NT IT brahs got a quick question regarding internet hookup in house

I couldnt find anything direct on google and I forget much of the info from college

I have my wireless router (apple airport extreme) and modem in the room next to me (only outlet comcast could use since Direct TV took up all the outlets)

I just bought a 100 ft Ethernet cable for my PS3 and i`m running it from my router to the ps3.

Can I buy a Ethernet Hub or use an old router to run the 100 ft cable from the router to the Ethernet hub/old router that would be in my room and then use ethernet cables going from the hub/old router into my ps3, apple tv, and google tv? I know I cant use an ethernet switch but would the hub or another router work?

That seems like it should would work. The speed will likely be a bit slower than connecting it directly but If your internet is fast enough you probably will not notice it. If you got by with wireless speeds, the wired connection should be fine.

That seems like it should would work. The speed will likely be a bit slower than connecting it directly but If your internet is fast enough you probably will not notice it. If you got by with wireless speeds, the wired connection should be fine.

will this be faster than wireless though? I assume it would be a tad but still not as good as modem to actual device?

Hub would be better so that the routing of web traffic is all from the main wan. Using an old router would just take a lan and put the old router on its own subnet and do its own routing which can affect speed somewhat but not slower than wireless.

Hubs are cheap, a netgear 4 or 5 port hub are pretty cheap online.

Hmph.

Thought this thread was about getting yambs online....in house.

Back
Top Bottom