NT, school me on scrapping metal. Vol. $$

Originally Posted by INS

Just start stealing catalytic converters. Go to a huge parking lot and get in and out and make bank. Or rob the bank you work at/ get goons to rob the bank and make sure they shoot you in the butt or something so you wont be seen as a suspect and have them cut you half. You walk away with money and also paid vacation time.

Happened to my cousin in the middle of the night

Originally Posted by INS

Just start stealing catalytic converters. Go to a huge parking lot and get in and out and make bank. Or rob the bank you work at/ get goons to rob the bank and make sure they shoot you in the butt or something so you wont be seen as a suspect and have them cut you half. You walk away with money and also paid vacation time.

Happened to my cousin in the middle of the night

You could always rip aluminum siding off a house too. A lot of people back home go to old hydro damns and try and rip the copper wire out. usually they're too stupid to realize the wires are still hot and get hit with thousands of watts.

You could always rip aluminum siding off a house too. A lot of people back home go to old hydro damns and try and rip the copper wire out. usually they're too stupid to realize the wires are still hot and get hit with thousands of watts.

Originally Posted by copped

step one: buy a cheap pick up truck---yet reliable...something that can handle the daily heavy weight of metal

step two: find a buddy willing to help you pick-up/ go around with you hunting for metal ---need at least two guys picking up appliances/fridges etc.

step three: go hunting for scrap metal---advertise on craigslist and other local classifieds that you offer free scrap metal remover (appliances, metal cabinets, cars, etc.)...also drive around on garbage days through several neighbourhoods---some times people just throw !+*+ to the curb...also can post some flyers on bus stops etc.

step four: take the scrap metal to a metal scrapper or junk yard...you go through this giant scale...get out of the car, they weigh the truck with the metal in it...estimate the trucks weight... subtract the total weight minus the estimated truck rate and thats the weight you get paid for... you go into the office and they give you cash or check.

simple as that. ( i don't do this, but always wanted to lol)---the price of metal is up right now i think so you can get top dollar for metal.

basically. usually, you'll see a ford e250 or something similar driving around asking people for metal or help with removing garbage. by garbage, they'll take anything that would contain metals. at the end of the day, they'll sell whatever they have by the pound to places that recycles scrap metals.
then there's those that straight rob from construction sites and renovation project locations.

step one: buy a cheap pick up truck---yet reliable...something that can handle the daily heavy weight of metal

step two: find a buddy willing to help you pick-up/ go around with you hunting for metal ---need at least two guys picking up appliances/fridges etc.

step three: go hunting for scrap metal---advertise on craigslist and other local classifieds that you offer free scrap metal remover (appliances, metal cabinets, cars, etc.)...also drive around on garbage days through several neighbourhoods---some times people just throw !+*+ to the curb...also can post some flyers on bus stops etc.

step four: take the scrap metal to a metal scrapper or junk yard...you go through this giant scale...get out of the car, they weigh the truck with the metal in it...estimate the trucks weight... subtract the total weight minus the estimated truck rate and thats the weight you get paid for... you go into the office and they give you cash or check.

simple as that. ( i don't do this, but always wanted to lol)---the price of metal is up right now i think so you can get top dollar for metal.

basically. usually, you'll see a ford e250 or something similar driving around asking people for metal or help with removing garbage. by garbage, they'll take anything that would contain metals. at the end of the day, they'll sell whatever they have by the pound to places that recycles scrap metals.
then there's those that straight rob from construction sites and renovation project locations.

In all honesty, there is no money to be made in doing this. Don't think you can do this full time. Everyone knows you can sell metal, copper, etc. at the scrap yard. It's done by weight. Most contractors, if they have scrap metal from construction/demolition sites, etc. they will scrap it themselves. The only people making money doing this are low lifes who can't hold down a job or who need the money ASAP to buy drugs. I worked at many demolition sites and you wouldn't believe the people that would stop by and ask for scraps. Disgusting. Get a job.

A friend of mine has a dump truck, F550. He filled that with metal from a demolition site and took it to the scrap yard, he literally made like $50.00 dollars, and that was a dump truck worth, not your average pick up.

And if you have to result stealing from construction sites, etc. you will get arrested, even if it's been demolished. The scraps aren't yours.
t

In all honesty, there is no money to be made in doing this. Don't think you can do this full time. Everyone knows you can sell metal, copper, etc. at the scrap yard. It's done by weight. Most contractors, if they have scrap metal from construction/demolition sites, etc. they will scrap it themselves. The only people making money doing this are low lifes who can't hold down a job or who need the money ASAP to buy drugs. I worked at many demolition sites and you wouldn't believe the people that would stop by and ask for scraps. Disgusting. Get a job.

A friend of mine has a dump truck, F550. He filled that with metal from a demolition site and took it to the scrap yard, he literally made like $50.00 dollars, and that was a dump truck worth, not your average pick up.

And if you have to result stealing from construction sites, etc. you will get arrested, even if it's been demolished. The scraps aren't yours.
t

Originally Posted by romeo0o

I'm actually an accountant for a scrap company and the steps listed above are basically what you do.  We've got guys who have left us business cards that do this full time (we only p/u industrial size accounts at this point) and anytime someone calls and wants to get rid of scrap that they can't haul off we give them the number of one of our regulars.  The major key in getting big money from this is determining what types of metals you have.  In it's simplest forms we classify metals into 2 categories, Ferrous and Non-Ferrous.  The easiest difference between the two grades is anything that is considered Ferrous a magnet will stick to and therefore is likely worth less, examples iron/steel etc. 

Non-Ferrous on the other hand is much more expensive in value b/c it there is a large handling cost associated with it, b/c of it not being magnetic, examples of Non-Ferrous metals are stainless steel/copper/aluminum/brass.  As in other industries it's always good to build up a network on different levels to make money.  First off you build a network of people who give you scrap, if you take care of them, pick up there stuff quickly, don't damage their property in any way, maybe throw a few dollars here or there to show appreciation they spread the word to their friends who need stuff removed and then your volume starts to take off.  When your volume of metal to sale takes off, start working on the scrap yard you sell to.  More often than not, if you are bringing in decent volume you can get a little better price over there normal list price for your metal b/c the scrap yard doesn't want your metal going to a different scrap location.

Originally Posted by romeo0o

I'm actually an accountant for a scrap company and the steps listed above are basically what you do.  We've got guys who have left us business cards that do this full time (we only p/u industrial size accounts at this point) and anytime someone calls and wants to get rid of scrap that they can't haul off we give them the number of one of our regulars.  The major key in getting big money from this is determining what types of metals you have.  In it's simplest forms we classify metals into 2 categories, Ferrous and Non-Ferrous.  The easiest difference between the two grades is anything that is considered Ferrous a magnet will stick to and therefore is likely worth less, examples iron/steel etc. 

Non-Ferrous on the other hand is much more expensive in value b/c it there is a large handling cost associated with it, b/c of it not being magnetic, examples of Non-Ferrous metals are stainless steel/copper/aluminum/brass.  As in other industries it's always good to build up a network on different levels to make money.  First off you build a network of people who give you scrap, if you take care of them, pick up there stuff quickly, don't damage their property in any way, maybe throw a few dollars here or there to show appreciation they spread the word to their friends who need stuff removed and then your volume starts to take off.  When your volume of metal to sale takes off, start working on the scrap yard you sell to.  More often than not, if you are bringing in decent volume you can get a little better price over there normal list price for your metal b/c the scrap yard doesn't want your metal going to a different scrap location.

Originally Posted by PoloLax

t

Not always true.  Is it tough to make big money from this?  Yes it is; but I'm not aware of too many legal ways to make big money easily.  If you are please fill me in.

It takes some time and experience.  You've got to have a knowledge of metals, and what the grades are so you know what is worth picking up and what is not. A truck load of shreddable (one of the lower grades of metal we buy) may not be worth 20 bucks.  But a 5 gallon bucket full of copper could be worth $300-400 or more.

It's not a glamorious job and it's dirty/ugly work.  But we have multiple regular customers who sell us scrap at my company that make a very nice living from doing this.  

Originally Posted by PoloLax

t

Not always true.  Is it tough to make big money from this?  Yes it is; but I'm not aware of too many legal ways to make big money easily.  If you are please fill me in.

It takes some time and experience.  You've got to have a knowledge of metals, and what the grades are so you know what is worth picking up and what is not. A truck load of shreddable (one of the lower grades of metal we buy) may not be worth 20 bucks.  But a 5 gallon bucket full of copper could be worth $300-400 or more.

It's not a glamorious job and it's dirty/ugly work.  But we have multiple regular customers who sell us scrap at my company that make a very nice living from doing this.  

I have been renovating my old house for over 2 years now.

When I first moved in I made the mistake of putting a bunch of old plumbing pipes on the curb with other random scrap for trash. I never thought about it being worth money.

From then on I have scrapped every little bit of pipe and metal from the renovation process.

Have only made around $500 but every little bit helps.

I have been renovating my old house for over 2 years now.

When I first moved in I made the mistake of putting a bunch of old plumbing pipes on the curb with other random scrap for trash. I never thought about it being worth money.

From then on I have scrapped every little bit of pipe and metal from the renovation process.

Have only made around $500 but every little bit helps.

Bubbles.jpg

just steel rolls of copper wires like these and you will bank off it....you just need the people/equipment to move em
laugh.gif

copper_186x136.jpg

_46131441_copper.226.jpg

just steel rolls of copper wires like these and you will bank off it....you just need the people/equipment to move em
laugh.gif

copper_186x136.jpg

_46131441_copper.226.jpg

When you sell to places around my, they give you a in house license, take picture of you with the stuff, get ur driverlicense scanned and everything. I guess its a database to help track who nrings in what if it is suspicious or fits a theft.

When you sell to places around my, they give you a in house license, take picture of you with the stuff, get ur driverlicense scanned and everything. I guess its a database to help track who nrings in what if it is suspicious or fits a theft.

Back
Top Bottom