NT: School me on Bruce Lee

No don't get me wrong, I understand what he did as a person and he is an amazing individual. But his movies are
ohwell.gif
(from what I've seen). Its funny that you guys say he inspired Jackie Chanthough because Jackie Chan is everything Bruce Lee isn't. Jackie Chan obviously has tremendously respect for Bruce Lee and was in them as a stuntman andBruce Lee's double. Bruce Lee's movements are loose and flowing while Jackie Chan's are short and choppy. And they play vastly different charactersin their movies as well. Don't get me wrong, I respect and appreciate what Bruce Lee did for martial artists but I don't understand how he is the endall be all. Jackie Chan's fighting AND stunts is what makes him
eek.gif
x
pimp.gif
for me. And for those that are saying Bruce Lee could take anyone, hehad a real 1vs1 bout against Sammo Hung (Jackie Chan's best friend) and they had a draw
eek.gif
. That would have been an amazing fight to witness.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

No don't get me wrong, I understand what he did as a person and he is an amazing individual. But his movies are
ohwell.gif
(from what I've seen). Its funny that you guys say he inspired Jackie Chan though because Jackie Chan is everything Bruce Lee isn't. Jackie Chan obviously has tremendously respect for Bruce Lee and was in them as a stuntman and Bruce Lee's double. Bruce Lee's movements are loose and flowing while Jackie Chan's are short and choppy. And they play vastly different characters in their movies as well. Don't get me wrong, I respect and appreciate what Bruce Lee did for martial artists but I don't understand how he is the end all be all. Jackie Chan's fighting AND stunts is what makes him
eek.gif
x
pimp.gif
for me. And for those that are saying Bruce Lee could take anyone, he had a real 1vs1 bout against Sammo Hung (Jackie Chan's best friend) and they had a draw
eek.gif

You should brush up on your Hong Kong Movie Industry history. In the decade following Bruce's death, the entire movie industry of HK was desperatelysearching for an icon to be his replacement. This era is not unlike the blaxploitation era of the 70s. Predictably, this era was known as Bruceploitation. Inthis same decade, Jackie Chan was starting his movie career as a stuntman and stunt coordinator. In addition to being a stunt double for Bruce, he was inseveral movies and asked to play a Bruce Lee type character. Look up any Jackie Chan interview. He will tell you that Bruce is THE source of inspiration forhim. For this reason, he made a concerted effort to be the complete opposite of Bruce. Bruce showed strenth, Jackie showed that he could be hurt. Bruce wasvery serious, Jackie is a jokester. Also, Bruce Lee is the father of choreographed realistic fight scenes. Not that dumb a-- flying wires nonsense. I doubtSammo would have fought Bruce to a draw. Even Jesus would break a sweat if he stood in front of Bruce.

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

overrated and any MMA fighter would handle him

he made movies, he was an actor

/thread

There are times when you say smart things, then there are times when you say dumb things. This is one of those times where you say dumb things.

Originally Posted by NT2488

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

ohwell.gif
(from what I've seen). Its funny that you guys say he inspired Jackie Chan though because Jackie Chan is everything Bruce Lee isn't. Jackie Chan obviously has tremendously respect for Bruce Lee and was in them as a stuntman and Bruce Lee's double. Bruce Lee's movements are loose and flowing while Jackie Chan's are short and choppy. And they play vastly different characters in their movies as well. Don't get me wrong, I respect and appreciate what Bruce Lee did for martial artists but I don't understand how he is the end all be all. Jackie Chan's fighting AND stunts is what makes him
eek.gif
x
pimp.gif
for me. And for those that are saying Bruce Lee could take anyone, he had a real 1vs1 bout against Sammo Hung (Jackie Chan's best friend) and they had a draw
eek.gif

You should brush up on your Hong Kong Movie Industry history. In the decade following Bruce's death, the entire movie industry of HK was desperately searching for an icon to be his replacement. This era is not unlike the blaxploitation era of the 70s. Predictably, this era was known as Bruceploitation. In this same decade, Jackie Chan was starting his movie career as a stuntman and stunt coordinator. In addition to being a stunt double for Bruce, he was in several movies and asked to play a Bruce Lee type character. Look up any Jackie Chan interview. He will tell you that Bruce is THE source of inspiration for him. For this reason, he made a concerted effort to be the complete opposite of Bruce. Bruce showed strenth, Jackie showed that he could be hurt. Bruce was very serious, Jackie is a jokester. Also, Bruce Lee is the father of choreographed realistic fight scenes. Not that dumb a-- flying wires nonsense. I doubt Sammo would have fought Bruce to a draw. Even Jesus would break a sweat if he stood in front of Bruce.
Every thing bolded is basically what I said.�
Like I said, dude fight scenes are good.�And I'm not knocking him but there are ridiculous fight scenes in Game ofDeath.�
We are discussing Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan, don't bring Jet Li in this.
Oh, and you might like this.�Flying wires nonsense...

It was in Jackie Chan's biography. If Jackie Chan idolizes Bruce Lee as much as you & I think, I doubt he would fabricate a storyinvolving his best friend AND his idol. Just saying

***By no means am I knocking Bruce Lee. I respect the man for paving the way for other greats and making martial arts film a major genre in the filmindustry.***

Bruces movies were made back In Day, not hard to see why jet li or Jacky chan movies were better. Bruce was the real deal though. He created jkd. Just take alook at how he trained his body, that is pure disapline and commitment. Pound 4 pound one of the strongest on the planet. Mma fighters today give him respect.

of course his movies dont seem like much because they are outdated. thats like a 17 year old kid listening to paid in full and saying they aint feeling it.both were groundbreaking when they first released.

Back
Top Bottom