NT, Put Me Some Jazz Music

What's a good starting point, and some jazz records worth picking up? As of now, I've only listened to a few artists/albums that I remember hearingmy father play at home...Miles Davis (only Kind of Blue), David Brubek, and Bembeya Jazz (an African group). Any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

any instruments or types of sounds you prefer? you like the miles davis type of sound?

I'm open to different sounds. I enjoyed Kind of Blue, especially Blue in Green. Brubek's Take Five is one of my favs as well.

I wanna help but I feel my jazz tastes are way more broad than yours are gonna be.

I highly reccommend listening to some Louis Armstrong...one of the greatest musicians in the history of music, the jazz we hear today started with this man. Alot of it sounds a little hokey/old fashioned but if you can appreciate it you can appreciate all jazz.

Move on to Duke Ellington, specifically At Newport and a favorite of mine Side By Side (Duke and Johnny Hodges). Hodges was a sax player who was inEllington's band and their stuff together is mind blowing. If you like how that stuff sounds check out Benny Goodman and his band as well as CountBasie's orchestra specifically Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins

As far as the bebop style 50s-60s stuff which is what most people are into when trying to get into jazz, theres so much. Get all the Miles Davis you can,Coltrane (Giant Steps, A Love Supreme), Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Bird Parker, Sonny Rollins, Stan Getz, Art Blakey and Max Roach (drummers), Thelonius Monk,Herbie Hancock, Charles Mingus (bass)...im just rambling but theres so much to look into, research a little wikipedia a little

im currently listening to Joe Henderson - Inner Urge

Here's a couple more albums to get you started:

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings
Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans
Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond

I've been trying to come up with some albums that really got me listening to Jazz. Not necessarily the most prominent or famous by any means, but still myfavorites.

Clifford Brown & Max Roach Quintet - Clifford Brown & Max Roach; Study in Brown (I'm big on both of these albums. Clifford Brown is arguably one ofthe most melodic soloists that ever lived. His solo on "Joy Spring" may be my favorite piece of Jazz improvisation, period.)
Art Blakey Quintet - A Night at Birdland
Cannonball Adderly - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!
Duke Ellington - Money Jungle
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Herbie Hancock - Man-Child
Jan Johannson - Jazz pa Svenska (Jazz in Swedish, beautiful fusion of Jazz and Classical)
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire; The Inner Mounting Flame (Jazz/Rock fusion. Kinda dense, but will blow you away if you give it time.)
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy
John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia - The Guitar Trio (It's not really jazz, it's crazy classical guitar. On the list because of the incredibleimprovisation.)
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Wes Montgomery - Wes Montgomery

PM me if you want more.... some of these may be a little hard to find.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom