone like tiger woods could be using a 983 and still be hitting around the same distance as whatever garbage nike driver hesusing now.

with all your knowledge i assume your handicap has a + in front it?

and pga players dont use the same equipment that you buy at golfsmith or wherever. it might look the same but its not. driver technology doesnt change much.its just marketed that way.

yeah you right. afterall, pga pros keep the same clubs forever and don't change clubs as often as they change underwear.... perhaps you should drop by a pga event on a tuesday afternoon.... all the top pros have about 4 drivers in their bag during practice rounds... and 3 woods are a completely different animal. anyone knows if you find a fairway wood that you hit well you keep it for the rest of your life. just ask freddy couples, up until this year he had the same callaway s2h2 warbird 3 wood for about the past 10+ years.... irons are pretty similar too. if i actually had time, id still be playing my mizuno mp60s; afterall i only had them built to my perfect spec...
plus wouldnt it make sense that you are good, it WOULD make a difference since every single freaking yard makes a difference if every good player averages a swingspeed of 110-125mph with a driver? i assume ure talking about the 975d driver that the best golfer you know plays and thats known as one of the holy grails of drivers. but cmon, in case you didnt know, the 97 in 975 stands for what year it was made. that means that driver was made over a decade ago. the 975d doesnt even have the maximum cor limit on the face, let alone the full amount of foregiveness. dude's obviously good if he can play that driver so he probably doesn't need the forgiveness but to be hitting a club without even giving himself the opportunity to maximize his distance potential with the "big dawg" is downright dumb. even tiger woods admits, if he hits a persimmon wood, he's losing at least 15 yards compared to his current gamer which he also admits isnt maximizing his total distance potential. i'd be willing to bet if your buddy got fitted by a legitimate club maker, he'd gain AT LEAST 15 yards off the teebox.

edit: inyonostril, sorry if this came off a bit too harsh, i wasnt trying to call you out but i was just bringing up some contrasting opinions / facts that i've seen and discussed from hanging out a bit too much at the pro shop and at tournaments talking to pga, lpga, and euro tour players as well as industry execs of every major club brand and a few shaft manufacturers... but hey what do i know?

my buddy doesnt need to get fitted by a clubmaker. ive seen him use new clubs. same result. straight and accurate. the dude shoots under par regardless and played for a top d1 team. but yeah hes "dumb" for playing a 975. averaging around 300 is never dumb. it works for him. thats all im saying.

ill give you persimmon. but someone like tiger woods could be using a 983 and still be hitting around the same distance as whatever garbage nike driver hes using now.

and pga players dont use the same equipment that you buy at golfsmith or wherever. it might look the same but its not. driver technology doesnt change much. its just marketed that way.

my amount of knowledge has little to with my handicap. if that were the case, tiger woods would never need a coach right? and butch harmon had zeroinfluence to tiger because tiger was the superior player? and yes i know pga players don't always play the same equipment you buy at golfsmith. but a lotof the times they do, it's just hand picked to a specific weight and custom ground and built for them... but yes, some of it is very different from whatyour average joe can get there's no question about that. again, you can discount the technology built into equipment but there's a reason why it'sbeen moving in a certain direction and it isn't all about marketing ploys and net profits. just simply bringing up a counter argument although i do haveplenty of friends that are way too caught up in equipment themselves and i try to stop them.

lefty

driver:tongue:ing G5

3 Wood: Ram G-Force

Irons: Warrior Integra Graphite Shaft

Putter: ProTech Hot Rod

I dont get out much but i shoot it straight so thats all that matters to me.

hey k0betw0 i got another question for you... right now im hitting a cobra 440 sz.... with a reg flex shaft.... off the tee box I avg around between270-290....when I hit the ball (im a lefty) I hit the ball right to left.... if you never seen me hit , and you seen me lining up to hit you would think I wasgoing to hit the ball way right.... but its such a dramatic right to left pattern that I lose easilty 10-15 yards on my drvies by not hitting it with lessright to left pattern or if i could just get my drives straight I would be really good off the tee box.... so my question is for someone with really fast clubhead speed, what kind of set up on drives is best for them... I go to the golf shops and i see stuff like regular flex, still flex, etc, and i was not surewhat would be best........ I am thinking about upgrading my driver... (pretty much my whole bag) but I am looking for anything that will improve my drives anddistance off the tee... right now i suck with any iron under my 7 so on par 4's if i can leave my self with 160 and less im fine... (on most course I playhere in oklahoma, the way the wind is, and my drives go so high in the air, most the times im hitting into the wind) so 405 yard par 4's play like430-450.... those oklahoma wind gust SUCK...... thanks in advance.

The hell did I miss this thread??

For me the bag is the same it's been for a couple years now. I do plan on upgrading the driver this year though. I don't golf nearly as much

Nike Blades 3-PW
Titleist 983K fuji speeder
Cleveland launcher 3 wood
Cleveland launcher 5 wood
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style
Vokey Lob Wedge
Nike SW

Originally Posted by Notorious P A C

i want a scotty cameron studio style newport! just to admire, not even put with...haha

hahahaha, gotta put that badboy to use?

say what you want about cameron putters (good or bad) but I am still kicking myself for ever getting rid of the smoothest putter I ever played with. About 6years ago I came across a Cameron Oil Can Catalina for like $50 (used to work at a golf shop so I would get clubs dirt cheap). Sent that back to Titleist toget refinished and thing was money. Too bad I was hurtin for money and had to flip it for a profit.

my buddy doesnt need to get fitted by a clubmaker. ive seen him use new clubs. same result. straight and accurate. the dude shoots under par regardless and played for a top d1 team. but yeah hes "dumb" for playing a 975. averaging around 300 is never dumb. it works for him. thats all im saying.

ill give you persimmon. but someone like tiger woods could be using a 983 and still be hitting around the same distance as whatever garbage nike driver hes using now.

and pga players dont use the same equipment that you buy at golfsmith or wherever. it might look the same but its not. driver technology doesnt change much. its just marketed that way.

my amount of knowledge has little to with my handicap. if that were the case, tiger woods would never need a coach right? and butch harmon had zero influence to tiger because tiger was the superior player? and yes i know pga players don't always play the same equipment you buy at golfsmith. but a lot of the times they do, it's just hand picked to a specific weight and custom ground and built for them... but yes, some of it is very different from what your average joe can get there's no question about that. again, you can discount the technology built into equipment but there's a reason why it's been moving in a certain direction and it isn't all about marketing ploys and net profits. just simply bringing up a counter argument although i do have plenty of friends that are way too caught up in equipment themselves and i try to stop them.
butch harmon is a golf coach not a golf club enthusiast. and i can guarantee that butch harmons handicap is around scratch.if i was a +3 and a scratchgolfer was giving me advice id listen too. if a 16 is giving me advice id probably still listen if it made sense. you are giving club advice to people allwhile probably posting a double digit handicap. and you cant see why im laughing? you are the one using a 300 dollar blueboard in a 5 wood
laugh.gif
. you talk about driver technology like you pure the ball every time. you donteven carry a 3 iron dude come on.dont be offended but people like you are the ones who have it in their head that technology dictates your score. you usedtiger as an example. i dont know what driver he plays but im guessing its not a sumo. his irons are forged blades are modeled after the same clubs hes beenusing for 17 years. No technology there. he uses a scotty that is made out of a mixture of gold and baby seals fur. point is he is using nothing that you or ican buy. its not a knock on you, i guess ill just never understand. the cor is the same on every driver. it has been for years now. the weight barely varies.shifting the weight has some effect but nothing spectacular.

anyway if you want a golf lesson and live in so cal ill be in palm springs tomorrow morning at pga west. feel free to come and take notes
laugh.gif

Holy Poop! What a day yesterday. Played Wildwood Course in Scapoose Oregon. Very Hilly and Wide Open..

It was actually a VERY good course if you had a bad Slice (like I do). I was making excellent contact, but when I noticed the slice was out of control morethan usual, I slowed my swing down and was a bit more bearable.

The drinks calmed me down by the 5th hole. I then had a Par 5 that I discovered the King Cobra I had was actually a 4 not a Driver and I fell in love with it.I have NEVER been good playing with Woods off of the Fairway and that Iron Driver as I call it was BEAUTIFUL.

I actually started trying to use it on my tee shots to get over zealous and reach in one....but of course Golf being the humbling game it is, brought me backto life! lol. Ru I may have to bring my clubs with me in June when I come home to visit and do a round.

The Cleveland Driver 11.5 is a beast. I tried it twice and it made a boy out of me. Definately too much for me to try and handle and I went back to my 3Woods!! I should go today and hit some balls but too much to do before the game.

butch harmon is a golf coach not a golf club enthusiast. and i can guarantee that butch harmons handicap is around scratch.if i was a +3 and a scratch golfer was giving me advice id listen too. if a 16 is giving me advice id probably still listen if it made sense. you are giving club advice to people all while probably posting a double digit handicap. and you cant see why im laughing? you are the one using a 300 dollar blueboard in a 5 wood
laugh.gif
. you talk about driver technology like you pure the ball every time. you dont even carry a 3 iron dude come on.dont be offended but people like you are the ones who have it in their head that technology dictates your score. you used tiger as an example. i dont know what driver he plays but im guessing its not a sumo. his irons are forged blades are modeled after the same clubs hes been using for 17 years. No technology there. he uses a scotty that is made out of a mixture of gold and baby seals fur. point is he is using nothing that you or i can buy. its not a knock on you, i guess ill just never understand. the cor is the same on every driver. it has been for years now. the weight barely varies. shifting the weight has some effect but nothing spectacular.

anyway if you want a golf lesson and live in so cal ill be in palm springs tomorrow morning at pga west. feel free to come and take notes
laugh.gif

roll.gif
comedy.

on the real though... you in the business of giving free lessons in socal? if you see my swing (and score) you may have pity on such a charity case. Whereabouts do you usually play?

Back
Top Bottom