NT Jazz heads, put me onto some great Jazz...

As I become older, I've grown into a fan of Jazz, created from , Guru's (RIP) Jazzmatazz records.

I've been looking at the greats, Davis, Monk, Armstrong, Gillespie.. etc and their libraries are like volumes..Put me onto their most notable records.

I've become more open to this great music, NT enlighten me!

pimp.gif

DEFINITELY check for "*itches Brew" by Miles Davis and I can look through some off my records and give you some other names if you want....

laugh.gif
Alright.I apologize if this is a little unorganized.....
Check out ANYTHING from Herbie Hancock when he was with Blue Note Records & check for The HeadHunters as well (his group).Check for Grant Green on Blue Note Records (most notably the LP "Alive!").Check for Cannonball Adderley (anything of his produced by David Axelrod is GOLD!).The Weather Report is a "fusion" group,but very dope.The CTI/KUDU roster is pretty dope.Bob James is legendary in the Hip Hop world (listen to "Nautilus" and you'll see what I mean).Others on that roster are Grover Washington,Airto Moriera,George Benson (check for "Shape Of Things To Come"),Wes Montgomery,Eric Gale,Idris Muhammed and so on.Jimmy McGriff was a funky $## organist so check for him.The Mahavishnu Orchestra is another "fusion" group that's pretty out there with their material,but dope.A few other Miles records to check out are "Water Babies" & "On The Corner".I don't currently own any of these records (because they're hard as hell to find),but David Axelrod's "Songs Of Innocence","Songs Of Experience" and "Strange Ladies" are EPIC!The Crusaders are dope (remember "U.N.I.T.Y" by Queen Latifah?Thank them for the sample).Other names I mess with are Donald Byrd,Bobbi Humphrey,Quincy Jones (before all the hits with MJ,Quincy was a notable name in Jazz).Roy Ayers (while he is soulful and funky his roots are in Jazz).These cats unfortunately get more recognition for the WEAK (yeah I said it!) disco hits they put out later on in their career,but Kool & The Gang's EARLIER work from about 1969 to 1973 was incredible!
Check out joints like "I Remember John Coltrane","Dujii","Lucky For Me","Sea Of Tranquility",Wild And Peaceful" and "Blowin' With The Wind".Check out Jack Bruce's album "Things We Like" and anything by Cal Tjader from the 60's to the 70's is dope!

*Continued from my 2nd post*
Ahmad Jamal is definitely someone to check for (he plays the piano/Fender Rhodes beautifully!Dilla flipped an Ahmad Jamal joint by the name of "Swahililand" and made a CLASSIC beat used by a legendary Native Tongue group).Les McCann's LP "Layers" is a MUST HAVE!(it's "Rather Unique").Dorothy Ashby is a sista who gets DOWN on the HARP!(she wasn't "Fakin' Jax" either).Ramsey Lewis is not to be slept on.Check for "Funky Serenity" and "Sun Goddess" from this man.This last group i'm gonna end this post with is the Modern Jazz Quartet.They were cemented in the legacy of Hip Hop once a certain "Soul Brother" remixed a Jeru song using elements from "Django".

I'm currently taking a jazz class at school; I wanted to take a hip-hop class but I had schedule conflicts, but I'm really glad I took jazz. There's so much good stuff, jazz is still really unappreciated today.

John Coltrane
pimp.gif
, I really like "Giant Steps"

Duke Ellington - Harlem Nocturne, Mood Indigo
Charlie Parker - Take the A Train, Night in Tunisia

actually damn near anythin by Ellington or Parker, also George Benson and Miles Davis

also if your into acid jazz theres some good stuff by DJ Krush and DJ Mark Farina

I've been looking to get into Jazz but had no idea where to start.....this is a great thread. By the way, what exactly is Acid Jazz????

Anything by Scofield, Medeski, Martin and Wood

I also like Esperanza Spalding

This is newer Jazz, fusion..

Definitely Miles, old Coltrane, Bob James first four albums are incredible and have every Hip-Hop sample ever on them. Herbie Hancock has great stuff. For newer jazz, Fourplay has great albums. Just do some searching on iTunes and check out clips but there's a lot of great stuff out there.

modern jazz, ewwwwwwww
get all donald byrd records on blue note, specially the later stuff in the late 70s and early 80s produced by the mizell bros

you gotta download some Hidden Beach Unwrapped albums...real soothing, got the mixture of old school hip hop, modern day r&b and jazz, sometimes they get kinda wild but it relaxing and good for the most part and its all jazz

Back
Top Bottom