NT Gym Heads...School me on becoming built

if youre already skinny why do so much cardio? hit the weights for at least an hour a day, then go run like 2 miles

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

My main priority right now is my upper body. I don't care for my legs as much because they're actually pretty built but my arms, abs, chest, shoulders...All that needs work.

you should still work your entire body, just take a maintenance approach and work on proper lifting technique before going heavy...I never realized how much I compensated with other muscles to put up the weight now I see the light

Originally Posted by tkay dot

Honestly man, getting big is all about exercise until you get to the 10-12% body fat region, then that becomes all about how well you balance your diet with exercise and macronutrition (amount of protein vs. carbohydrates vs. fat). I used to be a fattie in high school until i got to college and i must have triggered some form of ADHD somewhere, because I need to remain active, as long as youre lifting weights at least 3x a week, the hunger will follow suit, and as long as youre eating, you'll gain the weight.

My typical regimen goes like this:

Monday - Chest & Triceps
BB Bench Press - 3 sets (1 set at 75% of body weight, 2nd at 80-85% and 3rd at 90%+)
DB Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Cable Crosses - 2 sets x 12 reps
DB Decline Flies - 2 sets x 10 reps
Weighted Dips - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Standing Tricep Extension - 3 x 8-10 reps
French Curl - 2 x 8-10
Close Grip Bench Press - 2 sets x 8 reps.

Tuesday - Back & Biceps
BB Bent Row - 3 sets x 10 reps @ 135 lbs
Seated Row - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Lat Pulldown - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Chin Ups - 2 sets x 5 reps
Hammer Curls - 2 sets x 5 reps each arm
EZ Bar Preachers Curls - 2 sets x 8 reps

Wednesday - Shoulders & Legs
Military Press - 3 x 8-12reps
Arnolds - 2 x 6-10 reps
DB Lateral Raises - 3 x 8-12 reps
DB Reverse Flies - 3 x 8- 12
Standing Row - 2 x 10 reps
DB Shrugs - 3 x rep to fatigue
BB Squat - 3 x 10 reps
DB Lounges - 3 x 5 reps per leg
Romanian Deadlifts - 3 x 5 reps (meant to be a heavy weight exercise,... learn the form before adding weights, much pressure on the lower back)
Leg Press - 3x10reps
Leg Extension - 2 x 8-12 reps
Leg Curl - 2 x 8 - 12 reps

Thursday is my cardio day, i usually aim to
Run 2 miles in 15:00 or less
Row 3500 meters in 15:00 or less
Climb 1500 ft (Versaclimber) or .75 miles (stairmaster) in 15:00 or less
Taking 7:30 break or less between the exercises

Friday I go back in for a full body + Core work out that I do compound exercises for each muscle group, usually consisting of
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Dips
Squats
Deadlifts
Hyperextensions,
Roman Chair Leg Lifts
Exercise Ball Hip Raises & Crunches

.......and I swim 1500m every day on top of all that.
I would suggest that that's way too many exercises.

I'm totally with Club29 in this. I started lifting seriously in October after a good few years off and I've never had such an efficient programme. I only do 2 or 3 exercises each day - and 2 or 3 days per week.

Everything is 5 x 5 - 5 sets of 5 reps. I do either squats or deadlift each time - alternating - with either a bench press, shoulder press or pullups. It takes me about 60 - 90 mins to get through - it doesn't sound a lot but because I can only barely do 5 reps it's really tough and you need 2 or 3 mins rest between each set.

I was amazed at how much strength and size I gained by Christmas and it's still going. As soon as I can do 5 reps I add more weight - so next time usually get only 3 or 4 for a week or so before I increase it again.

It's tough - but that's the point of lifting isn't it?

I see guys doing tons of different exercises when I am doing my 1 - but they seem like they're hardly working - they've exercised the same muscle 4 different ways but are hardly sweating - I do 1 and I can hardly move.

Originally Posted by Sputnik

if youre already skinny why do so much cardio? hit the weights for at least an hour a day, then go run like 2 miles

I feel like getting my heart pumping would feel good because I've been smoking cigarettes straight for a year and a half. I haven't smoked one since yesterday morning and it actually isn't that hard to resist.

How many pounds should a beginner start lifting?

Honestly man, getting big is all about exercise until you get to the 10-12% body fat region, then that becomes all about how well you balance your diet with exercise and macronutrition (amount of protein vs. carbohydrates vs. fat). I used to be a fattie in high school until i got to college and i must have triggered some form of ADHD somewhere, because I need to remain active, as long as youre lifting weights at least 3x a week, the hunger will follow suit, and as long as youre eating, you'll gain the weight.

My typical regimen goes like this:

Monday - Chest & Triceps
BB Bench Press - 3 sets (1 set at 75% of body weight, 2nd at 80-85% and 3rd at 90%+)
DB Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Cable Crosses - 2 sets x 12 reps
DB Decline Flies - 2 sets x 10 reps
Weighted Dips - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Standing Tricep Extension - 3 x 8-10 reps
French Curl - 2 x 8-10
Close Grip Bench Press - 2 sets x 8 reps.

Tuesday - Back & Biceps
BB Bent Row - 3 sets x 10 reps @ 135 lbs
Seated Row - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Lat Pulldown - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Chin Ups - 2 sets x 5 reps
Hammer Curls - 2 sets x 5 reps each arm
EZ Bar Preachers Curls - 2 sets x 8 reps

Wednesday - Shoulders & Legs
Military Press - 3 x 8-12reps
Arnolds - 2 x 6-10 reps
DB Lateral Raises - 3 x 8-12 reps
DB Reverse Flies - 3 x 8- 12
Standing Row - 2 x 10 reps
DB Shrugs - 3 x rep to fatigue
BB Squat - 3 x 10 reps
DB Lounges - 3 x 5 reps per leg
Romanian Deadlifts - 3 x 5 reps (meant to be a heavy weight exercise,... learn the form before adding weights, much pressure on the lower back)
Leg Press - 3x10reps
Leg Extension - 2 x 8-12 reps
Leg Curl - 2 x 8 - 12 reps

Thursday is my cardio day, i usually aim to
Run 2 miles in 15:00 or less
Row 3500 meters in 15:00 or less
Climb 1500 ft (Versaclimber) or .75 miles (stairmaster) in 15:00 or less
Taking 7:30 break or less between the exercises

Friday I go back in for a full body + Core work out that I do compound exercises for each muscle group, usually consisting of
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Dips
Squats
Deadlifts
Hyperextensions,
Roman Chair Leg Lifts
Exercise Ball Hip Raises & Crunches

.......and I swim 1500m every day on top of all that.
how can you even walk after squatting and deadlifting consecutively in the same workout? and you bench earlier in the workout..

either you aren't going heavy, or.. nah nevermind. theres no way you are actually going as hard as you should in that workout. your central nervous system would be so taxed from all those full exertion lifts that your body would only be operating at a fraction of its potential.

and i think you have an OD amount of exercises in general (some of which could be eliminated by moving your bench/squat/deadlift from Friday to different days throughout the week, and doing them at HEAVY weight for multiple sets) but do you fam

In all honesty, you can start off with a pushup and dip routine and develop a base for your chest, shoulders, back, and arms. After you've developed more strength then jump on the weights.

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Originally Posted by Sputnik

I feel like getting my heart pumping would feel good because I've been smoking cigarettes straight for a year and a half. I haven't smoked one since yesterday morning and it actually isn't that hard to resist.

How many pounds should a beginner start lifting?
its not about the weight, its about the form.
when i first started lifting i just wanted to work on chest the most
I started out benching the least with a 10 and a 5 on each side (75 lbs total) and i hated it
if you are consistent you will gain muscle quickly, i can get 285 for one time right now, but rep 185-225
a lot of people are scared to hit the weights the for the first time since they cant do much
just dont worry about that and do your thing, everybody starts out very low.
use whatever weights you feel comfortable with but still provide a challenge.
I weight 175 right now at 6' and started at 130 5' 9"
if youre hitting chest i suggest doing bench, dips, flies, pushups, and later incline bench.
good luck

Wow Tkay Dot that routine looks crazy, how are you able to gain any muscle with that amount of cardio? You must eat like a bear

I agree totally with KDawg. Compound exercises 2-3 times a week with a good diet will do wonders for your strength. You can worry about focusing on specific muscles once you've reached single % body fat and want to get into bb competitions.

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Aight so Club, specifically Club (cuz I actually care what he has to say)... I melted off the pounds via weed and unintentional starvation. Now I just wanna gain a LITTLE tone. I'm fairly sexy from the chest up, but my waistline is so oddy-body
laugh.gif
. I feel like I look like Millhouse Vanhouten. I'm soooooo not gonna run cuz my knees, joints, AND feet do really bad with impact... so... what??? Mind you I'm not tryna be one of those beefy short guys that looks like he's compensating. I just wanna be a little more tightened I guess..

Swim, no pressure what-so-ever on the joints and a full body workout with extra emphasis on the core. Either that or an elliptical/Arc Trainer... but not as stress-free + you'll be competing against broads for cardio machine time 

This is good advice. Try mixing things up with HIIT cardio (google it)

Also, always ALWAYS remember: Your diet means EVERYTHING  in regards to your fitness goals.

Back
Top Bottom