- NT Producers Thread: Questions for Newbies, Beginners, Starters. -

Complete noob here, so be kind.

OK, so if I were to download the drumkits and what not that Stew posted, what would be my next move? Sequence them in something like Reason and try to make a coherent beat? Or find a backing track and try to lay drums underneath it?

Any advice would help.

I've done a fair bit of video editing in my time and have played around with programs like Logic and Soundtrack Pro, but I'm lost when it comes to Reason.

OK, so if I were to download the drumkits and what not that Stew posted, what would be my next move? Sequence them in something like Reason and try to make a coherent beat? Or find a backing track and try to lay drums underneath it?

Any advice would help.

I've done a fair bit of video editing in my time and have played around with programs like Logic and Soundtrack Pro, but I'm lost when it comes to Reason.

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Any advice would help.

u gotta either find samples to put drums to or make ur own melodies...

Originally Posted by Wr

Is the ability to easily use step sequencer in FL The main difference to most people that use other programs? I see so much people say FL is cheesy and too easy and I want to know why? It has so many different functions that most people don't get too. I think people get thrown off too because you have an open sound browser library and you can easily edit samples on the fly and include them in a sequence.

yea i think thats the main difference... people who call fl cheesy are just ignorant "producers" going off what they see other ignorant "producers" type online...

thats the thing with DAWs... they all have the same basic functions... the rest is really about the sound engine and layout...

basically its all preference... they all get the job done

Any advice would help.

u gotta either find samples to put drums to or make ur own melodies...

Originally Posted by Wr

Is the ability to easily use step sequencer in FL The main difference to most people that use other programs? I see so much people say FL is cheesy and too easy and I want to know why? It has so many different functions that most people don't get too. I think people get thrown off too because you have an open sound browser library and you can easily edit samples on the fly and include them in a sequence.

yea i think thats the main difference... people who call fl cheesy are just ignorant "producers" going off what they see other ignorant "producers" type online...

thats the thing with DAWs... they all have the same basic functions... the rest is really about the sound engine and layout...

basically its all preference... they all get the job done

What programs did you guys start out on? I can't understand Reason at all. Feels like it's in Chinese.

Resorted to arranging drums in GarageBand to little progress haha.

What programs did you guys start out on? I can't understand Reason at all. Feels like it's in Chinese.

I have no idea how to use reason, that @#$! is foreign to me.  As far as Garageband goes, cop the little expansion packs.  They're not great but if you know how to mess around with the program already they'll improve your sound by 1000%.  
This is an awesome thread by the way.

I figure I'll be a jerk and throw my link up as well.  I think my stuff sounds pretty good.  I use logic with refx nexus2; native instruments Kontakt 4; Sonic Charge Synplant and a few other plug-ins that I can't remember at the moment.  I always write my melodies out first and then I pick my drums, which is the hardest part for me.  I sometimes sit on beats for days cause I can't find the kits I want
mad.gif
.  @#$@$ frustrates me to no end.  

Also, a bit of musical studies always helps.
happy.gif

http://soundcloud.com/zackbowler is my link.  Check my @#$@ out it's a little different from the sample based hiphop posted in here but whatevs.

I have no idea how to use reason, that @#$! is foreign to me.  As far as Garageband goes, cop the little expansion packs.  They're not great but if you know how to mess around with the program already they'll improve your sound by 1000%.  
This is an awesome thread by the way.

I figure I'll be a jerk and throw my link up as well.  I think my stuff sounds pretty good.  I use logic with refx nexus2; native instruments Kontakt 4; Sonic Charge Synplant and a few other plug-ins that I can't remember at the moment.  I always write my melodies out first and then I pick my drums, which is the hardest part for me.  I sometimes sit on beats for days cause I can't find the kits I want
mad.gif
.  @#$@$ frustrates me to no end.  

Also, a bit of musical studies always helps.
happy.gif

http://soundcloud.com/zackbowler is my link.  Check my @#$@ out it's a little different from the sample based hiphop posted in here but whatevs.

How do I pitch a sample to give it like an old kanye feel? Everytime I try it throws the rest of the sample off for some reason. Also to chop my samples should I use Slicex or edison?

How do I pitch a sample to give it like an old kanye feel? Everytime I try it throws the rest of the sample off for some reason. Also to chop my samples should I use Slicex or edison?

Originally Posted by FromAZwithLOVE

Probably try arrangingthe sequence of the sample before adding drums and other layers. SliceX or the fruity sclicer could get the job done. Really you should also read the help section on the plugins. You never know what you'll pick up.

Originally Posted by FromAZwithLOVE

Probably try arrangingthe sequence of the sample before adding drums and other layers. SliceX or the fruity sclicer could get the job done. Really you should also read the help section on the plugins. You never know what you'll pick up.

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

u have to rewire to use VSTs with reason... i rewire with reaper...
That's why i don't use / rate reason.
Originally Posted by I am StewRat

i double the tempo. makes it easier to program drums in FL
Always. I operate between 100 - 200, sometimes up to 256 depending on the genre.

Advice - you can never have enough drum samples, ever. Same with vsts and effect plugins. The tiniest thing can make the biggest difference. Most subtractive anaolgue based digital softsynths are really similar to eachother, and when you start basic sound design with a few you'll start to see that they're all the same, but preset patches with each one are often the starting point for a lot of good sounds, though 99% will need tweaking. The list StewRat gave had some pretty good ones.

Always. I operate between 100 - 200, sometimes up to 256 depending on the genre.

Advice - you can never have enough drum samples, ever. Same with vsts and effect plugins. The tiniest thing can make the biggest difference. Most subtractive anaolgue based digital softsynths are really similar to eachother, and when you start basic sound design with a few you'll start to see that they're all the same, but preset patches with each one are often the starting point for a lot of good sounds, though 99% will need tweaking. The list StewRat gave had some pretty good ones.

laugh.gif
i started on FL and still make all my beats double time for that same reason even tho i no longer need to...

i dont see how reason is different from any DAW layout wise... its basically the same !%##... the sequencer and racks... i dont see the big difference... its actually more streamlined than most DAWs as far layout n !%##...

and for pitching up samples u wanna pitch it up after u chop and all that... do it inside whatever program u use to make beats... just transpose the sampler or whatever... @+#!% easy

laugh.gif
i started on FL and still make all my beats double time for that same reason even tho i no longer need to...

i dont see how reason is different from any DAW layout wise... its basically the same !%##... the sequencer and racks... i dont see the big difference... its actually more streamlined than most DAWs as far layout n !%##...

and for pitching up samples u wanna pitch it up after u chop and all that... do it inside whatever program u use to make beats... just transpose the sampler or whatever... @+#!% easy

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Yep. All those synth's are basically the same with different effect processes. 
Has anybody on here delved into the actual making of synth's? I see a lot of the freeware vst's available are stuff hobbyist made for fun.

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Yep. All those synth's are basically the same with different effect processes. 
Has anybody on here delved into the actual making of synth's? I see a lot of the freeware vst's available are stuff hobbyist made for fun.

Just started out on making a couple of beats here and there.....This thread has helped alot...thank you everyone who posted tips....
pimp.gif

I just made this...and I want some criticism and see what I may need to work on....
any help would be appreciated thank you
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Just started out on making a couple of beats here and there.....This thread has helped alot...thank you everyone who posted tips....
pimp.gif

I just made this...and I want some criticism and see what I may need to work on....
any help would be appreciated thank you
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom