NT please pray for my friend's family..

Early yesterday morning a good HS friend of mine was the victim of a senseless crime..Killed over nonsense, leaving 2 young daughters behind. She was always smiling, joking & a very warm person. Shaken up by this
tired.gif

[h1]Hartford Shooting Victim Identified As 27-Year-Old Mother Of 2[/h1]

HARTFORD — —
The bystander who was shot and killed outside a South End bar early Thursday was a 27-year-old woman with two daughters, her brother said.

Jeanna Flores of Wethersfield was killed after a fight inside The Franklin Bar & Grille, at 451 Franklin Ave., spilled outside, according to Hartford police.

Jeanna Flores' daughters are 6 and 4, said her brother Ettienne Flores, a 10-year veteran detective in the New Haven Police Department. Ettienne Flores said the state police major crime unit has been working on the case.

"My family is still in shock," Ettienne Flores said. "I can't believe this happened. … Just senseless acts [by] people who have no care in the world for human life."

Two men were also injured in the shooting.

This is the second time in a week that an unintended target has been killed in a shooting in Hartford. The victims in both cases were women.

The victims in Thursday's shooting were taken to Hartford Hospital, where the woman was pronounced dead at 1:20 a.m.

The men, who also were not identified, were expected to recover, police said.

The police are still searching for the shooters.

"If anyone out there knows the person or persons who did this to my little sister," Ettienne Flores said, "please cooperate with the police and tell them everything you know."

Mayor Pedro E. Segarra, at a press conference Thursday afternoon, referred to the shooters as "thugs" who are attempting to derail the city's progress.

Police got the call about shots fired outside 463 Franklin Ave. just before 1 a.m. When officers arrived, they found three people suffering from gunshot wounds.

The shooting appears to be the result of a fight between two groups of people that started inside the bar, The Franklin, Segarra said.

The groups left the building using different exits, but the fight continued outside, Segarra said. Police were not called until after shots were fired, he said.

Segarra said that he has met with Police Chief Daryl Roberts and that there were witnesses to the shooting, but he would not say if police had identified suspects.

Segarra said he is looking into closing the bar pending the police investigation. He said the managers of clubs and bars need to be aware of the climate in their establishments.

"If a situation arises that they feel they cannot control, they need to immediately call the police department" before violence erupts, he said.

Officers had finished gathering evidence by 6:30 a.m., when they began removing crime scene tape at Franklin Avenue and Brown Street. A black sedan parked outside the bar was towed away. About 12 spent shell casing were collected from the scene. Just a few feet away, puddles of blood and a medic's latex gloves lay in the road.

"It's ridiculous, it's crazy," said Corporina Roberson, a high school junior who was waiting for her school bus outside the bar later in the morning. "Nowhere we go is safe. It probably started over something petty, too."

Thursday's incident is similar to a shooting Sept. 30 on Greenfield Street. Altanese Walker, a 25-year-old woman from East Hartford, was killed by a stray bullet.

She had just purchased some items from a convenience store when she was caught in the crossfire of a shootout about a block away.

Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call the Crime Stoppers tip line at 860-722-8477 (TIPS).

— Christine Dempsey, Hilda Muñoz and Julie LaMotte contributed to this report.

Sucks man. My prayers go out to her family. This happens far too often.

Back
Top Bottom