NT RUNNERS: Need a sneaker for FLAT FEET, BAD ARCHES, OVER PRONATOR..... bad ankles OK!

Mods, sorry please move this if it doesn't work here.

Hey all. Just got into running/hiking pretty seriously over a month ago and go out almost everyday. I try to go out into the woods, but sometimes I just go down on the treadmill.

A little history on me:

I had multiple ankle surgeries in high school. I have FLAT feet, bad arches and my left foot has minimal rotation and I believe I would be considered an "overpronator."

I would like to buy something that is GREAT for the woods with support on my feet but can also work on a treadmill.

Any suggestions out there? I tried the runners world guide, but they listed 8 pages of sneakers.

Keep in mind I can't just buy the best running shoe because its the best reviewed or whatever. It HAS to be functional with what I'm bringing to the table.

My ankle is strong again, I very rarely have pain. Only if I'm bartending for 8+ hours or something or if its raining so it can take the running abuse, but thats what the after run :pimp: is for lol.

Help me out NT. Please?

I run trails so this is similar terrain. I wear Merrell Trail Gloves. They are a zero drop, minimalist shoe with Vibram soles. Anyone can wear them or any other minimalist running shoe. We all ran/walked barefoot at one point when there was no flat arched, heel strike, pronation, mumbo jumbo.

I run/hike on hard rocks in them and they feel great. You feel the ground caress your feet but there is enough barrier to protect them. Merrell Trail Glove - I saw someone on youtube find a pair at Marshalls. I got mine on eBay for $70/shipped brand new. Otherwise they sell them at REI for $100. You have to get the sizing right - I sized up 1/2 but others size down so try on a pair first.

New Balance MT10 Minimus is another one for the trails.

Last edited:
Have you looked into any dedicated running shoe stores in your area? Look into any in your area and tell them what kind of running you wanna do on what terrain etc. They make you walk in your socks and look at the mechanics of your feet. Some shops have you stand on something and on the screen it shows what kind of arches you have and where the pressure is dispersed around your foot. After they look at everything they pull out maybe three to four pairs of shoes and make you try all of them on and even run outside with each pair. If you find one you like get them and test them out at home. Best part is most of these shops allow a 30 day return policy, you can run as much as you want in them but if you find them uncomfortable bring them back and try out another pair or get your money back. It's hard for people to recommend something to you on here simply cause everyone's feet are different and what one may find comfortable you may find excruciating.

thanks dude. I'll check them out this weekend. I'm currently just using some standard Pumas or Jordan IX lows. They both feel ok, but not great on rocky terrains. I almost rolled my ankle yesterday so I kinda panicked.

i don't think a minimalist shoe is the way to go for you right now. not yet anyways.

if the trails you're on aren't too rugged, i.e. if it's just a hard packed dirt trail, not loose gravel, and if you really do over pronate I'd look into the Brooks Beast or the Asics Gel Evolution.

but if you do need a legit trail runner then look at the Salomon XA Pro 3D ultra.

Another idea is to throw some over the counter orthodics in a less supportive trail runner. SuperFeet, Polysorb, Soles are all good options.

But what jrdnsrnss said about going to a specialty running store is a good idea.

where do you live? if you're in Socal I can recommend some shops.

do you have custom insoles that help your flat foot. i feel that makes a huge difference

I run trails so this is similar terrain. I wear Merrell Trail Gloves. They are a zero drop, minimalist shoe with Vibram soles. Anyone can wear them or any other minimalist running shoe. We all ran/walked barefoot at one point when there was no flat arched, heel strike, pronation, mumbo jumbo.

I run/hike on hard rocks in them and they feel great. You feel the ground caress your feet but there is enough barrier to protect them. Merrell Trail Glove - I saw someone on youtube find a pair at Marshalls. I got mine on eBay for $70/shipped brand new. Otherwise they sell them at REI for $100. You have to get the sizing right - I sized up 1/2 but others size down so try on a pair first.

this dude knows what he's talking about.

i've got multiple pairs of both shoes he's talking about and will attest to the benefits of both.

i prefer the new balances, though.

sweet. Thanks for all the suggestions. I used to wear custom orthotics when I was in gradeschool. Rubber ones, Solid ones etc. They never worked for me. The only thing that worked was getting a few surgeries and having bones removed.

I live in Philly. I'm sure theres a running store somewhere. I'll look them up tomorrow during the day.

Its all different terrain. Sometimes if theres some solid clearing I'll walk into the woods so I was looking to buy something that would be good for that, but also a decent shoe on flat terrain as well.

I'm gonna DEF going to look into the trail gloves. I think I'd like something that felt like i was in bare feet but still had protection from elements. I wanna feel like I can climb any rock even with slight water on it and feel comfortable that I'm not going to slip.

I run in the Merrell trail gloves also, and I absolutely love them

Back
Top Bottom