NT School Me on Snowboarding

I learned how to spray people last year
laugh.gif
....it's the new phenomenonamongst the elite. I'm going to Poconos in January $400 for a week
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by supreme math

I learned how to spray people last year
laugh.gif
....it's the new phenomenon amongst the elite. I'm going to Poconos in January $400 for a week
pimp.gif
I only do that to friends. Only $*!$$!%+! thing I do is kicking snow off my snowboard onto people when I'm on the lift. I remember one time Iwas on a lift and this dude fell right underneath me, then the lift stopped for a good 4 minutes and I'm just kicking away laughing hysterically saying@@%@ yo couch. Dude was just sitting there, taking it like a %#@%!
laugh.gif

4631684b3af81ac86217605abda805183fa0aff3.jpg

476364e248793789f7721a23c7236b3d0e0537f4.jpg

2 more weeks
pimp.gif

Man I can't tell you guys how bad I want to learn to snow board. Question for you guys who have been doing it for awhile. I have heard snow boarding is very similar to surfing, which I have never done, in the regard that core strength is very important. My core strength/balance is in top shape (I am a gym rat) and was wondering if this will help me pick it up a lot faster?
in some ways, the movements are similar to surfing, more so than they are to skateboarding. and yes, your core strength and balance will beparamount to you learning to ride. hope your thighs are in good shape, cause you're going to be riding in a crouched stance a lot. also, you'll bestopping to sit and rest every now and then, and you will have to have good leg strength to stand up again to continue your run.
Coming from Hawaii I don't even know how to dress right for the cold so snowboarding is probably the steepest learning curve I made for myself. At least I got years of skateboarding experience which many people tell me will help a lot. I can foresee myself freezing my butt off for sure even if I manage to get down some hills alright.
you won't freeze if you layer properly. up top, you want the base layer, a fleece or hoodie, then the shell. bottom layer should be baselayer, padded shorts, then pants. make sure you get snowboarding socks (wool socks that are padded in the right places). get good gloves (burton and romemake good glove). skateboarding experience is only helpful when you transition from all mountain riding to park riding, as a lot of moves are identical orsimilar (ollies, nollies, handrails, half cabs, etc.), but the act of riding and controlling a snowboard is totally different from riding a skateboard. thatis, unless you cop a lib tech skate banana, which has banana rocker (instead of reverse camber) -- copped one last season, and that sucker DEFINITELY feelslike riding a skateboard
pimp.gif
. i skateboarded for 10+ years and my first few times on a snowboard were still pretty tough. but once you hit that magic point(third or fourth trip), it all starts to come naturally.
My first time was March of this year. I went to Big Bear and got sunburn from the reflection of the sun off the snow, so look into sunblock. I wore jeans, so I'd definitely recommend snow pants. Gloves are also very necessary. I started off without them, and had to buy some. You will fall a lot, not matter how well you have the concept of how to control the board in your head. When you are able to stay upright, you will NOT be traveling as fast as you feel you are, so don't panic. I'd say half of my falls were bailouts because I was afraid I was going to somehow fly off the trail and kill myself. The only practical advice I can give is to keep whatever side of the board facing downhill elevated above the snow. Just know that if you fail in doing this, you will stop instantly and smash into the ground, lol. I did manage some impressive flips and slides in learning this rule though.
this is true only when you are starting to ride and are sliding aka skidding aka plowing, as opposed to carving aka riding along your edge. onceyou get used to actually carving on a snowboard, you are actually supposed to engage your downhill edge to change edges. but if you engage the downhill edgewhen you are sliding, hell yeah you will catch an edge. for beginners, wrist guards, knee pads and padded shorts are a MUST.

EDIT** just posted this then saw my mans up there with the skate banana
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
which one you ridin bro? i got the '59 with some rome sds 390 bindings. set up is CRACK.

Shapeshiftah wrote:
EDIT** just posted this then saw my mans up there with the skate banana
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
which one you ridin bro? i got the '59 with some rome sds 390 bindings. set up is CRACK.

Thank you sir. That's a 156. Was gonna go with the 59, but I felt like I needed a shorter board since I had a 59 before and it just felt toolong. As for the bindings, I got them for free and I sold my other board to my friend. Thing is, I want my Flow NXT AT bindings back. I'm gonna see if hewants to trade.

Thank you sir. That's a 156. Was gonna go with the 59, but I felt like I needed a shorter board since I had a 59 before and it just felt too long. As for the bindings, I got them for free and I sold my other board to my friend. Thing is, I want my Flow NXT AT bindings back. I'm gonna see if he wants to trade.
that's a pretty sick set up you got. i thought about the 56, but i'm 6'1", so i figured the 59 was a safer bet. i love the waymine handles though.

here's my set up plus me caught up in a storm right before it hit white out conditions (same day):

343972378.jpg

343972371.jpg

Park City opens on Saturday! I'm pumped, it will only be my second time going, but I had so much fun even though i was getting my #!+ handed to me by themountain.

So for the top is 3 layers and for the bottom is 2 layers in general? I still got about a month to prep so it's not panic time yet. Any recommendations ongood brands or otherwise to check out? Any specific materials or designs to look for? It's completely foreign to me. It's probably not as bad asking mysurfer friends about surf brands especially since most of them have skate lines which are shunned by the skate community.

There was a snowboard shop boom here for a while but due to low sales those guys had to close up shop. The In4mation guys used to run a snowboard related shopback in the day.

In the meantime I better go work on my core and start stretching. Can't even manage more than a nose grab on the skateboard so unless I get serious anyindy, melon, mute or stalefish grabs are going to be out of reach even if I do get some nice air.

1st time go to MT high more new rider friendly Gloves, Jacket, WP pants, Board boots, The way it had been in CA you will not be cold so dont overdo theclothing!

1st time go to MT high more new rider friendly Gloves, Jacket, WP pants, Board boots, The way it has been in CA you will not be cold so dont overdo theclothing!

ok well to start off id definatly reccomend trying to carve but if you start going to fast just power slide to a stop...its just like powersliding on askateboard keep the weight on your heels...you will get carving after a couple runs just keep practicing your first time out might be rough but you will get iteventually...i would also recommend bring lunch so then you dont have to buy it stick with water and i would bring like a sandwich so you get carbs

as for clothes our toes and fingers will definatly get the coldest first...i would go with mittens that seems to keep you the warmest.

last year when i went out snow got into my boots and then melted which caused my toes to absolutely freeze...we went really early and then stayed till thelifts shut off at this time my toes were blue...i heard that if you wear a newspaper bag this helps alot any one have info on this?

Any message boards or sites with more info I could browse? Although I don't doubt the info located here I think it's kind of silly some people expectNT to have the answers for everything.

I am going on Dec 5 for the first time as well. I am going to Chestnut in Galena, IL, if anybody has been there how is it? Thanks for all the info too.

So for the top is 3 layers and for the bottom is 2 layers in general? I still got about a month to prep so it's not panic time yet. Any recommendations on good brands or otherwise to check out? Any specific materials or designs to look for? It's completely foreign to me. It's probably not as bad asking my surfer friends about surf brands especially since most of them have skate lines which are shunned by the skate community.

There was a snowboard shop boom here for a while but due to low sales those guys had to close up shop. The In4mation guys used to run a snowboard related shop back in the day.

In the meantime I better go work on my core and start stretching. Can't even manage more than a nose grab on the skateboard so unless I get serious any indy, melon, mute or stalefish grabs are going to be out of reach even if I do get some nice air.
for base layers, you'll be good with pretty much anything you can find at a sports or outdoors store -- patagonia, hot chillys, underarmor. iknow burton makes that stuff, but it's kinda pricey.

for the mid layer, pretty much any hoodie or fleece will work. i like to look fresh in the lodge while eatin and sippin on hot chocolate, so i usually go witha dope hoodie, usually recon or dc shoe. fleece is better for stayin dry though.

for shells and pants, i rock with the skate inspired brands -- planet earth, dc, 686. planet earth pants are "slimmer fit," aka they don't lookxxxxl on you. i've got a dc shoe jacket, a planet earth john jackson jacket, planet earth gabe taylor pants, and 686 pants.

for boots, again, i prefer skate inspired brands -- i have a pair of thirtytwo and a pair of DC shoe boots. they look like straight up skate shoes.
Any message boards or sites with more info I could browse? Although I don't doubt the info located here I think it's kind of silly some people expect NT to have the answers for everything.
http://www.burton.com/Community/CommunityHome.aspx is good, but there's a lotof hatin and flamin going on; at least that's how it's been the past few seasons. but check out the advice for rookies section -- far less hatersthere.

I figured aside from the pants, boots and jacket I could try and keep it more true to what I usually wear. Not trying to be like those people who look likethey bought the insta Shaun White kit especially because I'm not really a fan no matter how many contests and gold medals he wins. Could be that he lookslike Carrot Top or that the whole two sport thing and X-Games constantly telling me I have to like him and Ryan Sheckler that turns me off. Probably just likehow there are millions of Kobe haters out there.

Bought a pair of Blind snowboadring pants back when Hawaii spots were finally figuring out sales were not what they expected especially since there are no snowcapped mountains near Honolulu but I think I'd feel safer with something from this millenium.

I'm just paranoid about being cold and cramping up since the coldest weather I've been in was probably mid 50's and that was during the summer/fallin California. Going to have look for some warm beanies or something since even weather that warm had me getting brain freeze.

One thing that newbies need to learn is how to get off the lift right. I've seen too many people get hurt because someone didn't know how to get offthe lift correctly.

Originally Posted by Purple Face

I just bought a board. Do I need to "prep" it or anything like waxing or whatever?
Yes make sure you get it waxed before you go up for the first time. I'd recommend that you get it waxed at a shop or something instead of tryto use that crappy brick wax.

So I understand the base layer is kind of fitted since it needs to be in contact with your skin to effectively wick away moisture. Should the fleece be kind offitted also or normal? Should I go a size up on the shell of is it sized accordingly? ie. a L shell is meant to fit over a L fleece? Might be able to get ahookup on a shell but the catch is having to get it sight unseen.

Found out there's only one snowboard shop here and it's located in Waikiki ($$$$$$) so I'm hoping I can try on some Underarmor or something atSports Authority for sizing and order the cold gear version online or something.

Just asked my friend about where we're probably going and the word was COLD so I'm wondering if the Cold Gear 3.0 or other brand equivalent would betoo much. If nothing else maybe go check out that place in Waikiki and go back later to buy what I can't get somewhere else.

I'm guessing the fit of the boots is important so they should not be bought online unless absolutely sure of the fit right? Some of the boots on ebay aretempting though. DC boots fit like DC shoes right? Nah I'll probably just rent some definitely maybe.

snowboarding is an expensive hobby son, get ready to be broke, i know cus i board at Mt High, oh and you are not ready for mammoth hahaha.

i recommend you buy your own board, screw rentals. There are lb to size scales online so you know what size to get.

As for clothing i recommend

gloves= grenades

pants= get some big %+@ highly water resistant ones.

jacket= same concept with pants

boots= burtons are too bulky for me, but thats all you... you have to try them on to see what you like

beanie and goggles are a must.

I ride in Tahoe and you don't need to be freaked out about the cold. You're going to be falling a lot and exerting a lot of energy so you'll getwarm. You'll be in SoCal so it's not that cold compared to if you were going to Utah or Colorado or even being in Tahoe. And if you're so concernedcheck the weather report when you get closer to the date so you can be prepared. You don't want to overkill and spend hella money you don't have to. Iusually ride with my with just a double layered long sleeved shirt underneath my snowboarding jacket. I don't have any problems with being cold.

Don't listen to that one dude that said to learn to carve. It takes more than a couple times to get carving down. Your first time you need to learn how tostop and slow down. It's easy to go down a mountain, but stopping is another thing. Last thing you want to do is collide with someone especially a littlekid. Learn heel side first and I most definitely recommend you getting a lesson first. It's not one of those sports where you teach yourself. Stick togreen trails or the bunny slope.

Gloves can be any waterproof snowsport specific gloves. Stay away from leather gloves. You don't need to be rocking the latest name brand stuff especiallyif you're only going to use it once.

When falling, put your hands in a fist. It'll help from not breaking your wrist. It takes some getting used to, but you won't have sore wrist in themorning. Oh yeah and get snowboarding socks. Those are really important.

So I understand the base layer is kind of fitted since it needs to be in contact with your skin to effectively wick away moisture. Should the fleece be kind of fitted also or normal? Should I go a size up on the shell of is it sized accordingly? ie. a L shell is meant to fit over a L fleece? Might be able to get a hookup on a shell but the catch is having to get it sight unseen.

Found out there's only one snowboard shop here and it's located in Waikiki ($$$$$$) so I'm hoping I can try on some Underarmor or something at Sports Authority for sizing and order the cold gear version online or something.

Just asked my friend about where we're probably going and the word was COLD so I'm wondering if the Cold Gear 3.0 or other brand equivalent would be too much. If nothing else maybe go check out that place in Waikiki and go back later to buy what I can't get somewhere else.

I'm guessing the fit of the boots is important so they should not be bought online unless absolutely sure of the fit right? Some of the boots on ebay are tempting though. DC boots fit like DC shoes right? Nah I'll probably just rent some definitely maybe.
yes, the base layer should hug the skin for moisture transfer. for the fleece or hoodie, i'm 6'1", so i usually wear a size L, andmy shells are also a size L and they fit perfectly on top.

the fit of boots is critical. i highly suggest you try some on at a store, as if they are tight in just one wrong spot, you'll be suffering all day. ilike dc shoe and thirtytwo because they both look and fit like skate shoes. super comfy for all day riding.

go to youtube and see if you can find any videos on "falling leaf."

take a one on one lesson.

and DEFINITELY get wrist guards and padded shorts.

Actually I'll be in Japan (either Gunma or Niigata depending on conditions) so I'm thinking the cold is going to be more of a factor than it would bethan in So Cal.

Definitely learning how to slow down and stop will take precedence. Really not crazy about flying of a hill, experiencing ligament and/or bone damage (again)or pulling a Sonny Bono (RIP).

Unless I can get some ******ed deals I'm not planning to buy anything more than I have to since it'll only be this once this year. Might put offgetting some things here since I hear Uniqlo (Japanese version of GAP) has some really good stuff for super cheap and Tokyo's only supposed to get as lowas the high 40's. Still paranoid about having a Cool Runnings incident over there though.

I could probably use my Rector wrist guards right?

Guess I'll have more info after I go check out a few places nearby and actually try on some stuff.

Back
Top Bottom