NT Please School Me On Some Jazz.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonius Monk

Anymore of these guys' catalogs you would recommend?
nerd.gif

Only jazz I have is a few Miles Davis albums.

Originally Posted by Noskey

John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonius Monk

nerd.gif

For Monk check out "Thelonious Himself"

John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonius Monk

nerd.gif

For Monk check out "Thelonious Himself"

Dang, I've been waiting for a Jazz thread, in my opinion it's slept on in NT, but if you like a Lounge type Jazz, my number one artist would HAVE to be Nujabes.
He's a scholar in his art, it's a shame he is dead, his music will always live on.
pimp.gif

Dang, I've been waiting for a Jazz thread, in my opinion it's slept on in NT, but if you like a Lounge type Jazz, my number one artist would HAVE to be Nujabes.
He's a scholar in his art, it's a shame he is dead, his music will always live on.
pimp.gif

John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonius Monk

nerd.gif

Coltrane
Blue Train
A Love Supreme
Soultrane
Stellar Regions
Giant Steps

Gillespie
Cognac Blues
Diz & Getz (with Stan Getz)
baf152e995a923e6bfe9892fb5dae575ea6f467.gif

Jambo Caribe
Comin' On

Thelonius
Criss Cross
Brilliant Corners
Straight, no Chaser
Monk's Dream
Misterioso

With many of these you'll see changes in style between albums. The period of jazz between 1949 and 1970 was very dynamic. Coltrane and Miles especially helped establish new jazz standards after the WW2 era. You'll see them frequently switch between hard jazz and bebop to modal and later recordeings will fuze jazz and R&B grooves.
You should also check out Herbie Hancock and Robert Glasper. Hancock is a living legend and pioneer of the Jazz fusion genre; Glasper follows in his footsteps and does a lot of insturmental work for jazz-inspired hip hop. Dude has heavy Dilla influences

John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonius Monk

nerd.gif

Coltrane
Blue Train
A Love Supreme
Soultrane
Stellar Regions
Giant Steps

Gillespie
Cognac Blues
Diz & Getz (with Stan Getz)
baf152e995a923e6bfe9892fb5dae575ea6f467.gif

Jambo Caribe
Comin' On

Thelonius
Criss Cross
Brilliant Corners
Straight, no Chaser
Monk's Dream
Misterioso

With many of these you'll see changes in style between albums. The period of jazz between 1949 and 1970 was very dynamic. Coltrane and Miles especially helped establish new jazz standards after the WW2 era. You'll see them frequently switch between hard jazz and bebop to modal and later recordeings will fuze jazz and R&B grooves.
You should also check out Herbie Hancock and Robert Glasper. Hancock is a living legend and pioneer of the Jazz fusion genre; Glasper follows in his footsteps and does a lot of insturmental work for jazz-inspired hip hop. Dude has heavy Dilla influences

It sounds like you want cool jazz. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is the standard, but I've got to recommend Chet Baker. Get Bird & Chet with Charlie Parker - get Charlie Parker anything - the two albums with Art Pepper and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. My favorite jazz trumpeter, he even does some singing; check out Chet Baker Plays and Sings the Great Ballads.

It sounds like you want cool jazz. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is the standard, but I've got to recommend Chet Baker. Get Bird & Chet with Charlie Parker - get Charlie Parker anything - the two albums with Art Pepper and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. My favorite jazz trumpeter, he even does some singing; check out Chet Baker Plays and Sings the Great Ballads.

Back
Top Bottom