NT help me with some BIG words!

my common ones

innocuous (harmless) "that mistake was an innocuous one"
obviate (to make render unnecessary) "my early snacking obviates lunch and dinner"
oblivious (has no idea what's going on) "that jerk is oblivious to the fact that you're hittin his girl"
facetious (not seriously) "that comment about hittin that jerk's girl was a facetious one"
serendipitous (accidentally lucky) "running into that honey was a serendipitous situation"

buzzwords and cliches to make you sound smart at work:

synergy
group-think
be proactive
efficiencies
be on the same page
it is what it is, but it doesn't have to stay that way
somebody needs to do something. you're somebody

You can take classes, read books, dedicated to expanding your vocabulary, and picking up words by reading and listen to books, publications and people, whoemploy a rich vocabulary.

It is great to have a large vocabulary at one's disposal. I feel as though I have amassed a fairly large collection of words, which are helpful in bothcommunicating ideas and understanding them.

It is great that you want to exapand your vocabulary simply for your own enjoyment. If you are doing this as an effort to sound more intelligent, I would oftena bit of caution. A rich vocabulary is just one piece of the puzzle that is the art of effective communication. You need other things as well. Grammar isvital. Economy of words is vital, you want to be able to thoroughly express an idea with as few words as possible. Creativity is important. Creativity canimprove if not outright make, an intriguing introduction to an essay or a subtle yet powerful expression of love. In the case of the former, you can beresponsible for breaking the monotony that occurs as a professor is grading dozens if not hundreds of essays on the same topic and imaginative introductio nandconclusion can earn a higher mark other the bland essay, that had the exact level of factual context and technical percision. In the case of the former, youcan tell the girl, who has captured your imagination, that her absense is casuing you dysphoria and that seeing her in person is the only cure for youraffliction.

In addition, to being creative and economical with your language and on top of having consistent grammar and a throurough vocabulary, is the ability tostructure your thoughts properly. There are many ways of doing this but generally you want to be able to craft an introduction that grabs the attention of theaudience and then proceed to tell them what you are intent upon saying and explains why you are saying it in the first place. You will want to defend yourinitial statements that are a mix of facts and your commentary upon those facts. You will want to conclude by restating what was said in the introduction andif you are feeling especially creative, you will want to link the very end of your statement with the very beginning of your overall statement.

You must do all of this without sounding contrived. Just like a great athlete playing his sports look easy, so does a great speaker. Also like a great athlete,great speaking is usually a combination of natural apptitude, training and experience. As a writer or speaker, the vocabulary, grammar, brevity, flair andorder must appear, or better yet, come about effortlessly. If that is not the case, your inadequcy it will become very clear and usually very quickly as well.You will be judged based upon how well or how poorly you speak or write. Some people will get short changed and due to being denied the privlege of extensiveeducation; comeing from a region, where the native dialect is considered nonstandard, or for some other reason, the person's ability to communicate willmake that person seem less intelligent. Conversly, there are some, who have been educated; had parents and friends, who are educated, or for some other reasonor combination of reasons have a mastry of language that makes the person appear more intelligent than he truly is. In most cases, however, the dicrepencybetween the quality of one's communication and the quality of one's mind is not that great and while some my consider it unfair to make a judgementbased on how a person talks, the way a person talks is often times a fairly accurate proxy for intelligence and education.

In short, build up your vocabulary but remember that there is much more to great communication than just having a vast array of words at your disposal. In isthe properly executed combining of those words, that will make your words, spoken and written, a joy for other to hear or read.

Back
Top Bottom