NT: School me on flatscreen TVs

If you can hold out till 4th of July, there's usually some ridiculous sales around that time.

If you can hold out till 4th of July, there's usually some ridiculous sales around that time.

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

Can you guys provide me with insight as to the best flatscreen.  Looking at 50'@!# inch Sony, Panasonic, Samsung. 
whats the difference between plasma, LED. LCD, LED?
720P? 1080p? 1080i?
Refurbished?
Budget: $1300ish
Any recommendations? Please bless w/ your knowledge.

Usually the picture quality doesn't change much when it comes to brand. The only thing that a lot of people care about is if their brand loyal. I can tell you that Samsung has had the LED game on lock and LG has the LCD game. Panasonic's usually have the better Plasmas.

The difference between the three is how the picture is lit up. Plasmas are usually better at catchy motion, a lot of them have 600hz, and work better in dimly lit rooms. LCD's work better when the room is lit up more but can have some image fade out at certain angles. LED-LCD is the best bang for your buck. Generally a lot more expensive, you get the slim design and the best quality picture imo.

If you decide to get anything less than 1080p I'd suggest atleast 720p. The i stuff, which stands for interlaced, has this weird way of processing the picture and its just
grin.gif

I would generally try to stay away from refurbished only because I've seen a lot of TVs go back, but that's just me.

Can you guys provide me with insight as to the best flatscreen.  Looking at 50'@!# inch Sony, Panasonic, Samsung. 
720P? 1080p? 1080i?
Refurbished?

Usually the picture quality doesn't change much when it comes to brand. The only thing that a lot of people care about is if their brand loyal. I can tell you that Samsung has had the LED game on lock and LG has the LCD game. Panasonic's usually have the better Plasmas.

The difference between the three is how the picture is lit up. Plasmas are usually better at catchy motion, a lot of them have 600hz, and work better in dimly lit rooms. LCD's work better when the room is lit up more but can have some image fade out at certain angles. LED-LCD is the best bang for your buck. Generally a lot more expensive, you get the slim design and the best quality picture imo.

If you decide to get anything less than 1080p I'd suggest atleast 720p. The i stuff, which stands for interlaced, has this weird way of processing the picture and its just
grin.gif

I would generally try to stay away from refurbished only because I've seen a lot of TVs go back, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Memorial Day sales too?  ESPN Radio (Los Angeles) has daily radio ads for flatscreen TVs at ridiculous prices.

if you look at LED ... don't buy Edge-lit... Back-lit is more expensive because it's better quality picture.
Edge-lit customers complain when there is a letterbox (black borders) on their DVD, etc. they can see lights around the edge of the "EDGE-LIT" LED.

Edge-lit LEDs are the super-thin design TVs.  Back-lit aren't as thin.

I personally like plasma better than LCD because the colors pop out better (black images are deeper black on plasmas)
plasmas have glare issues, but not in my house because its away from the windows.  IMO plasmas are better for gaming.
the burn-in issue is a NON-ISSUE.  You'd have to keep the image paused for HOURS to get a burn-in.  Scrolling TV news headlines at the bottom of the screen don't factor in to the burn-in equation.

Do you have CostCo in your area?  I've always wanted to buy a large flatscreen from CostCo because of their refund/return/exchange policy.  Plus CostCo prices seem reasonable compared to BestBuy.

I'd stick with the larger brand names Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer Elite... maybe Vizio

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Memorial Day sales too?  ESPN Radio (Los Angeles) has daily radio ads for flatscreen TVs at ridiculous prices.

if you look at LED ... don't buy Edge-lit... Back-lit is more expensive because it's better quality picture.
Edge-lit customers complain when there is a letterbox (black borders) on their DVD, etc. they can see lights around the edge of the "EDGE-LIT" LED.

Edge-lit LEDs are the super-thin design TVs.  Back-lit aren't as thin.

I personally like plasma better than LCD because the colors pop out better (black images are deeper black on plasmas)
plasmas have glare issues, but not in my house because its away from the windows.  IMO plasmas are better for gaming.
the burn-in issue is a NON-ISSUE.  You'd have to keep the image paused for HOURS to get a burn-in.  Scrolling TV news headlines at the bottom of the screen don't factor in to the burn-in equation.

Do you have CostCo in your area?  I've always wanted to buy a large flatscreen from CostCo because of their refund/return/exchange policy.  Plus CostCo prices seem reasonable compared to BestBuy.

I'd stick with the larger brand names Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer Elite... maybe Vizio

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

I have to say, if you have the funds, go for the Sony (more expensive than other competing models with similar features). Samsung is getting there, but it's like comparing Toyotas to Hyundais. Toyotas still > Hyundais in terms of quality, albeit Toyota's boring design-wise. You get what you pay for, though.

In this comparison, Samsung is the Hyundai? When it comes to TVs? 
puzzled.gif

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

I have to say, if you have the funds, go for the Sony (more expensive than other competing models with similar features). Samsung is getting there, but it's like comparing Toyotas to Hyundais. Toyotas still > Hyundais in terms of quality, albeit Toyota's boring design-wise. You get what you pay for, though.

In this comparison, Samsung is the Hyundai? When it comes to TVs? 
puzzled.gif

I kind of like my brother in-law's Samsung LED. The colors are pretty crisp.
Maybe a closer analogy would be Sony::Samsung as Mercedes Benz::Audi

Yes I went SAT test question format right therr. :smile:

720P? 1080p? 1080i?
Refurbished?
samsung is a good brand tv, NEVER get a refurbished one. i wouldnt recommend it but if you see one at a good price and it has a warranty then go for it but for $1300 you can get a great LCD brand new

720P? 1080p? 1080i?
Refurbished?
samsung is a good brand tv, NEVER get a refurbished one. i wouldnt recommend it but if you see one at a good price and it has a warranty then go for it but for $1300 you can get a great LCD brand new

I kind of like my brother in-law's Samsung LED. The colors are pretty crisp.
Maybe a closer analogy would be Sony::Samsung as Mercedes Benz::Audi

Yes I went SAT test question format right therr. :smile:

Buy a Panasonic VT30.

Ive been around this technology for 8yrs+....I own a Panasonic Plasma, Pioneer Elite, Samsung LCD, Insignia LCD...

Buy a Panasonic VT30.

Ive been around this technology for 8yrs+....I own a Panasonic Plasma, Pioneer Elite, Samsung LCD, Insignia LCD...

I've been told to stay away from Google TV for now.  Apparently the interface leaves much to be desired and isn't quite ready for prime time yet.  If you want internet TV, use your xbox or some other device that can get Hulu and Netflix.

I've been told to stay away from Google TV for now.  Apparently the interface leaves much to be desired and isn't quite ready for prime time yet.  If you want internet TV, use your xbox or some other device that can get Hulu and Netflix.

Originally Posted by DangerousG

Get a Plasma for the image. I suggest Panasonic.

/thread

Just copped two 50" plasma Panasonic Viera internet ready TVs, pic quality plus Netflix. Those TVs are quite possibly the greatest goddamn purchases I have ever made in my life. Plasma FTW.

-The Juice

Originally Posted by DangerousG

Get a Plasma for the image. I suggest Panasonic.

/thread

Just copped two 50" plasma Panasonic Viera internet ready TVs, pic quality plus Netflix. Those TVs are quite possibly the greatest goddamn purchases I have ever made in my life. Plasma FTW.

-The Juice

Back
Top Bottom