NT How Can I Make Myself Less Intimidating to Strangers; Why Are People So Scared of Me

I had a longer post typed out, clicked submit, the damn wizard came up and I lost it so this one will be shorter.

Basically, as the title suggests, people seem to cower in fear at my presence. I am the nicest guy in the world, literally. I actually have had friends andfamily (especially Mom) actually be concerned that I'm too nice and it'll lead to me getting walked over in life. I disagree, but that'sbeside the point.

Strangers, particularly women, are so scared of me I have literally seen an old lady fall and hurt herself while intensely watching me instead of where she wasgoing. I get it all, from the cross the street if I'm approaching, the see me coming down the aisle and stop and pretend like you got what you need at yourcurrent aisle position then turn around and go to the next over aisle so you can come back into the same aisle but the opposite direction so you'd bebehind me now, people noticing me behind them in line and turning sideways so they can keep an eye on me, the snatching up of kids and purses with superhumanstrength, and definitely the police.

Another quick example, there's this young ____ lady who would never talk to me by herself at my last job. I was I.T, and they only have user rights ontheir computer, so they actually had to come to my cubicle or come talk to me to get them to install stuff on their computers all the time. She would nevercome by herself, and never talk directly to me. She'd always bring this girl Jennifer with her and I never understood why. She finally seemed to be warmingup to me like right before I left though, she'd come by herself and talk directly to me, say hi if we ever made eye contact.

Ignoring the fact I think it's a stupid generalization, I don't wear fitteds, durags, baggy jeans, gold teeth, any of that. I don't drive a lowlow, listen to rap music loud in my car. I don't have an angry disposition or demeanor. Much the opposite, I probably have a smirk on my face most of thetime because I'm always recalling random funny moments in my head. If I ever make eye contact with somebody, always will say Hi, wave, or nod or something.They're usually the ones who turn their head real fast. Only thing I do that I guess I could see scaring some people is sometimes while walking in a storeand singing or rapping song lyrics to myself.

It's hard enough for me to meet people because I'm extremely shy, and like I mentioned I'm not in college anymore nor does my job find me aroundtons of females, people apparently being fearful of me and making snap judgements about it makes even harder.

CLIFF NOTES

I am a very nice guy
People seem scared of me anyways
Anything I can do to change that? I'm thinking about shaving my beard
Should I just accept people are always going to make that snap judgement about me and live with it? I guess I can't force people to like me or not bescared of me.

no offense? but are you black
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by air max 87

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

anyways, shave the beard
eyes.gif

no "lean" walk
no "hood rat" clothes.

then you should be all good
eyes.gif

oh and one more thing..... SMILE
happy.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Yes, I'm a big black guy. I'm about 6'0 210ish. And as I already addressed, I don't even dress hood. Most of the time I'm even out,it's usually right after work so I'd be in like khakis, boat shoes(Sperry's right now) or dress shoes, and a button up or polo.

I've never liked the whole butt hanging out look or people being able to see boxers. Jeans, I don't even like jeans and the only time I wore them wasat my last job and they were classic fits.

Big tee shirts, absolutely not, they make me look fat. I wear like Hanes and Jerzees tees, fitted, they accentuate my swoalness.

well, just trying giving someone a smile and a good morning. Maybe you're tall and it intimidates them?

I was gonna ask how tall you are, but you arent "that" big, im 210lbs and 5-9 so i dont see you as menacing...maybe its your location...hang aroundmore "urban" areas and you should be fine

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Yes, I'm a big black guy. I'm about 6'0 210ish
well there you go.
happy.gif

seriously though, it comes down to looks, no matter what in this world people will always have thoughts and ideas towards others, granted 80% they wrong butits nuttin you can do, but prove them wrong and keep it movin
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Yes, I'm a big black guy. I'm about 6'0 210ish. And as I already addressed, I don't even dress hood. Most of the time I'm even out, it's usually right after work so I'd be in like khakis, boat shoes(Sperry's right now) or dress shoes, and a button up or polo.

I've never liked the whole butt hanging out look or people being able to see boxers. Jeans, I don't even like jeans and the only time I wore them was at my last job and they were classic fits.

Big tee shirts, absolutely not, they make me look fat. I wear like Hanes and Jerzees tees, fitted, they accentuate my swoalness.
whosafraidofalargeblackman.jpg

Pretty much your size and being black.Reading the post I'm judging its a muscular build too. (swoleness)

FYI, being shy can be misconstrued as other things.

Meaning don't give people a chance to judge you. It's tough, but try to break free from being shy.

derryj3 wrote: hang around more "urban" areas and you should be fine

hahahaha
roll.gif

but im 6'2 with a beard... and i've never had that experience...
maybe its cuz im brown..

do you walk around with a grill on your face?i do and i find myself havin to fix my face before someone thinks i will attempt to mug them..

yep i have the exact same problem!!!!!

but i only have it in school. errything is all good in the hood.
pimp.gif

ive had girls that had crush's on me tell me that they were terrified to even speak to me. ive been told that i am scary and intimidating and that they arescared to say anything stupid in my presence.

smh.gif
!*++$ (literally)

sometimes i wonder what it feels like to intimidate somebody... if u scared of my skinny #!$ ud prolly run from ur own shadow...

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Yeah beard's got to go. Give it a try, a presentable man is much easier to approach.

What's scary or non presentable about a beard? I guess I missed the study about the amount of criminals with beards versus without. It's very neat andwell kept. It's not like Lyfe Jennings or Freeway style.I don't know if you know what a military mustache is but that's what I have and like apointy beard made popular by the East Coasters. It's a very common black dude facial hair configuration, similar to this but less soul patch

hakimwarrick.jpg

Oh, and by the way I live in Oklahoma so take that however you want to. It's not so bad in my city because it's a college/military town and actuallypredominantly non white, but as soon as you leave Lawton/Ft. Sill, it's quite obvious you're not in the same city by people's reactions to you andespecially in TX in the small towns between here and Dallas or wherever the hell I might be going.

my moms fiends thought i was a cold blooded killer they would tel her to kick me out LOL

I have this problem as well, its a bit frustrating. I notice it mainly with white people, and about the beard thing..I highly doubt that's the reason, mostof my experiences on this matter occurred before I could even grow one.

Back
Top Bottom