NT, How was your transition from glasses to contacts?

I'm 25, I'm finally tired of glasses, no Versaces or Gucci frames can change my mind.

I do have astigmatism, I'm lost when it comes to contacts, what do I need to do, and what to get, thanks in advance NT.

I rock both...

Did contacts in 7th grade...

Just started rocking glasses last year...

To me contacts are much easier.

I only rock glasses when I'm hitting certain events ...

Contacts >>>>>> glasses though...

Acuvue_OasysAstig.JPG

This is what I use for astigmatism.
Just go to an eye doctor and they will tell you how to put it on/take it off and how to care for it.

I rock both...

Did contacts in 7th grade...

Just started rocking glasses last year...

To me contacts are much easier.

I only rock glasses when I'm hitting certain events ...

Contacts >>>>>> glasses though...

If I would say $300-$350 at the most with no insurance.

I have a slight astigmatism as well, and the Oaysis is amazing.

Switched to using contacts when I was 17 and haven't looked back. Took a week to get used to touching my eye. I use Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism. The price depends on if you have insurance or not. Two week disposables are relatively easy to take care of. Just don't sleep with them in, rinse the case every night and wash your hands with soap before taking them out and putting them in. I stretch two week disposables for around 3 months and every time I tell the doctor it's only been 3 weeks and they say they look like they're in great shape.

I'm nearsighted. I don't like wearing glasses, but everything's like HD when I do. 
laugh.gif
 I want contacts but there's a few things holding me back like the constant putting them on and taking them off. What if the contacts get dirty and mess up your vision, what if they fall somewhere in your eyes and get stuck lol, what if they break while you're wearing them, say you get elbowed in the eyes while laying basketball. Is there also an irritation feeling when they're in your eyes? I know nothing about contacts, so some of these scenarios might not even happen. Educate me NT.

Originally Posted by VietStar

I'm nearsighted. I don't like wearing glasses, but everything's like HD when I do. 
laugh.gif
 I want contacts but there's a few things holding me back like the constant putting them on and taking them off. What if the contacts get dirty and mess up your vision, what if they fall somewhere in your eyes and get stuck lol, what if they break while you're wearing them, say you get elbowed in the eyes while laying basketball. Is there also an irritation feeling when they're in your eyes? I know nothing about contacts, so some of these scenarios might not even happen. Educate me NT.

Putting them in takes 10 seconds, same with taking them out. Just wash your hands before putting them in and before taking them out, and rinse out the case you keep them in every night with water and they won't get dirty. Also, get disposables to help with that since you'll have a new pair every few weeks. They won't fall in your eye. Sometimes I accidentally fall asleep in them and they get a little dry and are harder to take out, but never stuck. If they tear while you're wearing them you'll feel it. It feel like an eyelash stuck in your eye but a little more painful. Not too serious, though. Take them out and put a new pair in. Although getting elbowed probably won't tear them. Happens when they start to get old.

laugh.gif
1. I don't think dirty contacts can permanently mess up your vision if thats what your getting at, unless your like disgusting with them and dont take them out/change them
2. It hurts when they fall out of place, but its relatively easy to get out, it can't get stuck there 

3. It feels like its constantly messed up when its ripped, it doesn't hurt, its just annoying. I've had my contacts fall out from basketball, they didn't break, they just fell out.

4. you can only feel them for the first 3 or 4 days or so, after that, its like having naturally perfect vision aside from having to put them in and take them out

Those acuvue oasis lenses FTW. Also remember not to skimp out n try to go for off brands n stuff cuz your eyes are sensitive. Just make sure to take them out every 8 hrs or so, lubricate them and wash them..let your eyes breather for a few hrs before sleeping..so they can get oxygen . Some ppl wear comtacts right up until they sleep, and if u keep doing that your eyes will eventually become weaker ...

ive used both but i like glasses better bcuz theyre more convenient, unlike the taking in and out of contacts. it get annoying. but.....my wife hates me in glasses cuz she say they cover the beauty of my face lol so contacts it is.

Took me like 45 min the first time trying 'em on
laugh.gif

I prefer contacts. Daily disposables are nice but I'm rocking Acuvue Oasis now, last a month. Cleaning em sucks so if you don't like that, go for the disposable route.

I actually need to get a new pair of eyeglasses though

I have astigmatism also.  I barely wear my contacts anymore.  Wearing glasses are way more comfortable to me and my contacts tend to dry out after a long day.

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

get coloured contacts so youll bag all the pretty light skin @#@#

Don't. This isn't the 90's and you'll look ridiculous.

Contacts>>>>> Glasses. Haven't looked back since, Doctor will show you all you need to know.

Originally Posted by jeenewed

laugh.gif
1. I don't think dirty contacts can permanently mess up your vision if thats what your getting at, unless your like disgusting with them and dont take them out/change them
2. It hurts when they fall out of place, but its relatively easy to get out, it can't get stuck there 

3. It feels like its constantly messed up when its ripped, it doesn't hurt, its just annoying. I've had my contacts fall out from basketball, they didn't break, they just fell out.

4. you can only feel them for the first 3 or 4 days or so, after that, its like having naturally perfect vision aside from having to put them in and take them out
That's pretty good.

But:

1. There is a chance of you going blind from a horrible corneal ulcer - but, if you look after your lenses by cleaning them properly, changing them when you're supposed to, having reasonable hygiene, not smoking, not being a teenaged boy etc. you minimise the risk. There's a lot of common sense involved too - if your eyes are sore and red then either don't put your lenses in or take them out and seek attention. A lot of things can be dealt with easily at this stage and can become disastrous with a few days of delay.

2. They can't go very far - your eyelids are basically attached to your eyeball. A soft contact lens can roll up and get stuck in there - but it's not too uncomfortable and easily fixed by just pulling it out. I often have people come and see me thinking they've got a lens stuck when it's actually fallen out - I probably only find one 10% of the time.

3. A soft contact lens is ideal for sports - except for something like boxing. They're very stable and once in your eyes hard to damage. The worst that usually happens is that if you get poked in the eye it slips out of place and you slide it back. Because they're soft that won't do any more damage to your eyes than not wearing contact lenses.

4. Yep, a well fitted and good quality lens will be comfortable after a short while.

That Oasys for astigmatism is a good lens, the Acuvue Advance is similar but slightly cheaper, Air Optix fine - just monthly instead of 2 weekly.

For teaching people how to insert and remove lenses I usually give 30 mins - most get it in that time, some take another appointment (one kid took 13!) but it quickly becomes easy - I reckon on about half the time each time for the first couple of weeks - so by the end of the week it's taking you a minute to do both.

$40 or $50 a month is about right depending on brand so $300-400 would be reasonable for a 6 month supply.

Do no hesitate to switch things up. You may think some irritation or dryness is normal. But it might not be. I went from 14 days and monthly's to just your straight dailies.. My eyes just could not take what was in the 14 day variety. Either what it was made out of, or the fact that it had to be reused, I am now 6 years happy with the dailies.... With a few years prior of daily struggles.

My doctor could neither confirm or deny using "dailies" more than a day. But I have experimented around. You should do the same

Do both to give your eyes a rest. I started contacts in 8th grade. Thinking of moving on to laser surgery, but I still don't feel confident in the technology yet. I think the hardest part was honestly getting used to putting them in without blinking.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Do no hesitate to switch things up. You may think some irritation or dryness is normal. But it might not be. I went from 14 days and monthly's to just your straight dailies.. My eyes just could not take what was in the 14 day variety. Either what it was made out of, or the fact that it had to be reused, I am now 6 years happy with the dailies.... With a few years prior of daily struggles.

My doctor could neither confirm or deny using "dailies" more than a day. But I have experimented around. You should do the same
He's an idiot then. All the studies show that reusing daily disposable lenses increases the risk of corneal problems. It's not even in doubt.

Back
Top Bottom